Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust/suspension is rattling/clanking(video)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust/suspension is rattling/clanking(video)

so i just had a thread about what exhaust i should get and i think im just gonna keep my magnaflow and get LT's and a cutout. BUT my exhaust or suspension is making some annoying *** sound . i hear even when i go over even slight bumps in the road and i cannot figure out what the hell the sound and its driving me nuts...is so here are some vids

Old 01-26-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

cant really tell from the video, dont sound good,, Jack the car up all the way off the ground on jackstands, and just start grabbing things and see if you can find whats making the noise, Try your exhaust, start at the front and just wiggle and pull, NOT TOO ridiculous here no superman stuff, as far as suspension with the tires off the ground grab the tire and wiggle back and forth and up and down, see if there is any slop. Another thing to check is your transmission mount, make sure its not broken, and your anti-sway bar links. Hope this helps
Old 01-26-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

i adjusted the the exhaust like 3 times and it doesnt really move that much except the passenger side tip a little. im starting to think its something else ill def have to check the transmission mount and anti way bar links though i had the guy i work with look under the back as i kinda jumped up and down lightly and said it sound like it was coming from the anti sway bar... idk its def coming from the back of the car...
Old 01-26-2011, 08:25 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I can't see **** in that video and I hear less LOL.

What year is this car?

Does the sound happen when the front wheels hit a bump or the rear?

Front: Upper & lower control arm bushings, sway bar (check the sway bar chassis brackets-they break) ball joints, shock mounts.

Rear: Control arm bushings, shock mounts, torque arm bolts in rear, mount in front, transmission mount (to crossmember).

Also: There's several heat shields, they could be loose.

You may need to put the car on a four post lift (a drive-on lift) which lifts the car by the wheels. You'll be able to check the exhaust while the suspension is loaded.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

its a 02 z28. its definiatly coming from the rear area of the car. idk im starting to think its something to do with the suspension, unless something came loose inside the muffler itself. but ill def take a look at all the stuff you mention. and turn up the volume... you'll def here it lol and not much too see only took a video so u can hear ill try to take a better one once it stops snowing, just got hit with a storm tonight.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:01 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by z28camaross2
just got hit with a storm tonight.
Yeah. I'm gettin buried here. Again. This SUCKS. All I have is the T/A. Stuck home again....

I forgot-have a good look at the pan hard rod and it's re-inforcement bracket.

How many miles on this sled? Have you been driving the same carpet-bombed roads I have here in NYC? LOL...
Old 01-26-2011, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

63k on her and the pan hard bar does look like it has a dent in it from my exhaust cause it used to bang on it before i adjusted the pipes.

but yeah man this winter getting snow every few days has been brutal yeah the camaro is my only ride so im pretty much stuck too. wish i had enough for a truck too but i wont give up my f-body lol
Old 01-27-2011, 08:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What shocks do you have? The stockers are not very good. Look into SLP Bilsteins or Konis if that's one of the issues.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have stock shocks. Still Im pretty sure I doubt the older fellow I got the car from put new ones on it with only 24k miles
Old 02-22-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i figured out what the sqeeking sound was. it was my torque arm i guess when my buddy's shop rebuilt my rear in august they didn't tighten the torque arm bolts all the way and the progressively got looser they were pretty damn loose you could see it moving clean as day. i tightened both bolts back up tight as i could while the car was jacked but i think when i put it down and leveled it out there the bolts could be tightened a little more the noise went away 75% but i can still here it.

also can anyone tell me what the sound in this video is i cant even hear my exhaust over it, i thought it was the tires or something so i switched my old snow flakes on and it still made the sound, im praying its not my rear.

the sound you hear in the video is not my exaust btw idk what it is but its almost to the point where i dont wanna drive the car till its fixed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usGMmVvY3BM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JsNo-B3_3A
Old 02-23-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

bump.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that sound comming toward the rear or under the center console? That def sounds like a rear on its way out.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

My first guesses is transmission or rear end. I think that's the only possibilities.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

its def coming from around the rear. i mean a year ago my rear made the same sound and the used dealer warranty covered it and replace the stock 2.73 got me 3.08 posi center and new axles and bearings. could it be the bearing are shot?
Old 02-23-2011, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

My rear end was making a similar noise but wasnt as loud a few years ago. My carrier bearings were shot, but were replaced under a warranty. Honestly the only things that I think can be your probem is 1) rearend, 2) Driveshaft U-joint.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

i was looking around and this is what i found( i know weird video but same sound i haveand seems like its my problem ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdRpn...1&feature=fvwp

and also ill also have to consider the driveshaft Ujoint because since the torque arm bolts were loose the rear looked like it would face down slightly and the drive shaft would push down as well when moved with a bit of force because thats house i noticed it my drive shaft and rear moved (alot)
Old 04-11-2011, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

so i got the sound in the cruising video fixed. it was bad bearings eating the axle up, both were bad because the shop that rebuild it the first time put the wrong ones in the new shop i brought it to said. they only replaced one side and the sound went away for about a month and a half. now it sounds like its coming back "slightly" though it might just be the other side that wasnt replaced yet. ** so if it is the other side should i fork up another 450 to get that side fixed after i've paid the new shop $1000 to fix what the first shop did wrong. OR should i just save up the $2200 for a new moser 12 bolt instead and just deal with the sound till i get it.

also when im cruising and let off the gas then give it some gas again sometimes i hear a slight clunk , i also hear this sometimes when putting it in reverse or drive ( A4) from park. could this be something to do with the drive shaft. in the pic below you will notice how close it is to my magnaflow I pipe.

Driveshaft and i pipe:

and also my trans mount looks to be torn in the pic below if so what is the best option prothane trans mount? and idk what rubber piece that is to the right of but it seems to be making an anoying sound in the video below not sure though.

Trans mount:

rubber idk lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6c6JU--O6k
Old 04-11-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bump.