Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004 | 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
I found this old thread of my old setup... the first half of the vid is through the Spintech muffler, the second is through the cutout... hope this helps.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedia-exchange/122490-tsp-231-237-cam-video.html
Man that sounds awesome.
Old 02-05-2004 | 07:47 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by gs462
Then i appologize foir my comments, i am new to the ls1 world, as u can see by my sig i've been a buick guy for years but i sold my low 11 second 87 ttype and wanted a "new toy" and am lookin for opinions and help on making my car faster is all i tried a search for just plain maf but got nothing thats why i posted, as for me exhaust i did buy the flowmaster but i have since changed to the spintech muffler, as i learn the flowmaster doesnt flow well and i think its wayyy too quiet.
ya, no problem man, sorry if i came across like a dick. just like southFL said, i get a bit irked seeing the same question over and over and over again . dont let that stop you from asking questions though, as you stated thats the best way to learn. this system search feature isnt as good as other boards but you can usually find more or less what your looking for by typing in something general (i.e; true dual pics, best header, what LT's, new maf, ect.)

and to the flowmasters defense it does sound good, my car came with it when i bought it used. it just flows like **** but sounds good. i had magnaflow next and now duals with 12" bullets
Old 02-05-2004 | 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've ran ported MAF ends for years with pretty decent results
Old 02-05-2004 | 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jim@pro-m
A properly calibrated mass flow meter does not necessairly fool the computer. If 2 meters are calibrated the same and one has less restriction than the other, it will produce proportionately more horsepower. Try running a race breathing thru a straw or a fire hose, which way can you run faster.
I can see your point...but at the same time us running a race breathing through a straw vs a fire hose is quite different because we dont need to tune our brains for a/f ratio...The stock MAF will support plenty of horsepower, so there is no need to step up to a 40 gallon tank when you can only put in and take out 20 gallons of water.
Old 02-06-2004 | 07:56 PM

I think it's funny how jrp installs a cam and is now automatically qualified to answer every technical question on the board and carry a know-it-all attitude. Reading the forums all day and having actualy experience are two very different things.

And about the MAF, when oxidizr was doing some baseline runs on my big-bore last week the car did 460rwhp with the stock MAF descreened then 460rwhp with an 85mm GMAF. Take that for what it's worth. That said, I hand-ported my MAF back when my car was mostly stock and it definitely felt stronger and I got better gas mileage, I think the 98 and 99's like ported MAFs.
Old 02-06-2004 | 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

A properly calibrated mass flow meter does not necessairly fool the computer. If 2 meters are calibrated the same and one has less restriction than the other, it will produce proportionately more horsepower. Try running a race breathing thru a straw or a fire hose, which way can you run faster.
your right... but who makes one that will give same voltage/frequency outout, between stock and aftermarket, at EVERY amount of air. ???

almost everyaftermarket maf i have seen, for the LS1's is designed like i said. The SLP maf is nothing more than a truck maf, with a resistor soldered across the wires, can you say that that perfectly calibrates it to stock?
That is why people run lean, and that is why people have detonation problems with them,

If they were fully calibrated, then those problems would not occur.

On the LS1's can you honesty say that the stock maf is a restriction in the intake system?

And one question, you can try to answer for me.. when you say "calibrated" what does that mean. Im assuming that is gives as close of an output, as a stock unit?

The MAF is a sensor, and if you know the maf transfer function, you can tune for any kind of maf in any system. But nobody published any data for the ls1 mafs, to my knowledge, so that is hard to do.

Ryan
Old 02-06-2004 | 08:19 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by MicahJam
I think it's funny how jrp installs a cam and is now automatically qualified to answer every technical question on the board and carry a know-it-all attitude. Reading the forums all day and having actualy experience are two very different things..
. ya, after heads, cam, headers, intake, timing chain, oil pump, catback, clutch, pulley installs and basic ls1 edit tuning and efi experience what do i know
Old 02-06-2004 | 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by jrp
. ya, after heads, cam, headers, intake, timing chain, oil pump, catback, clutch, pulley installs and basic ls1 edit tuning and efi experience what do i know
Apparently everything! Hey I'm sure you've helped a ton of people out here, but even if you did know everything, that's no excuse to be a wise-*** with the noobs.
Old 02-10-2004 | 12:14 PM
Staging Lane

well...back to the maf question....ive also heard that aftermarket maf's are crap, so i've ported my stock maf...but i'm deciding on whether to descreen or not...some say that the screen helps to make the flow more laminent which produces a better reading....for all those who descreened, what are your results?

and as for jrp, ive had some questions that he helped me out with before..and i greatly appreciate it...and i wouldnt give a **** if he told me i asked a dumb question...just as long as i get some useful answers....
Old 02-10-2004 | 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just so we all know - SLP's MAF DOES trick the computer to advance the timing. SLP warned me NOT to run the SLP maf with and SLP IAT for that specific reason - they both alter the timing curve.

Anyway, I descreened mine simply because the screen was damaged in one spot. Didn't seem to effect performance. You can simply take it in and out pretty easily - try it and see what happens - just give to puter a little time to adjust before you make a decision.
Old 02-10-2004 | 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Jim,

When you guys going to start building us some of your killer products?