Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My exhaust review - 6 Different setups

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My exhaust review - 6 Different setups

I will try and keep this short and sweet and to the point. I have owned two LS1 Fbodies with a bunch of different exhausts between them..both have regular bolt on mods.

98 TA

Stock - This goes without saying, very deep, too quiet, no rasp.

Stock manis/cats and LM2 - Very deep, moderate volume, great WOT sound

LTs/Hi-Flow cat Y pipe and lm2 - A bit more 'tin' sound, what I would consider loud for around town, great tone (my favorite sounding exhaust!)

02 Z28

Stock - See above, deep, quiet, no rasp, a bit louder than my 98 was

Stock manis/cats w/3" dynomax bullet system - This is cut off right after the over axle piece, I would say about as loud as LTs/HiFlowcats at idle, not as loud WOT. Very deep sound, definetly best exhaust for stock manis/cats

Stock manis/cats w/ 3" hooker system and the MaxFlow muffler - I would say as quiet as stock at idle and WOT, best flowing muff, but just TOO quiet!!

LT/ORY/dumped 3" bullet over rear axle - I have always wanted to try this setup, I figure I like a little rasp and would ignore the warnings on here....WRONG, this is just too loud and sounds like a Harley. To quote someone on here, the best words to capture this is 'Hammered Dog ****'. Definetly the loudest of the setups and worst tone

LT/ORY/3" hooker system with MaxFlow muffler - This setup is quiet at idle, I would say between the LM2 with stock parts and stock, sound cruising is quieter than stock but VERY deep, WOT the setup is dissapointing, still quiet and very deep. The exhaust really lacks some Character.

What I have learned:

Buy some nice LTs and a catted Y pipe that tucks up nice and high, my ORY now tucks up so nice, as good as stock, but the sound is just lacking. My dream exhaust would be LTs/Catted Y/Dynomax bullet over the axle with a 3.5" or 4" setup.

My next setup may be to keep the LTs/ORY/Dynomax bullet and add a single flow 10 (3" in/out) and hope to kill some rasp and just add some character. One thing I do want to add about the ORY...people complain about the smell, there is no smell other than startup and mine dumped right over the axle, do not let that hold you back.

BUY A CATTED Y AND BULLET MUFFLER - best setup out there.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

the SLP stainless CB i had on my 89 IROC was sweeeeet..........the borla i have on my 2000 bird.............not so much
Old 06-18-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just a borla bullet? Or the catback? Never heard anyone dislike that setup...
Old 06-19-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

here is the best video of an ORY setup with the dynomax bullet (I know he is a member here who had a nice TD setup, this, and now has an awesome mufflex setup, hope you dont mind me using the video);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWhcvmu0LVY
Old 06-19-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
Just a borla bullet? Or the catback? Never heard anyone dislike that setup...
its the whole CB setup....with the plates......came with the car when i bought it
Old 06-19-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Regular

LT 's ory single 4' magnflow cat dynomax bullet I bet that would sound better or throw a borla xr-1 instead of the dynomax
Old 06-19-2011, 11:02 PM
Launching!

here is the best video of an ORY setup with the dynomax bullet (I know he is a member here who had a nice TD setup, this, and now has an awesome mufflex setup, hope you dont mind me using the video);
Holy **** that rasps like crazy. I personally have, and love BBK LT's/ORY with my hooker catback. Quiet around town, loud when you get on it, and 0 rasp.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AwsmGy
Holy **** that rasps like crazy. I personally have, and love BBK LT's/ORY with my hooker catback. Quiet around town, loud when you get on it, and 0 rasp.
Yeah sounds like my ARH with Catted Y / Gibson Catback setup.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AwsmGy
Yup, I have tried to tell em.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

LT/ORY/Hooker convert here....wish the damn thing was louder! haha, tone is nice and mellow.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LT/ORY/Hooker convert here....wish the damn thing was louder! haha, tone is nice and mellow.
Im guessing the hooker max flow is different than the aerochamber? Got any pics or links if different?
Old 06-20-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

The MaxFlow is straight through....supposed to be a bit quietier at idle and cruise, then much louder at WOT. I swear I am stock quiet all around, but did not lose an ounce of power. Some people love that stuff, not me, I love loud. I may sell the maxflow and pickup a Flow 10, those sound incredible....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqjz_...eature=related
Old 06-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Launching!

This is the sound I was going for. Not sure who's car this is, but mine sounds pretty damn close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAGNH1VGLrk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVwyo...4859C89B26CEFB

I believe this is the same car.

Quick Reply: My exhaust review - 6 Different setups