Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks fbody dual fitment issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Kooks fbody dual fitment issues

FYI, I recently bought this setup. I'm not to pleased with the fitment quality on mine. Fighting day after day once I get home from work to get this thing lined up. Had to buy a tailpipe expander to round out the (oval) connection points. Only thing left is the left tailpipe piece. But it won't slip over the (over axle) tube. After 4 hrs of cussing it looks like the (OD) slip connection wasn't made to proper diameter. (too small) Now wtf. I've tried to expand that slip, but the expander doesn't work here since you can't fit it all the way in.
I know I know, call Kooks. But what can they do? I've got 12hrs in something that should have taken 2.......

The lesson here I guess is to completey check the fitment of all pieces before attempting to install.....

UPDATE: 3-24-11
Read the whole thread before posting. I've ended up having to cut and reweld/add material for mine to fit
right. Kooks basically gave me the runaround for 2 months then wanted to charge me $550 for a replacement
piece offering to refund it only after I paid to box mine up and leave it for will-call to be picked up. I
don't trust them anymore and feel their customer service is practically nonexistent.

Last edited by moneypit00; 03-24-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is why i have my exhaust done by the pro's. each car is different, and there are usually small discrepancies in even the best exhaust makers systems.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:07 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moneypit00
FYI, I recently bought this setup. I'm not to pleased with the fitment quality on mine. Fighting day after day once I get home from work to get this thing lined up. Had to buy a tailpipe expander to round out the (oval) connection points. Only thing left is the left tailpipe piece. But it won't slip over the (over axle) tube. After 4 hrs of cussing it looks like the (OD) slip connection wasn't made to proper diameter. (too small) Now wtf. I've tried to expand that slip, but the expander doesn't work here since you can't fit it all the way in.
I know I know, call Kooks. But what can they do? I've got 12hrs in something that should have taken 2.......

The lesson here I guess is to completey check the fitment of all pieces before attempting to install.....

There are allot of things we can do for you. First we can send you the components you need that you claim are damaged. There are so many variables here it could have been damaged in transit. As for the installation I would have liked to talk to you about your method that you are installing it by and what you are installing it on. Lift or jack stands? If you would like to discuss this with me please feel free to call me at 704 768 2271. My name is George R. Thanks I look forward to talking to you soon. I will be out of the office today from 11 till 1.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Regular

I need to say this before someone else does. Sorry to hear about your experience but included in the price of your exhaust is Kooks customer service(which is one of the best in this industry). Hope everything works out for you.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

OK, I'm back. Finally got the left tailpipe on. Albeit the (OD) connection is a bit coned out now. Next issue. Why on earth was this designed with welded tips. On a TA that means alignment must be absoutely perfect. Well, it's not. Just like the announcement thread pics the drivers tip is angled. That means in order to change that angle you must raise the left pipe, but I can't since it's sitting there on the hangers. So then you must lower the over axle pipe. Tried that too. I'm stumped here.
Next issue, the tips don't fit inside the exhaust opening on my TA. Camaro....not an issue. But the bumper is rubbing on both sides of the tip. Only options I see are.....
a. lower the tip until it has clearance, which woud look stupid
b. cut out the opening larger, should I have to????
c. drill on the corners and attatch safety wire to pull them up and out.
again. Should I have to?

Wish there were pro's around here, but that's not the case. No shop likes installing something you didn't buy from them. Not around here. You can't install the over axle pipe without a lift. But it's on stands right now.

Damn those welded tips.........

I'll try and call when I can find the time, maybe late Fri.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

I did mine in less than 2 hrs went together like a breeze
Old 01-08-2011, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

Glad to hear it.

Anyhow, I'll probably tackle this again later today. When I'm done I'll post some pics of all the problems for others to see.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:39 PM
Teching In

OK, I'm back. Finally got the left tailpipe on. Albeit the (OD) connection is a bit coned out now. Next issue. Why on earth was this designed with welded tips. On a TA that means alignment must be absoutely perfect. Well, it's not. Just like the announcement thread pics the drivers tip is angled. That means in order to change that angle you must raise the left pipe, but I can't since it's sitting there on the hangers. So then you must lower the over axle pipe. Tried that too. I'm stumped here.
Next issue, the tips don't fit inside the exhaust opening on my TA. Camaro....not an issue. But the bumper is rubbing on both sides of the tip. Only options I see are.....
a. lower the tip until it has clearance, which woud look stupid
b. cut out the opening larger, should I have to????
c. drill on the corners and attatch safety wire to pull them up and out.
again. Should I have to?

