Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headers vs manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headers vs manifolds

need a little help here and hopefully I put it in the correct area.

have a '04 LQ4 in my wheelin rig. it has a mild cam and car intake (truck intake would not fit under the hood) and everything is stock that I know of (cept painless marine comp and harness)

my question(s) is this...... should I keep the stock manifolds or go to block hugger headers. I do not have room for long tubes and don't want to spend the time or possible expense of making some that would work.

not sure if the headers would be worth the couple hundred bucks and are the cheaper headers (like the hooker headers on summits website) good enough?

TIA
Old 12-26-2010, 08:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know those too well but I will say the 02 manifolds people ran in the 11's with then swapped to LT's. Not really a huge gain.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:47 AM
Teching In

thanks for the info.

anyone else?
Old 12-27-2010, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

The stock F-body manifolds flow pretty good for stock and I know on the 3rd gen swaps most say to just use the stock manifolds unless you are putting on long tubes. There is not a huge gain to be had when swapping to shorties from what I have gathered, but others may have another opinion.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Regular

See if there are any tri y doug thorleys for the ls1. They are a tad longer than shortys but major torque gains to be had with them. Idk for your application but that would be the best performance header before long tubes
Old 12-27-2010, 11:26 PM
Teching In

seems the tri-y stuff is more than I want to spend at this moment, but thanks. just to clarify, I'm not trying to find the magic bean that creates tons of HP for cheap. just looking to see if an inexpensive set of headers will help a little more with the cam (and also getting rid of the manifolds)

anyone know if LS1 headers are a direct bolt-on for the LQ4?

after looking at what room I have, something that hangs down a little less might be better for d-shaft clearance and stay closer to the floor boards

thanks again
Old 12-28-2010, 08:17 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

IMO anytime you can get a longtube or something similar to it on these motors it is worth it. LS1 headers will fit LQ4 motors no problem. These motors have always shown solid gains from improving the exhaust.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JohnJanz@Texas-Speed
IMO anytime you can get a longtube or something similar to it on these motors it is worth it. LS1 headers will fit LQ4 motors no problem. These motors have always shown solid gains from improving the exhaust.
appreciate the info, thanks. I know LTs won't fit unfortunately, that's why I was looking for info to see if the shorties or block huggers would be worth it.

not enough for LTs since it's all custom suspension on a rockcrawler

Quick Reply: headers vs manifolds