Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker longtubes on LS6 Crate Engine HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what should I do? Keep trying or send both sets back and try Pacesetters or mid lengths or put my exhaust manifolds back on and screw it?
Old 03-13-2011, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

take out that pedestal??
Old 03-13-2011, 08:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
take out that pedestal??
Is that so I can raise the motor up? If I take the pedestal out and get them bolted in...isn't it going to still be banging up against the k member when I put it back in?
Old 03-13-2011, 09:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

I read this in the sticky
If you’re on a budget and want LT's then Pacesetters should be at the top of your list. Mid production cycle Pacesetter improved on some of the fitment issues people were having with the k-member and banging.
Do you think I should just send both sets back and try the Pacesetters?
Old 03-13-2011, 11:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

So I'm done grinding and and ordered the pacestter off road

Maybe the difference in design will clear that K member.

I'm sending back both sets of Hookers...and praying.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

So I was looking at this pic in another thread of Kooks headers on a T/A. The Passenger side header is directly to the left of the K member...yet my Hookers the tubes are right on top of the K member...I just don't get it.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:03 AM
Launching!

I feel bad that you are having this much trouble. I grinded a 1/8th tab off my k member on the drivers side only and it was good to go. The passengers side went in and had tons of room. From reading that your car has been in an accident I think that might have something to do with it.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Scoobysnacks
From reading that your car has been in an accident I think that might have something to do with it.
Like both K members moving inward? I talked to TSP earlier who sell a lot of Pacesetters...they said it's most likely the design of the Hookers...we'll see.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Scoobysnacks
The passengers side went in and had tons of room.
That's the question I don't get..why have others used Hookers with little or no problems? I have new motor mounts so I don't think it's them. Maybe the combination of the car being in an accident and the Hookers...I just don't know.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

Honestly you cant compare kooks to hooker.. you cant compare pace setter to hooker etc etc.. They all have there pipes routed slightly different..
Old 03-15-2011, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I could use a vacation in Florida if you want to pay for my plane ticket round trip I will install them for you . I installed my edelbrocks with stock mounts and had to use a 9" angle grinder on the drivers side k member for about an hour and a half but I got them to fit. I just pulled them out to get a smog and will be putting mine in again for round 2. Call up UMI and have them send you a tubular k member if you are having that much trouble. I think they are in Florida so you could get one fast probably.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Black98T/A
That's the question I don't get..why have others used Hookers with little or no problems? I have new motor mounts so I don't think it's them. Maybe the combination of the car being in an accident and the Hookers...I just don't know.
Maybe Summit got a bad batch? Its hard to say...I am sorry that you are going through this. I bought them because I never heard anyone complain about fitment and the price for stainless was right for my budget.
I give you credit for your patience though.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

where are you in central fl? I'm in the ucf area if you need a hand one day installing them or whatever shoot me a pm.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TurbopigB4C
had to use a 9" angle grinder on the drivers side k member for about an hour and a half
I used a grinder and dremel a lot longer than that. I would spend at least 20 mins grinding a spot away it was hitting...jack the car all the way up...slide the header up from the bottom and have my dad start the bolts on top all for it to be hitting in another spot as the header moved closer. I must have done that cycle at least 10 times!
Old 03-15-2011, 09:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by redbird555
where are you in central fl? I'm in the ucf area if you need a hand one day installing them or whatever shoot me a pm.
If the Pacesetters don't fit..I just might do that...thanks.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you using one of the big 9" electric grinders? It should be pretty hard to even hold it because of all the torque and takes off a lot of material pretty fast. There are many different kinds of grinders and any of smaller grinders really would take forever. A dremel is pointless and is a fabrication tool for wood and light sheetmetal. It also matters on where you take off you need to just keep trying. If you can hold the grinder with one hand and control it the power is not enough. With one of the big 9" construction grinders it took me an hour and a half. Fabrication takes time even if it is just grinding and is boring.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From your pics it looks like you have barely touched your crossmember to affect it. You might be feeling like you have done so much and spent so much time but you can always do more just relax and keep trying without getting frustrated which ruins work quality. I have been working on my patio trying to get up the old carpet and using my grinder to get rid of all the glue they used. I have about 20 hours in grinding and still have probably 20 more.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
dont blame the car..........blame the hookers
I wish I'd taken your advice and gotten the Pacesetters instaed of the second set of Hookers. I would have had my car a week ago and it would have saved me hours of work!

Hookers-right on top of the K member unable to install even after hours of grinding

Pacesetters-clear it with space and would have with no modification.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Plus the flanges of the Pacesetters are flush(bottom) while the Hookers(top) aren't and don't hug the head.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

I spoke too soon...where as the passenger side header went right up...the drivers side is hitting the tab on the engine unlike the hookers!

Quick Reply: Hooker longtubes on LS6 Crate Engine HELP!!!