Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My True Dual Exhaust 3" over the axle

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
you guys talking about rust etc,sorry to say but just sound like morons, I'm sure everyones rides went to show quality over night right?,stop busting his nuts, a cheap paint gun,a day of prep ,and some rustol, paint will have it looking brand new, i swear dont you guys see things for what they can be, as far as the rearend beeing rusty ummm,,,,, they all do that ,there rust prone,a lil por will make it look brand new, op ill give ya props exhaust looks killer,dont listen to these guys busting on you ,very few of us started with a flawless mint car.
Thanks BOB , thats right me too.I guess Ive always been able to see through the dirt. The car has 75k on it and is in its virgin cloths .The first page of this post was nothing but guys ranking on the dirt and rust on the rearend.Now that I wiped down the underside nothing else has been said.The thread was about exhaust, not about detailing a car, or do you think my car has rust.Now there seems to 2 camps, one that the only right or worthwhile system is mandrel stainless like Kooks.And the other that like or approve of my version of TDs.When I started this thread I thought we would be talking about exhaust not dirt or rust.I thought we might be talking about design , or flow of different systems ,the placement of X pipe.But no its just been bitching about its not clean ,rust, its not mandrel or ss.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:39 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I grew up in the country most of my life,dirt roads lot's of mud, when it rained I hate it. Cars are gonna get muddy,dirty and rusty that's the way it is nothing last forever,a girl told me once "Is not cage is the bird" LOL...To me duals are duals it may look pretty,but they'll do the job. I'm happy for you OMC8 keep up the spirit and keep modding your car.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Oh my god your weak *** 10 bolts has rust!!! Oh NO!! LOLL dont invest one single second of your time on that piece of ****, it can blow anytime and youll get a deal on another cheap 10bolts that is full of rust too. And who the hell cares about a 10bolts that no one will ever see except if you jack the car, take pics and post em on LS1tech! The rest of the floor/frame has no rust thats the important thing.

Props to you for having something different. as long as youre happy with the sound/performance/PRICE, thats fine.

For me, I would prefer to buy the whole thing from TSP, Kooks, etc than having the trouble of having the thing fabricated..
Old 09-28-2011, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
Oh my god your weak *** 10 bolts has rust!!! Oh NO!! LOLL dont invest one single second of your time on that piece of ****, it can blow anytime and youll get a deal on another cheap 10bolts that is full of rust too. And who the hell cares about a 10bolts that no one will ever see except if you jack the car, take pics and post em on LS1tech! The rest of the floor/frame has no rust thats the important thing.

Props to you for having something different. as long as you're happy with the sound/performance/PRICE, thats fine.

For me, I would prefer to buy the whole thing from TSP, Kooks, etc than having the trouble of having the thing fabricated..
Your absolutely right ,as I said earlier. next year .I going to replace the drivetrain , we going have trans rebuilt with a stall and replace the rear with probably a 9". So I'm not worried about the 10 bolt its junk .The first time I hook up " Thar she blows". And yes it can be trouble having it fabricated , a lot of guys make it sound easy " I can do better than that". But the same ones that say that are not posting up pics to show if they can or not. If it was that easy every corner exhaust shop would be doing TDs over the axel. The fact is most cant ,do not have the skill and or experience to do this job.Its custom work, not replacing OEM stuff like most shops do.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my guess is since your not telling us what it cost, you must of spent quite a bit amount of money on it.... probably more than you should have..
Old 09-29-2011, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dee99gt
my guess is since your not telling us what it cost, you must of spent quite a bit amount of money on it.... probably more than you should have..
that is my thought also.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02ws.sik
If it over 300 its too much i could have did what ever that is?!?!?!
You could have did what ever that is? Show us some of your exhaust work.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
id be ashamed to have that exhaust on my car
Ashamed ,really, show us what your running. A kit out of a box, Kooks TDs ?If you have a custom system ,show us what your running.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what I have for exhaust is irrelevant to this thread
Old 10-02-2011, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Silverone has one of those ebay blowoff valves in his exhaust so it sounds like he has a turbo spooling and then PSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH when he lets off.

haha, but seriously, who cares what other people have. You like your setup and like I said before, it is probably better than anyones catback setup on here.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
Silverone has one of those ebay blowoff valves in his exhaust so it sounds like he has a turbo spooling and then PSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH when he lets off.

