Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pan Question....

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 08:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Oil Pan Question....

So I ordered a LS1 oil pan for a 99 Camaro LS1 from GMPartsdirect. I get it in, bolt it on, and I can not get a oil filter to fit it. I am not a noob. I have changed filters in the past. This has got me totally confused. The hole on the filter is too small. Do I need to try a different filter? The oil pan appears to be the right one. Just needing to know where to start.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Here's the deal buddy, I JUST went through this as well. You can't run the stock filter anymore. Why? Bc the filter screw on adapter is the wrong size. It will not accept a standard LS1 filter. Now, the resolutions. A. Figure out what filter you should be running and run that one or B. (the one I did bc I'm impatient) is unscrew the adapter out of the old pan if you have one and swap it into the new pan. My old pan's filter adapter had an inverted nut to grab onto. Meaning it was a hole in a hex shape to unscrew it. So obviously a socket won't work. What I did was found an old bolt head that fit inside the hole and welded a socket to the topside of the bolt. If you don't have a welder you may be able to get creative and get it off. If you can get it off, then remove the non-fitting one from the new pan and screw you old one in its place. Line the threads being screwed in with Teflon tape so it seals. Mine has worked perfect. It is kinda shitty that they don't send you a notation with the pan that states this change.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Resident

Damn, that sucks. I guess I will try the swap out process first. I will and mess with the old one first. That way if I mess it up, it won't be a big deal. Thanks for the info man! Greatly appreciated! I thought I was having a noob moment or something!
Old 12-12-2010, 08:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

No, I did a double take too like WTF? I can't screw on an oil filter? If you have some scrap bolts around you should be able to find one that fits in the hex slot. I suppose a hex socket bit from the auto parts store would fit (and I have a full set) but my mind just screamed "make a custom oil filter adapter thingy tool" and thats how it happened. Plus I like playing with the welder.

The new adapter should come out with a socket, no special tool needed for it.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:32 AM
TECH Resident

Lol. I'll check it out later. It's about 20 degrees outside right now. I have a garage, but just don't like rolling around on a cold floor. I'll do it later and let ya know how it works out. Thanks man!
Old 12-12-2010, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Cool man, I never took any pics of mine so if you get a chance snap a few and this thread can serve as reference for anyone else having this problem. I still have my brand new unused adapter, I might go up to the auto parts store and start pulling random filters out of the box until I find the right one and we can solve this damn mystery. Maybe it runs a version of the truck filter for better performance/higher capacity
Old 12-12-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

I tried all of the truck oil filters. I couldn't solve it. I have a buddy here that is the store manager of Advance Auto Parts and he let me take home about 15 oil filters. I thought I could make it at least fit one of them....Didn't happen.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

It should be the filter for an 08 Hummer H2. I had the same problem last year.

If i remember right its:
AC Delco ACPF48F
Fram FFPH10060
K&N K33HP1017
Old 01-04-2011, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jrpimp00
It should be the filter for an 08 Hummer H2. I had the same problem last year.

If i remember right its:
AC Delco ACPF48F
Fram FFPH10060
K&N K33HP1017
So did I and that solved my problem.