Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My True Dual Exhaust 3" over the axle

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Well posted yesterdays pics on www.fquick.com/omc8. The exhaust is done the job is complete looks good and sounds good . I have not driven it yet. Have drain some old gas out of it , have install the hood tomorrow before I drive it .That will be the the final step to check everything out . Before I take it to be tuned. I will post pics of the completed job tomorrow.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Exhaust is done !

Well the exhaust is done. Finished installing the hood , that took some time. Test drove the car no problems ,its a new engine build no miles on it.The TDs sound great , nice tone .Everything sounded good, the engine, the exhaust no rattles no banging. Everything is high and tight and the pic of the completed job are now posted up.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pics are posted up, the job is done.Taking it to get tuned Tuesday if not raining.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have a sound clip? i had mine done 3 weeks ago with flowmaster 2 chambers and it sounds great, its raspy untill 1/2 throttle and then it really comes alive.

go to http://www.tinypic.com and upload a pic, set the size for "message board" and then get the [IMG] code, copy and paste it here.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by omc8
Thanks Brad,
I started this thread just to show my version of 3" TDs in progress its not done yet ,so hold your negative comments til its done. Its not going to be best out there ,its not mandrel,its not stainless and some of the welds could be prettier.But it is the design that I want and so far I'm pleased with the progress.I'm not pleased with the pics so far, the link does not work from our forum for some reason.You have to type the URL in to go their www.fquick.com/omc8
What's the point then? Just to say you have "duals". I dont understand this.... Negative comments are inevitable given what's been shown for those that have been down the road before you...

Maybe I'm getting old or its experience, but doin **** twice.....well, sucks. Why half *** it, if you can do it right the first time?

Sorry, I'm not one of those "I applaud the effort...." people , so seriously....why not go all the way to do it right?
Old 09-19-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Junkie

It's fckin exhaust who cares how pretty it looks. It's made to bring gas and noise out of the motor that's it. Custom duals sound great that's what matters
Old 09-19-2011, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99 WS-sick
you have a sound clip? i had mine done 3 weeks ago with flowmaster 2 chambers and it sounds great, its raspy untill 1/2 throttle and then it really comes alive.

go to http://www.tinypic.com and upload a pic, set the size for "message board" and then get the [IMG] code, copy and paste it here.
Thanks 99 WS , I was working on resizing the pics last night. I think I have them small enough to post now, if not I will try your link. Will clips in quicktime format post up on the forum?
Old 09-19-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

id be ashamed to have that exhaust on my car
Old 09-19-2011, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

You guys are being too hard on him. Do you realize how hard it is even to get someone to do a dual exhaust over the axle around the Columbus, OH area? I can attest to this because I live in the area and have traveled to 4 different exhaust shops, only one of which would do TDs over the axle, which is the shop that omc8 is getting his done at. The other three shops all looked at me like I didn't know what I was talking about. I have been talking with omc8 about his build and he is really excited to get it running as it has been a work in progress for a while now. He's put a lot of time, effort and money into this. If he likes his exhaust and it sounds good, who cares how it looks? No one's going to see it anyway! Personally, I think it's rude to come in here and make a comment on how someone's exhaust looks after it's all done and paid for. Nowhere in this thread did he ask for your opinion, he was simply posting the results of what has been a long time coming on a project.

Scott
Old 09-19-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macs98Z
You guys are being too hard on him. Do you realize how hard it is even to get someone to do a dual exhaust over the axle around the Columbus, OH area? I can attest to this because I live in the area and have traveled to 4 different exhaust shops, only one of which would do TDs over the axle, which is the shop that omc8 is getting his done at. The other three shops all looked at me like I didn't know what I was talking about. I have been talking with omc8 about his build and he is really excited to get it running as it has been a work in progress for a while now. He's put a lot of time, effort and money into this. If he likes his exhaust and it sounds good, who cares how it looks? No one's going to see it anyway! Personally, I think it's rude to come in here and make a comment on how someone's exhaust looks after it's all done and paid for. Nowhere in this thread did he ask for your opinion, he was simply posting the results of what has been a long time coming on a project.

