Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first H/C/I install

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oxblood!z28
...no really my H/C/I install fired up first try with no leaks and when it came on it sounded ferocious... ?
Awesome! Congrats man!

the bad news is the oil pressure gauge is reading no pressure...
****!
Old 04-17-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Not connected? Broken on intake install? Pinched O-ring on install possibly?

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
Good read, sucks you have no oil pressure after all that.

Is that oversized o-ring for the oil pump necessary when using an aftermarket Melling pump? Is this an o-ring for the pick up tube or the back of the oil pump?
It's a $2 gamble I'd make ANY DAY. I'd highly recommend using that thicker o-ring anytime you run an other-than-stock oil pump.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 04-17-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Definitely check the sensor behind the manifold. They are very easy to break
Old 04-17-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
^ Not connected? Broken on intake install? Pinched O-ring on install possibly?

It's a $2 gamble I'd make ANY DAY. I'd highly recommend using that thicker o-ring anytime you run an other-than-stock oil pump.
i agree, so were talking about which o-ring.....on the pick-up tube?
Old 04-17-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

nevermind i read it again
Old 04-17-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Is it not moving at ALL? -The gauge. if not, I'd just check the sending unit and go from there. I'd rather have to take an intake back off than the oil pump.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
Is it not moving at ALL? -The gauge. if not, I'd just check the sending unit and go from there. I'd rather have to take an intake back off than the oil pump.
yeah its not moving at all. the only time i've seen it move was when i turn it off completely with key out of ignition...it went up close to past the 1/4 mark near the 40...if that makes sense...I'm hoping its the sender but how would it be broken would it be cracked, or something?
Old 04-17-2011, 11:45 PM
TECH Junkie

More than likely the plastic shaft broke off, breaking the electric connector inside. I know with a stock intake manifold you CAN replace the sender without taking the manifold off. I've done it a few times on a few cars. You may or may not have to take it off with the FAST though..
Old 04-23-2011, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Taking Chances

I just started the car again and its still saying no oil pressure and I just replaced the oil sending unit behind the intake...so I rolled the dice and ran the motor for a little more than a min or until I saw movement on the temp gauge the odd thing is I didn't get and knocking or abnormal sounds. I did notice that the idle was dropping considerably so I checked to see if there were any vaccum lines not connected and sure enough there was a little nipple near the brake booster that wasn't connected. I went a head and connected it but didn't start it because I don't feel like chancing it again...My question is if it was the o-ring within the oil pick up tube wouldn't I get some kind of oil pressure, and if i'm not getting oil pressure and the oil pressure sending unit is replaced is there another sensor that may be disconnected or a possible ground wire that needs to be grounded? the pic is what it looks like when it is running
Attached Thumbnails My first H/C/I install-nikon.jpg  

Last edited by oxblood!z28; 04-23-2011 at 10:42 PM. Reason: update and clarification
Old 04-24-2011, 12:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

bump!
Old 04-24-2011, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

did you scratch up any cam bearings by chance?
Old 04-24-2011, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jetaws6
did you scratch up any cam bearings by chance?
I don't think so I used preassembly lube on the cam...
Old 04-28-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Questions for guys and update...I just removed the oil pump to inspect the o-ring and it was pinched pretty good. So now it needs to be replaced but how does this affect oil pressure?..I wasn't getting any...also is there a way to check if the oil pump is working correctly since its out I figure I can examine it...but I don't know what to look for...thanks I'm hoping by tommorow it'll be ready ....fingers crossed..
Old 04-29-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Update

Here we go again today I just finshed installing the new blue o-ring that was pinched pretty good and oil pump, but something very weird happened and I'm curious to know why...I drained the oil yesterday and noticed that the oil was a biege/cream color. Me and freind were thinking it could be from water but the consistancy is thick like oil and it had very few bubbles if any. this was fresh brand new oil castro gtx 5w 30 weight..about a week and half old.
After a fresh gallon of oil (same as above) we went a head and tunrned it over a few times with out spark and after a few consitant turns we removed the oil filter that was placed without oil to verify if the oil pump was working. Oil was coming out which I was told that the oil pump is workin but it was the same beige/cream color oil. This was a fresh gallon of oil not even 30 mins old...Any Ideas?
Here are some pics of the o-ring and the color of the oil if you can make it out.
Attached Thumbnails My first H/C/I install-nikon-195.jpg   My first H/C/I install-nikon-196.jpg   My first H/C/I install-nikon-197.jpg  
Old 04-30-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Regular

Does it smell like coolant
Old 04-30-2011, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When your oil turns that beige color that looks like a milkshake, its water/coolant mixing with your oil.

I know it sucks but since you had the heads off its possible that it where your coolant leak is coming from. That's one possible cause.

Last edited by Bramlok; 05-01-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the input guys...I'm gonna check to see if the color is still beige tommorow. I did solve the oil pressure problem it's pretty high some were around the 60 mark when warmed up. but it's I got oil pressure oh yess...
So it turned out that when I placed the spacer for the oil pump to clear the timing chain. I put it in wrong to the point were the spacer was blocking the pump causing it to prevent oil flow...
There are a few other things I need to figure out but it might need to go in another section but for the most part its running with oil pressure. Thanks for all inputs guys. Time for a cold one.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So it turned out that when I placed the spacer for the oil pump to clear the timing chain. I put it in wrong to the point were the spacer was blocking the pump causing it to prevent oil flow...
Holy **** dude, how has your ******* motor not completely eaten itself?
Go buy a lotta ticket, it's your lucky day.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MattxFatal
Holy **** dude, how has your ******* motor not completely eaten itself?
Go buy a lotta ticket, it's your lucky day.
I know right...pretty lucky...it was partially blocked not totally so maybe that saved me idk...its running now..

Quick Reply: My first H/C/I install