Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McCord vs. DMH cutouts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pipeless416
went with the badlanzHPE 3" custom stainless Y, e-cutout, and turn down tip. thanks for all the help everybody!
Good luck with that POS. Thats is the worst cutout of them all.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

you're the first i have heard say that after reading about them all over the place. guess we'll see
Old 01-31-2011, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Exclamation

Nice to hear you support your statement with a long list of FACTS.

I don't know anything about that brand, but at least substantiate your statement.

Originally Posted by Hard Core Z28
Good luck with that POS. Thats is the worst cutout of them all.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:51 PM
Staging Lane

they're all stainless steel and have a 5 year warranty..FYI
Old 02-09-2011, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

ok guys, i'm getting ready to have this installed and i have a question about the power source. i have already posted this in the electronics section, but i'm looking for a quick answer.

Cliffs: Assuming this is supposed to go to a TCS switch, will the pink wire still have power? It's a non TCS car..

Here's the long post.

Hey everybody, I'm installing an electric cutout and I was looking for a power source. It doesn't matter if it's switched or not.. I would actually prefer not switched since I don't have any lights or anything for the cutout. I was going to originally splice into the power for the cigarette lighter, but then i noticed this piece coming out of the harness. I have a non-TCS car. Is that what this harness is for? If so, will the pink wire have power? I'm down at school and I don't have a multimeter down here, so I was hoping somebody could help me out. Also, which wire is the ground? If I could use this for my power source that would save me from having to hack into wires that are actually used.

TIA

PS- sorry for the picture quality. I didn't think to bring a real camera out.
Attached Thumbnails McCord vs. DMH cutouts?-photo0301.jpg  
Old 02-09-2011, 11:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

You can get a digital multi-meter from harbor freight for $5. Also, you can buy a needle type for about the same at the auto parts store. I would not take anyone's word on it. Check for yourself. And if you need a ground, run one yourself.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
You can get a digital multi-meter from harbor freight for $5. Also, you can buy a needle type for about the same at the auto parts store. I would not take anyone's word on it. Check for yourself. And if you need a ground, run one yourself.
Thanks for your reply and i'll be taking your advice on running my own ground. i was asking about the positive having power because the cutout is going in on friday and i was hoping to have the switch and everything in place before then. just wondering if anybody knew off the top of their head. i did talk to one of my professors and i'm going to borrow a multimeter. all is well again. thanks!

on a side note, i found a crap ton of change that i didn't see the first time i had the console off.. i also missed a few cigarette butts from the previous owner.. the first time i vacuumed out ~60-70 of them from under there.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Consider that even though there may be a 12+ source there, is it adequate to run the cut-out motor? Are you needing a 12+ to turn on a relay or were you planning on running it direct to the motor? That circuit may feed a stock relay which means it isn't suitable for current draw. Why wouldn't you just go directly to the fuse-box for a 12+? Its only 2 feet away
Old 02-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Consider that even though there may be a 12+ source there, is it adequate to run the cut-out motor? Are you needing a 12+ to turn on a relay or were you planning on running it direct to the motor? That circuit may feed a stock relay which means it isn't suitable for current draw. Why wouldn't you just go directly to the fuse-box for a 12+? Its only 2 feet away
i'm still kind of new to the car modding thing.. atv's are my thing! if i had a dollar for every minute i spent reading on here i would retire by 25.

im thinking im going to temporarily use the cigarette lighter source for power since i know that will be adequate. this is going to be more temporary than anything until i get home for spring break and i actually have the right tools. i mostly just want to have a working cut out for the time being. thanks for all the help. can't wait for tomorrow.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Cigarette lighter socket would be much better bc without knowing much of anything we know its good for a solid 15-20 amps of current flow. I dont know how much cut-outs pull but its not worth risking it on unknown circuits in the car.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:30 AM
Teching In

You could always just wire it directly to the battery, the only downside would be the extra wire required and it would operate even with the car off.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by OK_95TransAmLT1
You could always just wire it directly to the battery, the only downside would be the extra wire required and it would operate even with the car off.
i may eventually do that, but right now it's basically hooked up to a direct source from the battery anyway. that only really matters if your cutout has LEDs that go with it to tell you if its opened or closed. since mine doesn't, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OK_95TransAmLT1
The cig lighter is always on thats why you can charge your cell phone even when the car isn't on to accessory or started. But I think the power output does change because the times I used to inflate a tire with the cig lighter adapter inflater, it works quicker and gets more juice.

OP if you decide to wire it to the lighter , make sure you check the readings with the battery on and off before you use the cutout.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wired mine to the cig lighter.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does the DMH switch have an LED in it?
Old 03-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Did McCord go out of business? I have been trying to access the website but its been down for a while.

http://www.mccordcg.com/
Old 03-11-2013, 12:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pipeless416
i have pretty much ruled out QTP after reading all the negative reviews on here about them. i realize they all have problems, but it seems like more people have had issues with them. probably just a result of more being sold. another one i have been looking at is the badlanzHPE. it offers a 5 year warranty and you can buy all the parts separate.

does anybody know if the DMH will stop moving when its fully open or closed? i hear that many of the cutouts die from the button being held too long.

also, after some more reading it seems that the stock I-pipe is 2.75"D. will a 3" y pipe mount up to that okay?
If thats your problem, you could just hardwire it?
Old 03-11-2013, 03:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My McCord lasted about 8-10 years but eventually the
gears got loose enough for it to bind up. Regular service
to the little gearhead would probably have extended this,
but after a year undercar you can forget that (corrosion
of the tiny fine screws) unless you had the foresight to
disassemble and anti-seize them all.

My power feed is taken from the driver's seat power. It
has plenty of fusebox capacity yet seldom sees any load
at all. Also relatively convenient for undercarpet routing.

I have the 3" plate at the axle bend of the I-pipe. People
keep reposting the picture. 3" stainless collector stubs
from Jeg's matched up properly. This is however the SLP
CME catback, which might differ from stock diameter,
a little. Still if you're welding it on you have plenty of
opportunity to beat metal into shape.

Quick Reply: McCord vs. DMH cutouts?