Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoking exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 350 Likes on 263 Posts

Default Smoking exhaust

I have whitish grey smoke coming from my exhaust, And I am trying to determine my cause

I don't drive it much and it's a new motor with 500 miles on it and I put it in 3 years ago. Oil was changed 2 months ago and was not milky.

I just changed exhausts traded with a guy from here and hauled it in the back of my truck on a rainy day but that was a month ago.

I started it up today and was getting it ready for a Car show tomorrow and it was smoking pretty badly. Corse after driving it around for a while the exhaust fell off on me, which made the smoke worse.

Am I cooking off crap in my exhaust or do I have a problem?
Old 04-29-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I know when I had white smoke billowing from my car was when I had a blown head gasket . But with only 500 miles that would really, really suprise me if you had a blown head gasket. And from my experience, cooking crap off of your exhaust doesn't last longer than just a few minutes after the car is running at its normal temps, and isn't usually very thick. Maybe I'm wrong though?
Old 04-29-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It is thin or thick smoke?
Old 04-29-2011, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like you're burning coolant. Headgasket...is the car sputtering at all? Maybe time for a compression check.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Veteran

hard to tell if its sputtering it has a very healthy cam,

dont have the tools for a compression check maybe tiime to call some friends

and its pretty thin except for when the exhuast fell off
Old 04-30-2011, 12:59 AM
TECH Resident

You've only put 500 miles on the engine in three years? How much did you drive it before you put the exhaust on, and how many miles have you put with the exhaust on? I would guess it has nothing to do with the exhaust if it's that bad. Was it fully warmed up and still smoking?
Old 04-30-2011, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

If the smoke is very thin like you said, then it's probably jus the exhaust burning off the oils and crap. How is it driving, like it should or very hesitant and like it wants to die?
Old 04-30-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Veteran

its been all over the place getting work done it spent 6 months in clarksville before christmas (interior). than no bumper for 2 months couldnt drive it then i switched exhuasts, and somewhere in all of that it foiled plugs) 60lbs injectors) and it runs fat.

checked the radiator and no oil from what i could see (althigh a leakdown tesk would confirm this)

the new to me exhuast has only been driven once (this incident).

i dont have a catch can just two breathers on the valve covers could this be my problem?

doenst act like it wants to die but if i rev it up sometimes it kinda stumbles (but thats before it actually warms up havent tried it after it hits operating temps)
Old 05-10-2011, 01:44 PM
TECH Veteran

well i narrowed it down and it was not a head gasket problem (thankfully) my tune was set up as 42lbs injectors that were running extremely rich (i have fouled 3 sets of plugs which i forgot to mention which is totally my fault for not supplying enough information) problem is i am running 60lbs injectors. so needless to say i got a guy to help me get the tables right and found out that i also have a bad O2 sensor (which i am sure was not helping me out any)

so ... i am all in the good for now so i can go back to enjoying the car and not worrying about it so much

thank you guys for all of your help