Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random Misfire after power shift....ODD

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random Misfire after power shift....ODD

Here is the deal, my c5 out of the blue just started misfiring after a powershift. If I powershift 2 to 3 and sometimes 3 to 4. I have datalogged the misfires. They are random, and randomly when it misses it will be one cylinder that misses 40 plus times. then the next time it will be another cylinder. Here are the things that I have done so far...car is a 01 c5 all bolt ons and a tune.

1. plugs
2. wires
3. checked tune
4. pulled valve covers. mechanical components good.
5.checked grounds

I have noticed that it doesnt really pickup any major misfires at idle. it will be like 1 or 2 sometimes 4 misfires at idle on random cylinders. and you can tell its missing a tad at idle.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:04 AM
11 Second Club

anyone?
Old 10-11-2011, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

No one else has ever had this problem? I guess im the oddball...
Old 10-12-2011, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like the same problem i am having. Cuts out a little bit right after power shifting, then clears up right? Not sure what mine is but it started after i put a external fuel pump in and made it a return style system.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:18 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by nmass399
Sounds like the same problem i am having. Cuts out a little bit right after power shifting, then clears up right? Not sure what mine is but it started after i put a external fuel pump in and made it a return style system.
yes. exactly. I have been thinking it might be a fuel issue. Im thinking its being caused by the high rpm pull sucking the fuel almost dry and then on the powershift theres not enough fuel after the shift. Did it appear out of no where and the only thing you done was do the fuel system mod?
Old 10-12-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by green96ta
yes. exactly. I have been thinking it might be a fuel issue. Im thinking its being caused by the high rpm pull sucking the fuel almost dry and then on the powershift theres not enough fuel after the shift. Did it appear out of no where and the only thing you done was do the fuel system mod?
Yeah i put in an aeromotive a1000 return style system with the fuel pump controller and pressure regulator. We tested to see if the fuel pressure was fluctuating any and it wasn't, i think i am about test that again when i get my clutch fixed. I also put in a rollcage and had the dash out so some things were unplugged but i thought i pluged everyting back in. I changed my spark plugs and injectors, also unplugged my lingenfelter launch controller and tried it but none of those were it. I logged my runs recently and it shows a little rich in that area but not too much. Its almost like its pulling spark out of it. My next test is to see if something is not getting enough power to it and is messing up the cycle.

It did not do this before the cage and fuel system. Its amazing tho, i can run it from idle to redline and it wont show any sign of it. Only after the shift.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:36 PM
11 Second Club

Well im changing the fuel filter in a few. So we will see. If its not that im gonna be thinking its the maf. I cant unplug it to test it in sd. I.have a 5 wire maf.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:10 PM
11 Second Club

Changed fuel filter, still missing. This is getting to be super frustrating. one new thing happened, I was test driving it and I missed third and bounced the rev limiter momentarily and the car just shut off...

Im starting to get pissed, and I really dont want to take it to the gm garage, cause 90% if the time I know more than their tech does.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:39 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe bent a bunch of valves......

Broken reluctor wheel......

Crank Shaft Position sensor on its way out.......

Maybe the Cam Shaft position sensor too.......

Old 10-13-2011, 03:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Changed fuel filter, still missing. This is getting to be super frustrating. one new thing happened, I was test driving it and I missed third and bounced the rev limiter momentarily and the car just shut off...

Im starting to get pissed, and I really dont want to take it to the gm garage, cause 90% if the time I know more than their tech does.
Do you data log your stuff, i do with mine on hp tuners. I know it helps me some just to see what is going on with everything at that certain time. I do have a problem with my engine temp sensor connector not wanting to stay on. When it comes loose while data loggin it shows -31 degrees and cuts the car off. The damn thing started this right after it came off and i thought i got it back on good enough. Maybe i didn't. I gotta get me a new one. Hell that could be my problem but it does not show up like that on the data log when the misfire happens.

