Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**STICKY WORTHY** GMMG Exhaust.. How To Eliminate Rasp * Lots of Vids and Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some people just think they know it all. If you want all the exhaust to go out in one location there cant be any holes before the final path of exhaust exit, like in the case of a cutout. If you want that I am sorry but a cutout isn't for you, you need a dumped exhaust. Anyway great thread torchd02.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1 1990 VN
CRACK PIPE & WOW DUDE!

Don't know about YOU Dick wad,

But i'm damn sure if i fitted a cutout to my exhaust for racing, i am damn sure i would want ALL my EXHAUST going out the cutout!
NOT just some of it as it passes by and finds a little less resistance in a pipe off to the side.
Dude for your sake, I really hope your trolling?? BC you're really making your self look like an idiot...

Tell me how my cut out is in the wrong place??? Then I guess everyone peroson on the web board that has a cut out, and places it by the rear back is in the wrong location too???

Dude seriosuly, go ruin someone elses thread and leave mine alone
Old 05-05-2011, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just giving this a friendly bump
Old 05-09-2011, 02:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

I see some GMMG threads rising again So I will bump this back up
Old 05-09-2011, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

That guy was just trying to start ****, over the Internet :o so tough lol but TorchD how do you think arh 1 3/4 Longtubes with there catted Y a power stick and gmmg would sound?
Old 05-15-2011, 12:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by t/a98
Oh then all three of mine are against the grain. That's how classic chambered recommends it. Do people really install them "with the grain" seems like a waste of money. Just go ahead and get straight pipes haha
I always mark each muffler with a sticker showing the INLET (against the Grain). They sound good either way - louder going with the grain, plus the exhaust does not get into the outer cavity as easily as going against the grain. I think they sound better going against the grain.

-Eric
Classic Chambered
Old 05-15-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Torchd 02 TA, just to be sure on this. The tailpipes on the GMMG that connect with the tips, are they 2.5"?

Ill be putting this into a CME system, so im thinking of getting some 90% bends off ebay and some band clamps to connect all that together with the tips but just wanna be sure im getting the right size pipes.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ls1 1990 VN
CRACK PIPE & WOW DUDE!

Don't know about YOU Dick wad,

But i'm damn sure if i fitted a cutout to my exhaust for racing, i am damn sure i would want ALL my EXHAUST going out the cutout!
NOT just some of it as it passes by and finds a little less resistance in a pipe off to the side.
what a dumbass, someone this guy
Old 05-16-2011, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

Great Thread. Back when I had my LT1 I had an LM1 and replaced the LM1 resonator with a classic chambered stick and made it sound so much better. I cant remember how much money I poured into the exhaust. I must have changed my exhaust setup about 5 times swapping mufflers, dumping it until finally I stuck with a LM1 catback with a chambered stick in the I-Pipe also known as a "chambermouth".

Now I have a 99 SS and just put stainless lt's with resonators in place of cats and I'm running a GMMG. I get a bit of rasp but not enough to make me want to mess with my exhaust. But now that I found this thread I think ill be ordering a power stick from classic chambered exhaust for my I-pipe. Should give me a better tone throughout all rpm's and it would be nice if it got rid of virtually all rasp.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Badguy7
Torchd 02 TA, just to be sure on this. The tailpipes on the GMMG that connect with the tips, are they 2.5"?

Ill be putting this into a CME system, so im thinking of getting some 90% bends off ebay and some band clamps to connect all that together with the tips but just wanna be sure im getting the right size pipes.
To be honest I cannot be 100% certain if they are 2.5" or 2.75"

But if I had to guess.. I'm going with 2.5"
Old 05-16-2011, 08:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Powerstick
I always mark each muffler with a sticker showing the INLET (against the Grain). They sound good either way - louder going with the grain, plus the exhaust does not get into the outer cavity as easily as going against the grain. I think they sound better going against the grain.

-Eric
Classic Chambered
Thats good to know Eric.. And even if there wasn't a sticker it's pretty obvious to see whats goign with the grain and against the grain!

Glad I bought this from you in 2008!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PwrHngryLT1
Great Thread. Back when I had my LT1 I had an LM1 and replaced the LM1 resonator with a classic chambered stick and made it sound so much better. I cant remember how much money I poured into the exhaust. I must have changed my exhaust setup about 5 times swapping mufflers, dumping it until finally I stuck with a LM1 catback with a chambered stick in the I-Pipe also known as a "chambermouth".

Now I have a 99 SS and just put stainless lt's with resonators in place of cats and I'm running a GMMG. I get a bit of rasp but not enough to make me want to mess with my exhaust. But now that I found this thread I think ill be ordering a power stick from classic chambered exhaust for my I-pipe. Should give me a better tone throughout all rpm's and it would be nice if it got rid of virtually all rasp.
Definitely order the Powerstick.. Listen to all my vids you will hear the rasp before I had my powerstick.. Installing that killed 98% of my rasp.. Now my GMMG sounds absolutely perfect!!!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the reply Torchd, i might just wait and order the 90% bends & clamps after i order the exhaust system.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

I was one of the first few to post on this sticky because I was in the market for Headers, Y-pipe, cutout and was curious how it would sound. This sticky is very 411 heavy and very helpful. I just saw a guy on the 4 sale thread selling a 3" power stick, which will fit perfectly in my Magnaflow I-pipe that connects to a GMMG right at the over-the-axle pipe, and I jumped on it within 2 minutes. Now I gotta get TSP headers, catted Y and get a re-tune from Frost.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SH1ZN1T
I was one of the first few to post on this sticky because I was in the market for Headers, Y-pipe, cutout and was curious how it would sound. This sticky is very 411 heavy and very helpful. I just saw a guy on the 4 sale thread selling a 3" power stick, which will fit perfectly in my Magnaflow I-pipe that connects to a GMMG right at the over-the-axle pipe, and I jumped on it within 2 minutes. Now I gotta get TSP headers, catted Y and get a re-tune from Frost.
Very nice!

Glad I could help man!
Old 06-10-2011, 04:50 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I hate to say it, but I still get rasp between 2400-2800. It's not bad, but it's still there. I find that picking the right throttle position dramatically reduces the rasp going through that rpm range more than any exhaust setup.

Maybe it's the SLP Powerflo exhaust, who knows. Just giving my follow. Before anyone questions me, yes, I did install it correctly.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Going Back Up.. All PMs have been replied to when I get them..

Thanks guys!!!
Old 07-22-2011, 12:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Any updates with this? I want to see video's of these installed and driving, not idle/rev videos.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:31 PM
Launching!

When I installed my LT's and ORY earlier this spring I had a power stick installed about a week later. Its still pretty raspy tho. Like a truck with no mufflers. Wondering if my guy accidently put it the "wrong" way when we welded it up. I showed and told him why to put it against the grain, but who knows. Thinking about picking up a set of high flow cats to help with the smell and the volume. Any recomendations? At WOT tho it sounds awesome. Just a bit to loud at times for normal driving.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a Powerstick in my intermediate pipe of my GMMG setup with long tubes. I still ended up putting a couple Magnaflow bullet cats (59959) in the Y pipe and it sounds much better.

Quick Reply: **STICKY WORTHY** GMMG Exhaust.. How To Eliminate Rasp * Lots of Vids and Pics*