Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock cat replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock cat replacement

I was planning on doing a new exhaust setup with LT's and the whole bit, but I decided to go in another direction to stay legal with California SMOG laws. I have two brand new high flow magnaflow spun cats that I can't figure out what to do with.

Would it be worth replacing the stock cats with these if I am keeping my stock manifolds? Or am I better of selling these and putting my money elsewhere?

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you replace your stock cats with high flow spun cats you are not legal anymore anyhow so if you are considering doing that you might as well install long tubes. Or leave it alone and sell the cats...that would be my choice.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's true, but I think the cats would be a lot less obvious than a set of LT's. I'm just wondering if there is anything to gain or if the stock manifolds are more of a restriction.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got some jba shorty that will work for car to stay legal willing to sale or trade
Old 10-21-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ROMERO98Z28
I got some jba shorty that will work for car to stay legal willing to sale or trade
Sent you a PM. Still looking for opinions.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:30 PM
Teching In

What's up just wondering what year the JBA shorties are for? Do u still have them available? what condition are they in? What are you looking for a trade?What price are u lookin for?
Old 10-21-2011, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the thread jack Snaggle. Try sending a PM.

Can someone help me with my original question.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Magnaflow makes replacements that are CA legal, but for the price you could have a full exhaust
Old 10-21-2011, 08:36 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 212 Likes on 179 Posts

You really can't replace the stock cats with those because of the stock cat is integral with the header pipe. If you figured out a way, you'd fail visual. I suppose you could gut the stock cats and install the Magnaflows in an aftermarked Y-pipe, but that would be a lot of work and expense for very few hp. Plus you may fail the sniffer.

The consensus on this board is pretty much "either go LT's or leave your manifolds and cats alone."
Old 10-21-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blk98Vert
Magnaflow makes replacements that are CA legal, but for the price you could have a full exhaust
Thats true. My friend of mine in his 35th LE, a cat was going to ****, he replaced both of them, with some magnaflow high flow cats. 300 bucks with labor included.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr.z/28
Thats true. My friend of mine in his 35th LE, a cat was going to ****, he replaced both of them, with some magnaflow high flow cats. 300 bucks with labor included.
I believe it, the OBDII cats are a joke they are the same as any other cat. I've already had one go out and luckily they are under the 100,000 mile warranty. Although if one of them goes out out of warranty, I'll probably be using a non-OBDII cat.

I'm not too worried about the guys getting in there and taking a hard look at the cats, but if there are some stainless exhaust headers I know that will attract enough attention for them to look closer so I want to avoid that. Although it looks like this will be a waste of time.

Looks like I'll just sell them and put the money towards new valve springs for the cheatr cam.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:33 AM
TECH Addict

The stock cats are not that big of a restriction. From what I've read over the years the biggest restrictions in the factory exhaust is the muffler and the manifolds. So replacing if your not planning on doing LT's I would invest the money elsewhere.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Sorry for the tread jack but those JBA headers are stupid expensive and if some one has them i want to jump on them . Sorry again dude
Old 10-22-2011, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

Surely someone makes LTs with a CARB E.O. #...
Old 10-23-2011, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
Thanks for the thread jack Snaggle. Try sending a PM.

Can someone help me with my original question.
I was in your same position but moved away from Socal earlier in the year. I have the JBA shorty with stock cats mated to the better flowing SLP y-pipe and a Magnaflow system out the back. I went with the purchase 2 years ago of buying the Magnaflow Direct Fit replacements cats because they were rated as a higher flowing cat then the restrictive stock units. Never the less, they are still sitting in the original unopened boxes. I am now considering going the long tube route myself, but at the cost to HP increase, I am still debating. Also, if I keep the car and some day move back to Socal, I will no longer be smog legal and thus spend the $$$ again...ouch!!! My thoughts are yours too in this regard.....
Old 10-23-2011, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

Sell the cats and don't put any on. Screw California's tree hugging SMOG laws.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
You really can't replace the stock cats with those because of the stock cat is integral with the header pipe...
are we talking the same carline? all the ones i have seen are their own deal. manifold, cat, then y-pipe.

Originally Posted by NY02ws6

nope.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:08 AM
Launching!

Buy some new OEM units, gut em then put em on.
Swap back to the old units if you need to get a smog check.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NY02ws6
Unfortunately, there is not anyone that makes a set of CARB long tubes. Relocating the stock position of the cats is illegal and thats what the long tubes do.

Originally Posted by cali_bear2003
I was in your same position but moved away from Socal earlier in the year. I have the JBA shorty with stock cats mated to the better flowing SLP y-pipe and a Magnaflow system out the back. I went with the purchase 2 years ago of buying the Magnaflow Direct Fit replacements cats because they were rated as a higher flowing cat then the restrictive stock units. Never the less, they are still sitting in the original unopened boxes. I am now considering going the long tube route myself, but at the cost to HP increase, I am still debating. Also, if I keep the car and some day move back to Socal, I will no longer be smog legal and thus spend the $$$ again...ouch!!! My thoughts are yours too in this regard.....
I have a cheap set of long tubes for sale, PM me if you're interested.

Originally Posted by JTtransAM
Sell the cats and don't put any on. Screw California's tree hugging SMOG laws.
I would if I didn't mind risking a huge fine if I get pulled over and the cop looks for cats.

Originally Posted by Nowhereman
Buy some new OEM units, gut em then put em on.
Swap back to the old units if you need to get a smog check.
^^^ This is a damn good idea. I think this is the way to go. I'm interested if it will add any rasp, at least I could switch back to the good set.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
^^^ This is a damn good idea. I think this is the way to go. I'm interested if it will add any rasp, at least I could switch back to the good set.

or, gut the OLD ones, and put them on. then if you need to smog, THEN put the new ones on. dont know about the rasp though.

Quick Reply: Stock cat replacement