Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you like your Magnaflow catback?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do you like your Magnaflow catback?

I am looking at the Magnaflow Catback for my 2002 WS6. I have some questions. How is it holding up? Did it change tone after break in? How is the interior noise? I found it at WS6Store.com for $569.99 shipped. Hard to pass that up!!!
Old 02-22-2011, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

I love mine. Sounds great and haven't noticed any change in tone. It's a bit loud inside, but I have a big cam and no cats, so that is probably the biggest factor. I painted mine black, so corrosion is no problem.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

with my slp longtubes and gutted cats it sounded pretty healthly. other mods were FAST 78, polished TB, Suncoast SS hood with ram air box and a super chips handheld and stock internals. if i get another camaro, ill prob get another set. kindof miss them but needed all the flow i could get with my TDs
Old 02-22-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sdxp787
I am looking at the Magnaflow Catback for my 2002 WS6. I have some questions. How is it holding up? Did it change tone after break in? How is the interior noise? I found it at WS6Store.com for $569.99 shipped. Hard to pass that up!!!

Alot of people love magnaflow because its a stainless steel system for pretty damn good price. It sounds okay. Its not loud at all. People like it because its somewhat on the quiet side, and not really loud so its bearable. I just got rid of my magnaflow for TSP duals dumped. Duals own magnaflow on all levels.

If i were you i would look into hooker catback instead of magnaflow. Hooker and magnaflow are probably the same as far as loudness, but hooker has a more deeper, rumble muscle sound than magnaflow. But i would look into duals..it will put a smile on your face all day long..
Old 02-22-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the magnaflow catback with longtubes and an off road y pipe. It is pretty tame. I do have a cutout and a bullet muffler in the i-pipe. The bullet took away almost all the rasp and made the tone a lot better. Its pure loud sexyness with the cutout open
Old 02-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Hi,
a view point from the old man!!!!!! I love my install and the sound is greatttttttttttt.............I didn't want alot of cabin disturbance......I trust you will be happy with your choice.......have a blessed day!!!!!jim
Old 02-22-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Magnaflow is pretty tame so be prepared.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Quiet, tug boat tone, and not the best fitting. I regret mine but to each his own. You can find plenty of clips - go with what you like! Might want to give Hooker a listen. It's a pretty popular alternative.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

here is a better price bud and a video of one with lt's ory and cutout

http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...a4ff5aea8094d3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJijHKJRTVA
Old 02-22-2011, 10:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Had one on my 98 z28 with dynatech lts and ory and I liked it. I like my borla on current car better though
Old 02-22-2011, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

You can find a used one on here for a fraction of the new price, shop around a be patient, they are always for sale.
I have learned this a a great starter exhaust, nice and tame, and sounds good at WOT. But as it grows on you, you may find yourself wanting more, especially the more mods you throw at it. Overall, it is a nice quality exhaust, stainless steel which looks great too and will last a long time. For me, I out grew it once I went with H/C, it was just too quiet and I wanted the car to be heard coming.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

Mine was awesome with Mac headers and an ORY. Nice and subdued but throaty at idle and roared at WOT. You could probably find a really good deal on a used one. I'll actually have one for sale here soon
Old 02-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the replies. I am not looking for loud, just a deep mellow tone and stainless steel. I put a Magnaflow on my truck after removing the rusted out Flowmaster and the Magnaflow was much louder. I understand that with Magnaflow, there are three muffler sizes to choose from. I chose the middle. Wish I would have chosen the largest. I love the looks of the Magnaflow on the T/A. I have listened to their soundbytes on their website and it sounds good to me, just don't want the interior drone.

Thanks for all the replies, you all have been a great help. I know on another post I said I was going to leave it stock, but.....I can't stand the look of the stock tips. Looks like they are from Walmart. So, since the quad tips in SS are expensive, I just thought I would go with an entire system.

Next, I just have to get my hands on a set of RPM 505's!!!! I love the way Chamans TA looks with them....just can't decide...silver or black???
Old 02-23-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out speed tweekerz on here, they have a thread in the sponsor sale section. I got my single tip magnaflow for under 400 shipped! Got it quick too!
Old 02-23-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sdxp787
Thanks for all the replies. I am not looking for loud, just a deep mellow tone and stainless steel. I put a Magnaflow on my truck after removing the rusted out Flowmaster and the Magnaflow was much louder
You must have had a 3 chamber because flowmasters are much louder than magnaflows on ls1 cars assuming its either a 40 or 80 series. MF seems to be what you are looking for. Nice, and deep with LT's and a mild cam. Good luck.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 180ls1
I have the magnaflow catback with longtubes and an off road y pipe. It is pretty tame. I do have a cutout and a bullet muffler in the i-pipe. The bullet took away almost all the rasp and made the tone a lot better. Its pure loud sexyness with the cutout open
I have the same set up.

It's pretty tame when it's closed. Then a beastly sound emerges with a flip of a switch.

I like it.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHXUmxvsOF4

i love mine, nice and quiet when i want and then loud as hell with the push of a button.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:08 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It really all depends on your mods,I think its great ,but it is the most quite cat back you can buy,honest on a stock car the slp lm1 sounds great,best exhaust for a stock set up,but if you plan on mods I would stay away from the lm,honest if your about to spend 570 I would advise you to look into a gmmg,imho the gmmg is the best catback for our cars,
Old 02-24-2011, 06:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The Magnaflow is great if you want a quiet system. If you want a decently loud setup run an ORY and the magnaflow...almost the perfect balance of loud at WOT and quiet at cruising. However if you run cats with it....be prepared to be super disappointed....almost sounds like stock. But all in all I am happy with the magnaflow. Im running long tubes, ory, and the magnaflow. When i first put it on i had a catted y on it, and when we were done with the install my buddy said at first start up he saw my face drop cause it was so quiet lol...On another note IMHO its also the best looking system out there but thats all subjective.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:41 AM
12 Second Club

I like my magnaflow. Only mods right now are a Ported TB,Fernco,lid with K&N..

Not to loud and doesnt draw attention. Sounds real good cruising also.

Installing some LT's and ORY I just bought and of course that will louden it up just a tad.

But from all the soundclips I was interested in. If you want to stay under the radar...even aftering LT's, and eventually a cam.. Magnaflow is the way to go.

Plus if you want loud..just throw a cutout on there..or two