Scott
Oh, excuse me, I thought this was the internet. My bad.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It isn't easy, but that's because it is a job that requires custom fabrication - not just an "exhaust" guy. When I wanted the duals done on my car, I drove from Ft. Walton Beach all the way to Chicago to have the exhaust fabricated for my car. It took them 3 or 4 days, and cost me a lot of money, not to mention a lot of time and stress. When all was said and done, it was done with mandrel bends, all tig welded, but they used aluminized pipe...if I had the money at the time, I would have requested stainless, but that probably would have led to longer lead times and obviously more expense. I'll probably end up having mine redone in the next couple of years, but this time it will have a few other features including oval tubing on the driver's side, v-band clamps, and I can guaran-damn-tee you it'll be stainless this time. It'll also clear my watts link.

The job in question here isn't great with all the crush bends and such, but it isn't bad either. Those of us that don't have the fabrication skills or the time have to pay for the one-off custom **** that the internet has come to demand, and most don't want to pay the price of admission for something really high quality, so you end up making compromises. That's just the way it is, especially with these cars and true dual exhaust.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 216 Likes on 165 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by omc8
Thanks Brad,
Yea its mostly dirt and the axel is rusted , but i don't care next year that will be replaced with a 9" when we do the trans.I will get around to cleaning up the under side for you concourse detail fanatics. I started this thread just to show my version of 3" TDs in progress its not done yet ,so hold your negative comments til its done. Its not going to be best out there ,its not mandrel,its not stainless and some of the welds could be prettier.But it is the design that I want and so far I'm pleased with the progress.I'm not pleased with the pics so far, the link does not work from our forum for some reason.You have to type the URL in to go their www.fquick.com/omc8
You can post links directly from Fquick, but it's not intuitive, parsing out the image from the URL in either the "Embed this Photo", or the "Message Forum Code:", section will work.

This is from the "Message Forum Code:" section of one of your pics on Fquick.

I cut and pasted just that section below

Old 09-19-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think it looks that bad. Id run it that's for sure.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

too each there own. Doesnt look bad, Ive seen worse. Not everyone can fork out big bucks for Kooks true duals or even stainless exhaust.

OMC8 do what you do. Better than being stock
Old 09-21-2011, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by Guitar
Oh, excuse me, I thought this was the internet. My bad.
LOL @ the anonymous internet tough guy.

For what the OP has into this I am sure it'll work just fine.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:09 PM
Banned

Thats not mandrel bent is it? The top pic of the pipe.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LPE 403
What's the point then? Just to say you have "duals". I dont understand this.... Negative comments are inevitable given what's been shown for those that have been down the road before you...

Maybe I'm getting old or its experience, but doin **** twice.....well, sucks. Why half *** it, if you can do it right the first time?

Sorry, I'm not one of those "I applaud the effort...." people , so seriously....why not go all the way to do it right?
Well for those that are getting old,the point is 1. Simply show my version of TDs. 2. Show the progress of the complete system beginning to end. 3. Show a different design than most I have seen posted on the forum.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02ws.sik
Thats not mandrel bent is it? The top pic of the pipe.
No its not mandrel,there are not any shops in my area that have a mandrel pipe bender ,that I know of.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LPE 403

I agree with all this, I mean how much money did the shop charge the OP for that job? I'd guess atleast $400-$500, **** maybe more than that. I was looking into a shop to do my true duals, and after realizing only a few shops within 300 miles had a mandrel bender, and they wanted alot of $$$$$$, I just picked up the kooks true duals from a sponser on here for $1200. I mean $1200 for 304 stainless mandrel bent true duals is hard to beat, sometimes you just have to save your money alittle bit longer and do it right..... so how much did they charge you for that job OMC8?
Old 09-26-2011, 03:45 PM
Banned

If it over 300 its too much i could have did what ever that is?!?!?!

Quick Reply: My True Dual Exhaust 3" over the axle