Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ebay 92 and 102mm throttle bodies...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 09:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The pictured throttle body looks as if it is a FAST TB. All these "mods" you are trying to do will do nothing but hurt you.

Do not drill a hole in the blade, there isnt one there on purpose. There is a screw that lets you adust throttle blade idel postion, so you can set your IAC right where you want it. A hole is non adjustable and perminant....

Dont "half shaft" or knife edge the blade #1. Airflow hates sharp edges and loses flow, think of a cylinder head on a flow bench...it flows 30cfm less without a nice radius.

Dont "half shaft" or knife edge the blade #2. A 102mm TB will flow more air than your engine could ever use, doing these stupid gimmick mods will only give you the chance to perminatly screw it up, with nothing possible to gain, leave it alone. Ive worked on a twin tubo 632ci and it used a 102mm TB.

The "hump" in the bottom is to help control airflow at low throttle postion. Think about how much larger of an area your opening up. 5% of a 75mm TB is much less than 5% of 102mm. So the "hump" stop air from flowing past the bottom of the throttle blade, and only lets it go by the top. Leave it alone also, this is one of the big difference between a quality TB and a cheap one.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you don't want a hole in the TB blade ,thats what the IAC is for.it looks nice ,a tuner will notice the difference.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as stated above, the hump is there to make light throttle inputs more progressive. If you remove it, like in a stock throttle body, it makes the car very jumpy and harder to control, or maintain a constant low speed. dont remove it! I also would NOT mess with the throttle blade or shaft, the shaft is 2 sided for a reason, that blade is HUGE and rapid slamming closed of the blades will bend the shaft and break screws if you take half of it away
Old 01-22-2011, 09:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
The pictured throttle body looks as if it is a FAST TB. All these "mods" you are trying to do will do nothing but hurt you.

Do not drill a hole in the blade, there isnt one there on purpose. There is a screw that lets you adust throttle blade idel postion, so you can set your IAC right where you want it. A hole is non adjustable and perminant....

Dont "half shaft" or knife edge the blade #1. Airflow hates sharp edges and loses flow, think of a cylinder head on a flow bench...it flows 30cfm less without a nice radius.

Dont "half shaft" or knife edge the blade #2. A 102mm TB will flow more air than your engine could ever use, doing these stupid gimmick mods will only give you the chance to perminatly screw it up, with nothing possible to gain, leave it alone. Ive worked on a twin tubo 632ci and it used a 102mm TB.

The "hump" in the bottom is to help control airflow at low throttle postion. Think about how much larger of an area your opening up. 5% of a 75mm TB is much less than 5% of 102mm. So the "hump" stop air from flowing past the bottom of the throttle blade, and only lets it go by the top. Leave it alone also, this is one of the big difference between a quality TB and a cheap one.
I figured the hump was there for a reason, thanks for the tip. I'm still debating on the other stuff. I have ported plenty of stock TB's, and of course the gains will be basically zero, but I have a plenty steady hand to not mess it up.

I figured out the no hole in the TB as well... I'm used to stock TB's but again thanks for the confirmation

Originally Posted by garygnu
you don't want a hole in the TB blade ,thats what the IAC is for.it looks nice ,a tuner will notice the difference.
Yup no hole

Originally Posted by Grr
as stated above, the hump is there to make light throttle inputs more progressive. If you remove it, like in a stock throttle body, it makes the car very jumpy and harder to control, or maintain a constant low speed. dont remove it! I also would NOT mess with the throttle blade or shaft, the shaft is 2 sided for a reason, that blade is HUGE and rapid slamming closed of the blades will bend the shaft and break screws if you take half of it away
Good info, thanks! I'm not convinced about the half shaft though, although it is definitely a thought. I've been running a half shafted stock TB for years now..

I'll take a good look again at the situation and see what I think.. I'm not going to mess anything up, so if I feel it is sketchy I will abandon the project..
Old 01-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

stock is a different story, a car i work on runs a 105mm TB and it has half shaft style attachment, so Im just talking from experience. We had a small backfire one day and it bent the blade a little and twisted the shaft as well. I made a double sided shaft for it and a thicker blade and havent had any problems, even with a much larger nitrous backfire late last year when the motor let go
Old 01-23-2011, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are you doing about that disconnected vent tube on the TB?
Old 01-23-2011, 10:57 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by InsaneAuto86
What are you doing about that disconnected vent tube on the TB?
I havent completely decided. How sealed do they need to be? It fits in there really snug..
Old 01-23-2011, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnet
Yea I haven't posted much over there, but I am. I'll probably start posting more though, A couple years ago when I joined it was a bunch of ricers so I didn't get back on till just recently..

You on sffba? I've been more active on there, but its pretty dead these days..

What is sffba? I havent heard of that before.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I found it. It says registration has been disabled.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:15 PM
Teching In

im thinking about getting the 92mm one has anybody tried one yet
Old 01-25-2011, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bowtieguy72
im thinking about getting the 92mm one has anybody tried one yet
Not the 92mm version, but it should be almost identical to the 102 I have which is REALLY nice, especially for the money..
Old 01-25-2011, 10:33 PM
Teching In

cool ill probly end up getting one then, like you said it cant be beat for the price as long as it works good
Old 01-26-2011, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Has anyone done a side by side comparison of both the eBay and the FAST 102 TB's? I'm about to buy a NW, but want a FAST. If this knockoff is FAST's design but cheaper, I'll hop on it.

Even just pics work for me.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Will a 92mm version work on a Fast 90??? If so I found my new tb!
Old 01-27-2011, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sommer86@6LE
Has anyone done a side by side comparison of both the eBay and the FAST 102 TB's? I'm about to buy a NW, but want a FAST. If this knockoff is FAST's design but cheaper, I'll hop on it.

Even just pics work for me.
nice to have a sponsor stand behind a stolen design....
Old 01-28-2011, 12:59 AM
TECH Addict

Well It turned out that it isn't a FAST design.....so they "told me". But it sure looks like one.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dewman
nice to have a sponsor stand behind a stolen design....
Old 01-28-2011, 01:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

That sponsor doesnt sell throttle bodies
Old 01-28-2011, 08:31 AM
TECH Resident

I posted up a thread about ebay throttle bodies a while back and didn't get many responses. Glad someone took the plunge! Now if you install it and get it to idle I'd buy one too. Something about spending $300 for a TB mades me a little nauseous.

As for stolen design, I mean it's a cable driven 102mm throttle body. Most LS1 throttle bodies are going to be pretty much the same thing, just different sizes.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Veteran

+1 dude, thats like criticizing exhaust companies for stealing each others design. The only real special aspect of the 102 is the hump at the bottom to improve low speed driving. And ive seen this TB on Sommers intake, it looks great

Quick Reply: Ebay 92 and 102mm throttle bodies...