Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 7/8" arh HEADER INSTALL BY RPM

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

I'll send you a PM. I don't want to ruin the OP's thread.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What was the reason you went with the 1 7/8 instead of the 1 3/4?

There is a lot if information on these types of forums. Some is good some just repeated bad info that becomes so-called correct and people start repeating as if it is gospel. When I first inquired about headers, I checked out this and other forums. I began to believe what I read about the 1 3/4 vs 1 7/8. Looking deeper I began to come around to the 1 7/8. It really was researching and emailing Fran and actually ARH. It came down to believing what I thought to be true and trusting someone who actually had real life experience, Fran from RPM that I had confidence in. I could have believed soley what I read and gone with the 1 3/4, although that is not my nature. An example is someone wrote I could gain an easy 10hp by switching my stock SS muffler.That may be true. Although I wouldn't change just based on someone saying it. If and when I do more I will research and go back to the people I have come to trust. As an aside, several years ago I got my car dynoed at the Carlisile nationals. I dynoed about 18 more HP then the same year stock SS with the SLP center exhaust.
This person was surprised because she had heard that she would get X amount of horsepower gain by that $900.00 I think option. Anyway I am completely pleased with my gains ant the new sound. ......At least for now.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought this was interesting from someone who knows LS1's.

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
I've posted this about a thousand times, but I'm going to post it one more time.

In the back to back testing we did, heads with 1.55" exhaust valves MADE MORE POWER EVERYWHERE WITH 1 7/8" HEADERS COMPARED TO 1 3/4"

Heads with 1.57" valves seemed to make about the same power either way.

The AFR heads with 1.60" valves made less power with Kooks 1 7/8" headers compared to Hooker 1 3/4" with a cam that had 2 degree split.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by STEELMAN
There is a lot if information on these types of forums. Some is good some just repeated bad info that becomes so-called correct and people start repeating as if it is gospel. When I first inquired about headers, I checked out this and other forums. I began to believe what I read about the 1 3/4 vs 1 7/8. Looking deeper I began to come around to the 1 7/8. It really was researching and emailing Fran and actually ARH. It came down to believing what I thought to be true and trusting someone who actually had real life experience, Fran from RPM that I had confidence in. I could have believed soley what I read and gone with the 1 3/4, although that is not my nature. An example is someone wrote I could gain an easy 10hp by switching my stock SS muffler.That may be true. Although I wouldn't change just based on someone saying it. If and when I do more I will research and go back to the people I have come to trust. As an aside, several years ago I got my car dynoed at the Carlisile nationals. I dynoed about 18 more HP then the same year stock SS with the SLP center exhaust.
This person was surprised because she had heard that she would get X amount of horsepower gain by that $900.00 I think option. Anyway I am completely pleased with my gains ant the new sound. ......At least for now.
I just like to let people the options they have, and I don't expect anyone to do something I say based solely on me saying it. I would hope that it would spark their curiosity to do their own research(like I do), then decide for them self on the option/s I suggested.
Still IMO, the biggest restriction on the stock exhaust is the muffler, that's where most(not all) of the power gain comes from when you install a 3" cat-back.

BTW, If I came across in a way that insulted you, that was not my intent, only to inform you .
Anyway enjoy your new headers!
Old 01-28-2012, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

Good thread.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I just like to let people the options they have, and I don't expect anyone to do something I say based solely on me saying it. I would hope that it would spark their curiosity to do their own research(like I do), then decide for them self on the option/s I suggested.
Still IMO, the biggest restriction on the stock exhaust is the muffler, that's where most(not all) of the power gain comes from when you install a 3" cat-back.

BTW, If I came across in a way that insulted you, that was not my intent, only to inform you .
Anyway enjoy your new headers!
Not insulted at all.
As to enjoying? completely. Can't wait to put my summer wheels and tires back on and run it at he track.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:05 PM
10 Second Club

nice gains for sure!! congrats!

they are def a bunch of good guys down there

-brandon
Old 01-29-2012, 08:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice gains for sure. I'm getting ready to install some 1-7/8 headers along with new motor mounts. I wish I had gone with the larger headers from the get go.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Hey STEELMAN, I'm thinking about getting ARH 1 7/8 w/cats on my Camaro. What Y-Pipe did you use? Since you kept the factory muffler, the first time you started your car after the install did you notice any change in the exhaust note? Was it any louder or deeper? I want to keep my factory muffler....I have the factory CME and I think it sounds great....nothing wrong with CME exhaust....I put down 330 HP and 342 TQ sae corrected DynoJet.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SSmith
Hey STEELMAN, I'm thinking about getting ARH 1 7/8 w/cats on my Camaro. What Y-Pipe did you use? Since you kept the factory muffler, the first time you started your car after the install did you notice any change in the exhaust note? Was it any louder or deeper? I want to keep my factory muffler....I have the factory CME and I think it sounds great....nothing wrong with CME exhaust....I put down 330 HP and 342 TQ sae corrected DynoJet.
i believe it was all ARH. Including the catted Y-Pipe. I just have the stock SS muffler and like you I like the sound. Yhe exhaust note is a bit lower and a bit louder. Very subtle change from the outside. Inside the car it is more noticeble. Sounding deeper and louder more of a growl. Even with this though it is not unpleasant at highway speed. Just got back from a run to Atlantic City. about 60 miles each way. Not unpleasant at all.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats on your purchase STEELMAN! I also went with ARH and their catted Y a few years ago and it was the best thing I had done to the hawk. I went with the 1 3/4 but have no regrets at all since my hawk is a daily driver and has never seen the track anyway. Yes it changed my car completely after the install1
Old 01-30-2012, 02:36 AM
10 Second Club

Very good to hear your happy with the arh! How do they fit any cutting or floor pan interference issues?
Old 01-30-2012, 02:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Great numbers. Hope I can see the same when I do my exhaust and mail order tune in a few weeks.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If anything, all gains or losses aside, installing a different muffler will make it sound better. If your happy with the current sound, awesome.

If not, there are a lot of different mufflers that will give it a slightly louder tone without being stupid loud. The Slp dual dual muffler comes to mind instantly. Very slight sound increase but the overall tone is hard to beat. Esp with a good catted y pipe like you have.

I could see a small gain in HP and tq as well.

There are a lot of videos on here of that exact setup. Would definitely be worth a look even if it becomes something in the back of your mind for the future. Esp if your poking around carlisle swap meet and happen to see one for sale.

Quick Reply: 1 7/8" arh HEADER INSTALL BY RPM