Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant temp sensor popped out of radiator

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation Coolant temp sensor popped out of radiator

Hi, I have an odd problem with my 1999 Firehawk; I was driving the other day and notice all this white smoke/steam billowing out the back of my car so I immediately pull over while my car is puking out the contents of the radiator all over this parking lot....the damn coolant sensor completely "popped out" of the hole in the radiator! I let it cool down a minute and stuck it back in with a twist....filled it back up with water and it was holding fine....drove it 4 more days with no issues/leaks nothing. Then the same damn thing happens again; is there a known problem with the coolant temperature sensor hole in the plastic radiator tank getting stripped? For the time being I tried a ghetto JB weld repair to permanently "weld" the sensor to my radiator....so far so good. Has anybody else with a LS1 car had this issue? I'm wondering how well my JB weld will hold up; if this **** happens again though got to get a new radiator because I'm not going to blow my motor because of some stupid sensor popping out of the plastic radiator tank.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Hi, I have an odd problem with my 1999 Firehawk; I was driving the other day and notice all this white smoke/steam billowing out the back of my car so I immediately pull over while my car is puking out the contents of the radiator all over this parking lot....the damn coolant sensor completely "popped out" of the hole in the radiator! I let it cool down a minute and stuck it back in with a twist....filled it back up with water and it was holding fine....drove it 4 more days with no issues/leaks nothing. Then the same damn thing happens again; is there a known problem with the coolant temperature sensor hole in the plastic radiator tank getting stripped? For the time being I tried a ghetto JB weld repair to permanently "weld" the sensor to my radiator....so far so good. Has anybody else with a LS1 car had this issue? I'm wondering how well my JB weld will hold up; if this **** happens again though got to get a new radiator because I'm not going to blow my motor because of some stupid sensor popping out of the plastic radiator tank.
Screw in temperature sensor?

Never seen one but anyway sounds like the plastic has expanded or the threads on the radiator or sensor are semi stripped.

I would get a new radiator and sensor before you need a new motor.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never heard of the problem. Sounds like you need a new radiator or have a new plastic tank installed.

BTW - The Engine Coolant Temp sensor is located on the front part of the driver side cylinder head. If you're referring to the sensor located right under the radiator cap opening, that's the low coolant sensor.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Low coolant sensor as sstated.. Do you have the little metal clip that holds it on?
Old 05-02-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ahritchie
if this **** happens again though got to get a new radiator because I'm not going to blow my motor because of some stupid sensor popping out of the plastic radiator tank.
2-part epoxy would work very well if you get both the sensor and the rad surface completely dry and free of any oils before applying it.

You'll never get the sensor out, but they don't seem prone to failure.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats happened to me once and has never happened again. I thought it was odd too.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Oh and low coolant sensors snap in, not screw in so
Old 07-20-2020, 07:41 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just installed an 3 row aluminum radiator that I got off ebay. Had to make a few adjustments to get everything to fit snug but its in the engine bay, and temps are lower then ever which was the goal. I was able to secure all hoses but as I was driving this weekend the Coolant sensor popped out on the highway and sprayed hot antifreeze everywhere. I was able to pull over as I saw the temps rising and noticed that the sensor popped out. I popped it back in and topped off some antifreeze and got to where I needed to go. I secured the sensor back in and used some duct tape I had to hold it back in temporarily. Its working fine for now but I feel that it wont be secure enough if I am really pushing the car and I will have a repeat issue. I think I might try the teflon / epoxy route mentioned above. Just need to find an epoxy that will be able to withhold extreme heat. How did that work out for you guys? Not too worried about changing the sensor out any time soon but I want to ensure I don't overheat.

Quick Reply: Coolant temp sensor popped out of radiator