Wish there were pro's around here, but that's not the case. No shop likes installing something you didn't buy from them. Not around here. You can't install the over axle pipe without a lift. But it's on stands right now.

Damn those welded tips.........

I'll try and call when I can find the time, maybe late Fri.
hows it going with this, i am looking into buying this setup and your the first i have heard about problems with this setup on a ta
Old 01-16-2011, 02:11 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah for the price it should put it self on lol,seems like kooks is willing to help ya out though,
Old 01-17-2011, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

UPDATE, I ran into some health problems on top of this. Got a blood clot in my leg that's kept me off my feet and out of work for awhile. Back to the Doc today and I'm hoping to get back to this here shortly. I'm going to call Kooks today with some questions. Look for more updates soon......
Old 01-17-2011, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

get well soon moneypit00!!!!
Old 01-26-2011, 01:23 AM
On The Tree

Talked to George at Kooks on the 17th. Very nice guy. He asked for pictures to get a better understanding of what's going on. Sent those the 17th... and that's the last I've heard from anyone. I didn't want to be a nag calling everyday. I'll try again tomorrow.....

Here's one with the crooked tailpipe tip. Can't turn the tip since it's welded.
Attached Thumbnails Kooks fbody dual fitment issues-dsc01152.jpg  

Last edited by moneypit00; 01-26-2011 at 01:27 AM. Reason: just adding more info
Old 01-26-2011, 06:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow those are nice looking tips, sorry they fit like ***

I love to be able to afford this exhaust, but its just too $$ for me when i could spend it on go fast parts lol. I settled for just the 1 7/8 hedaers with their Y. Maybe someday ill pick on of these up used from someone.

Give them a call again. They are amazing when it comes to solving problems with their products
Old 01-26-2011, 06:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Sorry for the delay it has been little crazy around here to say the least. It looks like you need to rotate the entire muffler assembly. That system is going to be very hard to put on jack stands and get it properly aligned. There is a bunch of adjustability in the entire system. Can you get some pics to me of the rest of the system? Thanks
Old 01-26-2011, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You guys might want to reword your instructions with this system:

"A life is highly recommended in the installation process of these components. If a vehicle lift in not accessible to you, a jack and four jack stands may be substituted."

Yea, a life helps HAHA! You might want to call out the need for a lift for alignment on your website and instructions so folks know before they invest 12 hours...

Originally Posted by GeorgeR@kooks
Sorry for the delay it has been little crazy around here to say the least. It looks like you need to rotate the entire muffler assembly. That system is going to be very hard to put on jack stands and get it properly aligned. There is a bunch of adjustability in the entire system. Can you get some pics to me of the rest of the system? Thanks
Old 03-16-2011, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

update:
The car is still on stands. Still sitting there with the same issues as 2 months ago. I'm done talking to George. He never calls back. It's "I'll send these to tech and see what they say" That was once in january and then just last week here in March. Then it's "let me see if we have another drivers section outside here" Days pass on and I'm left calling back again. George told me monday that they designed the drivers rear with another slip fit and he was sending out another. Took my address and all.
Then I get a call today. From Kook jr himself. He explains to me that before he is willing to send out another piece he wants me to adjust it more. Says that by the pics the whole thing needs to be pushed toward the drivers side of the car. Then he tells me the hangers need flipped and that they should be hanging straight up and down.

Problem! And I knew this would happen. As soon as I start to adjust the kit left "looking from the rear" the tips go left as well. Now the tips are no longer centered.
Problem! The hangers supplied in the kit are welded 3" offset. You can flip'em any way you like. The mounting point is going to be offset either in or out.
Problem! Drivers tip is still crooked and recessed further in the bumper than the passenger side.

I went back to Kooks video of there final install. Look at the car as it takes off in the parking lot. I'll be damned. Crooked *** drivers tip.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

Looks like I'm going to have to buy a digital camcorder just for this fix. I'm going no where fast on this install and I don't think kooks believes me regarding these pics.

Hmmmmmm....7 hr drive to their shop..........I shouldn't have too!
Old 03-16-2011, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

should I be ok with this?
Attached Thumbnails Kooks fbody dual fitment issues-dsc01154.jpg   Kooks fbody dual fitment issues-dsc01151.jpg  
Old 03-16-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

its a little off. you have a right to want it centered for paying that kind of money imo.

sorry for you having a hard time with it.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Veteran

I've never been a fan of those quad tips, but those look AMAZING! They seem bigger than how they looked when I first saw it. Looks AWESOME on the TA valance!

And every pic I've seen of this exhaust has that crooked driver's tip.

Quick Reply: Kooks fbody dual fitment issues