Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT's installed but still another Y-pipe question. Also butt dyno data from LT's

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT's installed but still another Y-pipe question. Also butt dyno data from LT's

I have a Borla catback and I bought some BBK LT's and their Y-pipe. There is no way that the I-pipe is going to fit over or in the BBK y-pipe. Also the Y-pipe doesn't seem to reach the I-pipe. I mean it just almost touches up to it. Can I get some kind of clamp or wtf do I need to do? There is no problem with getting them lined up if I could use a clamp.

Alright so I bought a band clamp today for $12 and the end of the Y-pipe is so much bigger than the I-pipe that it just leaks on the I-pipe side. I didn't think there was that big of a difference really. This Y-pipe is getting on my nerves.

Last edited by LS1WS6dreamer; 09-19-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Get yourself a 3" band clamp. I also run BBK's and a SLP lm catback and ran into a similar issue. Now with a 3" band clamp in place, they are tight as can be.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by matt224
Get yourself a 3" band clamp. I also run BBK's and a SLP lm catback and ran into a similar issue. Now with a 3" band clamp in place, they are tight as can be.
Alright cool I will pick one up tomorrow. It feels like the OD of the Y-pipe is bigger than the I-pipe so I wasn't sure I could use one.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:46 PM
12 Second Club

Band clamp will work fine!
Old 09-18-2011, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1WS6dreamer
Alright cool I will pick one up tomorrow. It feels like the OD of the Y-pipe is bigger than the I-pipe so I wasn't sure I could use one.
It probably is bigger because the aftermarket catback slip fits into your stock y pipe right?
Old 09-18-2011, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My Borla I-pipe was fitted outside of the factory Y-pipe. I remember as I was beating the factory Y-pipe out I kept looking through those weird little slots cut into the Borla pipe for the edge of the factory Y.

I was tempted to drive it today with just the Y-pipe, but I figured I would just have to jack it up again to finish it. Plus I can't imagine how loud it would be.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

So how was your overall BBK install experience? Did you do motor mounts too? Any issues?
Mine are sitting in my garage scheduled for this coming weekend....
Old 09-19-2011, 06:59 AM
On The Tree

BBK's are easy to install and great quality. Main reason I went BBK's was because of the ease of install claimed by others, and they were right. No removal of the steering shaft, no notching the k member, no cutting off the tab or anything. The Y pipe has a fantastic merge and tucks up nice and tight.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
So how was your overall BBK install experience? Did you do motor mounts too? Any issues?
Mine are sitting in my garage scheduled for this coming weekend....
My overall experience was fantastic. My stuff did come with a few little pings in it and the header flange was bent, but the flange was a 20second crescent wrench fix and the little pings in the Y-pipe ain't gonna make a ****. I think it was a UPS issue not a BBK issue. Now i'm not saying that if I had ordered Pacesetters I would've had a problem, but I had a speed card and put the headers on it for $354 shipped. Here is another thread w/ pics. Scroll to the bottom for the latest update. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...more-pics.html

Originally Posted by matt224
BBK's are easy to install and great quality. Main reason I went BBK's was because of the ease of install claimed by others, and they were right. No removal of the steering shaft, no notching the k member, no cutting off the tab or anything. The Y pipe has a fantastic merge and tucks up nice and tight.
Yeah I have never heard of a BBK LT install being difficult. One of the three reasons I bought them. I am ready to finish up the Y-pipe to I-pipe connection. My Borla catback pipe seems to be the same size as the Y-pipe. I am gonna put a band clamp on and see how that works.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Went for a drive. Here is how I feel.

Power?? Its like the LT's gave my car "sideways on demand". Its a very significant difference. The sound, the feel, everything about it is just awesome. I can't wait to do a cam. Just a freakin natural high. lol

Motor Mounts- I haven't really noticed any more vibration than normal really. The open plated Borla is kinda loud though. So I wouldn't really notice or care. I swear to god that when you mash the gas the whole car feels different. IDK I am sold on LT's and poly motor mounts.

Overall- It was all worth the work and price!
Old 09-20-2011, 12:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thumbs up

put the headers on it for $354 shipped.
You did good, I paid $46 more for my BBK ceramic's shipped thru a hookup from a cool member here on Ls1tech . Odd thing is the vendor I bought them from is no longer listing them on their site, only the shorties... I'm waiting on my new mls gaskets, new gm header bolts and poly mtr mts and I have a 4 day weekend off this weekend. Was thinking about having my Y pipe ceramic coated but I don't want to wait for that so...game on this weekend.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:36 AM
Teching In

Do you have any rasp at all? I have the exact same setup on my Camaro, with no plate in Borla Catback I get a lot of rasp around 2.5-3K RPM.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is RASP?
Old 09-20-2011, 08:26 AM
Launching!

^rasp is that obnoxious sound that some mustangs make, not real deep but not real throaty lol
Old 09-20-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a Borla catback and I bought some BBK LT's and their Y-pipe. There is no way that the I-pipe is going to fit over or in the BBK y-pipe. Also the Y-pipe doesn't seem to reach the I-pipe. I mean it just almost touches up to it. Can I get some kind of clamp or wtf do I need to do? There is no problem with getting them lined up if I could use a clamp.

Alright so I bought a band clamp today for $12 and the end of the Y-pipe is so much bigger than the I-pipe that it just leaks on the I-pipe side. I didn't think there was that big of a difference really. This Y-pipe is getting on my nerves.

Use the band clamp,then take it to your exhaust shop where they can fix it easily with a short section of tubing.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Fixed

Went to the muffler shop and got the leak fixed and got the Y-pipe positioned better. $30 (wish I would've did this in the 1rst place). So much easier on a lift.

I think I am going to start making some adjustment plates for the Borla. The passenger side tip kinda sounds like **** to me. I think the exhaust would sound better with a little more coming out the drivers side and maybe a little less out the passenger side.

Anybody got some templates or pics/measurements??
Old 09-21-2011, 02:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Oreilly's here sells 3" to 3" slip on connectors for a few bucks each.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Oreilly's here sells 3" to 3" slip on connectors for a few bucks each.
Malvern doesn't hardly have anything. I looked at Autozone and O"reillys. Our Advance Auto Parts moved or went out of business. Its a sucky town, but its the closest thing I got. I live in the middle of nowhere.

Quick Reply: LT's installed but still another Y-pipe question. Also butt dyno data from LT's