Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get exotic sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Jammer
We've all heard the Ferraris and exotic car exausts. Any ides on how to get a more exotic sound from an LS1 ?
Ferraris and exotic cars are a dime a dozen. No girl is going to walk up to one of those cars over a well modded 4th gen F-body. This is especially true if you have a properly combed mullet and a center mount exhaust. When the exhaust starts poppin', the panties start droppin'.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've noticed some vehicles getting a similar to 180 degree header sound from long tube headers, particularly equal length, sometimes tri-y, and multiple x- pipes to further blend the sound..
Nick Kautz has a fewvideos of a few versions.
So I did a mini project this weekend & made me a triple x-pipe section from modifying one side of a premade x- pipe & fabricating 2 more from used cheap factory stainless & aluminumized pipe.
Since I don't have an Italian made lazer guided liquid cooled mitre band saw I used a woodworking 7 1/4 " sliding mitre saw with a 7" diamond metal cutting blade & finished cuts off with a decently large woodworking bench sander. Did a combination of mig, recleaning , & tig welding since aluminumized pipe won't have super pretty welds anyway.
Plan for now is to next make a test fitting to hook up to my side exhaust, just to see what sort of difference it makes with just my crappy mid length headers. Ran out of time again as usual.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,019 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Basically you have made one big mid-pipe with a lot of splits in it. It will sound like one big pipe, however.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That mid-pipe design will most likely sound no different and could potentially flow less.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting idea, I would be interested to see how it goes for you.
I run tri-y headers and between those and the x-pipe it seems to really smooth out the idle and note, even with a 16 degree overlap cam it sounds kind of euro.
Not sure I'm the biggest fan of it personally, 4>1s with a H-pipe would probably be more to my liking sound wise.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

that BMW sounds awesome! Hope your result is the same!

Quick Reply: How to get exotic sound