haha, but seriously, who cares what other people have. You like your setup and like I said before, it is probably better than anyones catback setup on here.
TImmy Jones,always enjoy reading your posts ,some may not understand your sense of humor ,but for one I do LMAO.And your right on many counts.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks man. An ls1 car with only 70k miles is damn near brand new. Mind pm-ing me some finished pics of the exhaust? I could give a **** about the price, people want you to post the price so they can whine that it's too high or so low, for bad quality.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Final completed pics

I realize this is is going to fuel the haters out there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The final completed job are posted up on www.fquick.com/omc8 click vehicle pic then go to back to all albums.Check these out !
Attached Thumbnails
Attached Thumbnails My True Dual Exhaust 3" over the axle-tds-3-inch-over-axel-006-resize.jpg   My True Dual Exhaust 3" over the axle-tds-3-inch-over-axel-007-resize.jpg   My True Dual Exhaust 3" over the axle-tds-3-inch-over-axel-008-resize.jpg   My True Dual Exhaust 3" over the axle-tds-3-inch-over-axel-011-resize.jpg   My True Dual Exhaust 3" over the axle-tds-3-inch-over-axel-016-resize.jpg  

Old 10-04-2011, 09:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by omc8
I realize this is is going to fuel the haters out there.
Haha, looks good Gregg. Keep sending the updates and let the haters hate. You like it and it's exactly what you were looking for--that's money well spent! Sent you an email about a possibility for your trans build in the spring. Let me know if you are interested and I can give you more info.

Scott
Old 10-13-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default How much is the crush !

Looks can be deceiving. I was just curious about how much the pipe bender reduces the size of the pipe in the bend process.
So I went over to the exhaust shop and got a section of scrap pipe from the job on my car.I took one of the pieces and cut it in two. The pipe section was a 45* bend very similar to the ones on my exhaust job.
I cut half way at the heel and the throat.To look at the crush of the bend can be deceiving,because when the bender bends the pipe, the die crushes it in the throat area or the short side radius.And the pipe becomes oval thru out the bend.After I cut the pipe ,I measured the ID of the pipe vertically and horizontal in the bend radius.This is what I came up with.

The ID of straight pipe 14 gauge 2.82
the ID of bend vertically 2.54
the ID of bend horizontal 2.90
the average ID bend 2.72

So the total reduction of crush is .10
I was surprised to find it was such a small number .Again this was a 45 bend , it may be more in a 90* or a J or U bend.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Interesting, Gregg. That is not at all in line with what you normally hear on this board about crushed bends. I was expecting there to be a more significant loss of flow with crushed vs. mandrel. I am sure your requirements for the job of no bend greater than 45* helped, too.

Scott
Old 10-14-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Macs98Z
Interesting, Gregg. That is not at all in line with what you normally hear on this board about crushed bends. I was expecting there to be a more significant loss of flow with crushed vs. mandrel. I am sure your requirements for the job of no bend greater than 45* helped, too.

Scott
Today I went back to shop and cut another section , and got virtually the same numbers as before.The shop manager, Joe wanted to know what I was doing and explained I was trying to get a measurement of how much crush is created in the bend. He said that in a 90* bend, the pipe will become even more oval than in a 45 , but the volume of ID will not change that much.He said that my system was made with 14 guage , if they would have used 16 gauge it would have a greater ID and volume.Keep in mind when we talk about pipe diameter we usually speak in terms of OD. He said its a trade off , 16 gauge will not last as long as 14, but will flow more.He said in his opinion ,the very slight gain in volume is not worth the loss in longevity of life of the pipe.Hope this helps any of you out that may want to go this route of a custom system, pick your options , the choice is yours .I'm very happy with design and with want I selected.The only thing bad about kit systems ,is there are no options, they are made for one style header ,and its take it or leave it.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think that looks great. No rubbing anywhere?
Old 10-16-2011, 12:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** those haters. it's funny to read how all those guys think these cars are ******* bugattis and only a mandrel bent, stainless setup costing $250 is the way to go, otherwise it's junk and you (impersonal) paid too much. dumbasses.

i had a crush bent 3" x true dual setup on my a4 car that was dumped at the axle. i got all kinds of flack for having "crush bends"...fact of the matter is, my junkass pacesetter header crush bent **** was dragging their stainless works etc etc etc junk left and right. no one gave a **** what exhaust my car had on it when all they could see was the tail lights.

what mufflers are those? got any sound clips? what is interior noise like? drone? is that setup raspy? sorry if you answered these questions already, i read the thread but could've missed it.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go with what you can afford and like,i say it looks good,do you have a sound clip?

Quick Reply: My True Dual Exhaust 3" over the axle