I am gonna check the cam poisition sensor and crank sensor and reluctor wheel. Whatever is on the car and decent to get to.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is the deal, my c5 out of the blue just started misfiring after a powershift. If I powershift 2 to 3 and sometimes 3 to 4. I have datalogged the misfires. They are random, and randomly when it misses it will be one cylinder that misses 40 plus times. then the next time it will be another cylinder. Here are the things that I have done so far...car is a 01 c5 all bolt ons and a tune.

1. plugs
2. wires
3. checked tune
4. pulled valve covers. mechanical components good.
5.checked grounds

I have noticed that it doesnt really pickup any major misfires at idle. it will be like 1 or 2 sometimes 4 misfires at idle on random cylinders. and you can tell its missing a tad at idle.
Hey do me a favor and check your fluid level in the radiator and tell me if it is low or not. Mine is lower than it should be and might be causing this, not really sure tho. Its a long shot but its something to check.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS6427
Maybe bent a bunch of valves......

Maybe bent a bunch of valves......HIGHLY DOUBT. purrs like a kitten at 5=k rpm. would miss horribly at high rpm with bent valves

I built a config file for checking all of the sensors. Im going to data log it to see if any sensors are acting funky.

Do you data log your stuff, i do with mine on hp tuners. I know it helps me some just to see what is going on with everything at that certain time. I do have a problem with my engine temp sensor connector not wanting to stay on. When it comes loose while data loggin it shows -31 degrees and cuts the car off. The damn thing started this right after it came off and i thought i got it back on good enough. Maybe i didn't. I gotta get me a new one. Hell that could be my problem but it does not show up like that on the data log when the misfire happens.

I am gonna check the cam poisition sensor and crank sensor and reluctor wheel. Whatever is on the car and decent to get to.
See above, Im going to data log with hp tuners tonight or tomorrow, Ill post the log.

Hey do me a favor and check your fluid level in the radiator and tell me if it is low or not. Mine is lower than it should be and might be causing this, not really sure tho. Its a long shot but its something to check.
I will check this and post back.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Mine was cutting @ the shift and it turned out the battery was hitting the A/C condenser.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

any update man?
Old 10-16-2011, 09:58 PM
11 Second Club

any update man?
been out of town and while out of town my clutch master cyl. went out. That was fun to fix on the side of the road.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

been out of town and while out of town my clutch master cyl. went out. That was fun to fix on the side of the road.
Wow, it just stopped working all of a sudden? That sucks!!! I would hate to have that happen.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:29 AM
11 Second Club

Wow, it just stopped working all of a sudden? That sucks!!! I would hate to have that happen.
yeah, my pedal just dropped to the floor and stayed. If I tried to pull it up it would suck it right back down. I was just cruising and went to shift gears and as soon as I hit about halfway on the pedal it just dropped. Couldnt put it in gear or anything, just stuck in neutral. Funny thing is, there were tons of people asking to help just so they could stop and look at a vette. lmao.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:28 AM
11 Second Club

I have been trying to datalog, but the weather isnt permitting. when the rain finally clears up, ill get a good datalog in and hopefully see whats going on.

Have you had any luck finding out whats going on?
Old 10-20-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have been trying to datalog, but the weather isnt permitting. when the rain finally clears up, ill get a good datalog in and hopefully see whats going on.

Have you had any luck finding out whats going on?
Na i had my clutch disc come apart at the lsx shootout so its been down a bit. I got the new assembly yesterday and probably gonna be putting it in tommorrow. Then i gotta break it in so it will be a week or two before i will be able to test anything. Hopefully i can figure it out quickly!!!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:01 PM
11 Second Club

here is my data log. It has some idle and two wot pulls. one pull no lift shift, and one powershift. To me it sure looks like my MAF is bad.
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
misfireaftershift.hpl (65.6 KB, 101 views)

Quick Reply: Random Misfire after power shift....ODD