Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X pipe design?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default X pipe design?

I think there is a difference to having an X pipe look like true X or the ones that have two 90 degrees cut and welded together. It seems to me, that if the pipes are not lined up, the flow would bounce off the adjacent wall. The only thing, at best, this is doing is equalizing pressure, like an H pipe. But introducing turbulence as well. So why do some places make them this way? What do you guys think?
Old 02-16-2004, 03:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've wondered which setup is actually the best for making hp. Lets look at some of the most common designs.

True X

Siamese X

Hybrid of both by Magnaflow

I use to think the actual X setup was the best till I read a little research on the Magnaflow hybrid type X. The straight X has a tendency to cause some restriction and less scavenging since the exhaust gas doesn't just travel straight across the junction. The scavanging takes place as it goes by the adjacent tube so you kind of want that area rounded so the exhaust can go down either side I believe. the "two 90's cut and welded together" seems better than the straight x, but the hybrid seems to be the best. Too bad Maganaflow only makes it in 2.5" sizes from what I've seen.

Maybe someone with a firm background in fluid dynamics can clear this up since the exhaust gases flow in pulses or waves. It's not as easy as looking at which one "looks" the best since there's scavanging involved.

Last edited by FAST LS1; 02-16-2004 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

LOL, FAST, you read my mind. I was just about to buy the X at the top.

I thought the true X would be the best too. I thought it would allow for travel directly across the junction, criss crossing, to aid in pulling the next opposite pulse out. But maybe like you were saying, the true X does not allow for scaveging because it goes across the junction so well and doesn't create the vaccuum on the otherside. Where did you find the hybrid informaqtion? Thanks. Anyone else want to jump in?

Last edited by BLASTER; 02-16-2004 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I saw some of the info here
http://www.magnaflow.com/05news/maga...mustangpg2.htm
I read another article also but can't find it.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is the magnaflow above also known as the magnaflow Tru-X because I have seen it offered in a 3". I can't tell from the pictures

Last edited by BLASTER; 02-17-2004 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLASTER
Is the magnaflow above also known as the magnaflow Tru-X because I have seen it offered in a 3". I can't tell from the pictures
I don't know but if you've found a 3" inlet and outlet x by maganaflow I'd sure like a link I'd like to use their design but the biggest I've seen on their site is 2.5" inlet and 3" outlet.

No one else must know anything about the varios X pipe designs.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:23 PM
TECH Regular

I would think the performance difference in the the hybrid and the true X would be minimal (1 or 2 hp) and the magnaflow hybrid will be more expensive. You can pick up a 3" true X for about $35 and the magnaflows are $80+.Either way your gonna love your true duals.....
Old 02-19-2004, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fast:
OK, good news

The link to purchase the Magnaflow is at the Husker exhaust site (same place where you found the very top picture)

http://www.exhaustproslinc.com/mastxpi.html

Item number 10792 - 3x3 . I know what you are thinking...that this must be just the regualar X (me too ) until.....

I found your pic of the "hybrd" in a popular carcraft acticle. Although, I didn't see it being refered to as a "hybrid" design, it is the one you illustrated above. Underneath the third picture in the blurb you will find its part number (# 10789) in the article.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/69238/

So I concluded that 10789 (your hybrid) and 10792 (available on the husker site) must be the same design, none the less. Whatever it is called, I agree that it looks like the best design and is the one I want.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:24 AM
TECH Regular

Default Stainless Works

I have the Stainless works 3 in center section on a c5 and it is a beautiful piece.
large connection between the pipes should flow great .
Haven't done any tests but Stainless works makes great High quality stuff
Old 02-20-2004, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont doubt the stainless work bends tubing and ect. are quality but $ 209.00 X pipe made out two 90 degrees and four 45 degrees is a bit much. You'd have to be really precise to achieve a good design by putting to elbows together. I don't know about that.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:21 PM
Banned

Default x-pipe tech article

Towards the bottom is a good explaination of the gains, also dyno numbers back to back on a C5:
http://www.magnaflow.com/05news/magazine/vette.htm

I would imagine anything that takes the area of 2 2.5" pipes and reduces to to a smaller volume would be a restriction at some level. I believe siamese is the way to go, but who knows.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Carvinta, thats my initial imprssion. I dont like that there is a single point of restriction (effectively a 2.5x3.5" oval assuming 2.5" pipes) in the true X design. I think that the siamesed 90º bends would have a larger area, and thus, less restriction. One could argue that this means nothing on a 3" duals system, however Im under the impression that scavenging is not as efficient on a 3" x pipe for a lightly modded 346ci. The larger cross section slows exhaust velocity and the larger volume lessens the pressure drop between pulses.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:31 PM
Banned

I agree, the larger cfm capacity will lower the pressure between pulses. For a stock cube motor that might be too much. Maybe if there was a case for a high revving 346 (ie, on open track/street car), we may be able to benefit from 3" dual. Regardless of the pulses I agree a siamese keeps the potential up there.

Quick Reply: X pipe design?