Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New SSRA scoop design review

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 02:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I can see this being a problem with a squirrel that already didn't make it.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I see dead squirrels jumping up into cars all the time.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very unique!
Old 02-04-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sepsis
Where can you get this?
pm sent.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How much does this setup cost and what is involved with installation? Any cutting into the upper radiator support?

Also, with the lower part of the scoop pulled all the way down, how many inches of ground clearance do you have?
Old 02-04-2012, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bramlok
How much does this setup cost and what is involved with installation? Any cutting into the upper radiator support?

Also, with the lower part of the scoop pulled all the way down, how many inches of ground clearance do you have?

There is no cutting or drilling anything with this kit, or any other SSRA/Mega Mouth SSRA kit, unlike some of the others. As with every other kit, you have to do the free ram air mod.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Launching!

Not a bad idea, might want to look into a travel limiter of some kind for the scoop though.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:28 PM
Launching!

vry interested!
Old 03-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by deerslayinrednek
why does the opening need to be smaller at low speeds? Why not just have it all the way open all the time instead of springing shut?....I'm just not liking it
I wondering the same thing... what is the benefit of it opening/closing?

I do prefer the SSRA over the others setups I've seen and intend to install this system in the near future. One thins I have to ask, does this system and the SLP cause less flow to the radiator? Commons sense tells me it has to.....
Old 03-01-2012, 01:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by awm556
I wondering the same thing... what is the benefit of it opening/closing?

I do prefer the SSRA over the others setups I've seen and intend to install this system in the near future. One thins I have to ask, does this system and the SLP cause less flow to the radiator? Commons sense tells me it has to.....
As far as the benefit of opening and closing, ram air kits work with speed, drawing in colder air as you drive, so the faster you go, the wider the mouth opens, allowing more air in compared to a fixed size scoop. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make, but my guess is it would be a little more efficient, especially for a built engine where air flow matters more than normal.

Compared to some of the other kits, the SSRA doesn't effect the radiator flow as much. First of all, installing it, it sits in front of the AC condenser that's in front of the radiator. And since the scoop screws into the front bumper, all the original air flow parts are still in place to cool the radiator (fin under the front of car and such). Also by design, the SSRA curves away from the radiator to avoid blocking the incoming air that cools the radiator, so if it does cause a heat increase, it isn't much.

I recently installed the AC version of the SSRA. I also installed a 160* thermostat, but after running the car for a little while, even untuned, my idle temps have been the same, if not a little lower (because of the thermostat, but no significant idle temp increase from the SSRA; stock gauge measurement on this, so take it with a grain of salt).
Old 03-01-2012, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I may be wrong but I believe the hole in the upper piece and the corresponding slot on the lower piece indicates there's supposed to be a bolt/nut or some type of rivet to limit how wide it is able to open. Did you have any extra bolts after you installed it? Curious since once you got beyond 50mph or so, the lower piece was just an inch off the ground...
Old 03-01-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VinR1
I may be wrong but I believe the hole in the upper piece and the corresponding slot on the lower piece indicates there's supposed to be a bolt/nut or some type of rivet to limit how wide it is able to open. Did you have any extra bolts after you installed it? Curious since once you got beyond 50mph or so, the lower piece was just an inch off the ground...
i was thinking the same thing but the piece in the photos is different than the one in the video. the photos show the SSRA having no holes on the side and in the video they do?
Old 03-02-2012, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

The reason for getting larger at speed and smaller when you are going slow has to do with clearance. When you're going slow, your entering driveways, parking lots, etc. There is more things to hit with it. When you get up to a speed where it opens you don't have to worry about that.

As far as the slots and holes that you see in the YouTube video, this was a prototype. They were going to be stops to prevent it from opening too wide. With the hinge that I use now, no stops are needed, thus no holes.

Quick Reply: New SSRA scoop design review