Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP 2OTL vs Hooker - Quieter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 01:12 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default SLP 2OTL vs Hooker - Quieter?

As the title mentions, of the two, which one is quieter.
I like the sound characteristics of both the SLP 2OTL and the Hooker.
I need QUIET for 7am startups. (Dual electric cutout Y shall take care of LOUD ).

Please don't bring up SLP D/D, Magnaflow, or any other type of catback.

I'd like to hear from people who've heard the 2OTL and Hooker live, in person (I've already gone through the LS1sounds website, heck I refer people to that kick *** site every day). Even better, I'd like to hear from anyone who has heard these two side by side.

Last edited by SouthFL.02.SS; 03-21-2004 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-21-2004, 01:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

It's been a long time since I've heard the Hooker, but I used to have SLP 2OTL on my car with the following setup:

Bassani mids
ORY
B1 cam

It sounded great. Much quieter at idle than the Bassani catback I have now, but VERY nice at WOT. And the lope of the cam was still there at idle. Don't get me wrong, it's far from 'stock' noise levels, but compared to your current sound file it's probably only half as loud (maybe even quieter than half) at idle.

Why did I get rid of it? Two reasons:

1) SLP 2OTL looks on a T/A rear bumper cover. Leaves the passenger side tail pipe cutout blank and looks like something is missing. This is a non-issue on your Camaro though, 2OTL looks BADASS on Camaros, and if I ever get another Camaro I will probably use this catback on it.

2) I don't daily drive my T/A by any means. It's for weekends/nice weather only, so I wanted it to be louder at all rpms. I didn't want 'cutout' type loud, just a louder muffler. Hence I ended up with my current setup and couldn't be happier.

SLP 2OTL flows great, you can look straight though the muffler. The sound is awesome at WOT and idle/cruise are very mellow. Since you will have cutouts, that solves the "too quiet for the car shows" issue. 2OTL might just be for you!
Old 03-21-2004, 01:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason over at Thunder has the hooker on his car. He says it the best for H/C cars because it doesnt restrict too much plus it is relatively quite at idle and only gets really loud when you get on it. Plus it has a great sound.
Old 03-21-2004, 01:28 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

RPM WS6, this is exactly the type of info I'm lookin' for. Thanks for your lengthy response. Much appreciated.

Any Hooker fans out there (pun intentional, haha)? I'd like to hear from both sides.

-Edit, post written before reading Maddboost's...

Keep 'em comin'.
Old 03-21-2004, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

slp TOL all the way.
Old 03-21-2004, 03:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the 2OTL, but the hooker is quiter IMO.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

I just installed a hooker areochamber from thunder racing on myslp cme exhaust i live in an apartment complex. its stock quiet at idle but when you get on it LOVE IT! plus it flows gang busters.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

i use a hooker catback with ory pipe and lt's now....quiet at idle still. higher rpms its wicked souding GREAT TONE. very aggressive. flows excellent i personally would choose it over the 2otl because im partial to the dual rear exits myself. just looks better imo. can't go wrong with the hooker...its cheap, its aggressive (at higher rpms) and it is very deceiving i've been told.

good luck
Travis
Old 03-24-2004, 12:08 AM
12 Second Club

Another vote for the Hooker catback here. I just did my LT's and offroad pipe and it sounds badass at WOT but is very quiet at idle and when cruising. The best thing is that almost ALL of the nasty rasp from LT's and no cats is gone (you can barely hear it trying to get though). I've gotten a ton of looks and compliments already. Another good note is that it flows great as mentioned.. I read a thread a couple of days ago were a guy unbolted his Hooker catback and only gained 2 rwhp, there was another that I know that only picked up 5 rwhp with his open.

PS, the stainless tips look great on Trans Am's and really fill up the space in the bumper.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another vote for Hooker.

I've heard both live. I have a friend who had a 00' Z with Mac's, ORP, and 2OTL. Had so much rasp it was horrible to listen to.

I have the Hooker with LT's and ORP and wouldn't want any other sound out of my car. I can be cruising at 70 on the highway and sound completely like stock. But when WOT comes around I've been told I've been heard from a mile away.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

jakey2kz...haha my girlfriend just told me something similar today. I went out to her house in the boonies to suprise her for lunch during my break...just to give you an idea..her gravel drive way is just over 1/4 mile long...there is a streth of road that is exactly .7 miles long then there is the highway...I passed this doush bag in a vert v6 mustang doing about 40 in a 55...while im in the other lane passing (two lane road with dotted yellow lines) my girlfriend calls me and tells me "since you are on your way here for lunch how abotu you stopp of at Sheetz and pick up something to drink...we are out of everything"...i asked her who told her i was coming and she laughed and said should could hear me passing someone on 287 (the highway i was on)....

**** is just wicked at WOT.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:34 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The Hooker will be louder without cats IMO. With cats it'd be a toss up...

The 20TL flows great, but looks like ***....
Old 03-24-2004, 05:40 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Damian
The Hooker will be louder without cats IMO. With cats it'd be a toss up...

The 20TL flows great, but looks like ***....
Looks like *** on TA's.
But on Camaro's it's distinctive (but heck, it's all subjective).

Anyhow, I posted this a few days ago when I was contemplating going back to a catback setup (currently running duals). I've decided to keep the duals, I'm just changing the mufflers from Flowtech Afterburners to Magnaflow 4x9 Ovals.

The 2OTL and the Hooker continue to be my favorite catbacks. I hope this post at least proved informative for others making a similar decision. Thanks for your responses.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:33 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Looks like *** on TA's.
But on Camaro's it's distinctive (but heck, it's all subjective).

Anyhow, I posted this a few days ago when I was contemplating going back to a catback setup (currently running duals). I've decided to keep the duals, I'm just changing the mufflers from Flowtech Afterburners to Magnaflow 4x9 Ovals.

The 2OTL and the Hooker continue to be my favorite catbacks. I hope this post at least proved informative for others making a similar decision. Thanks for your responses.
I think you made the right choice! Those duals sound great, all it takes is quieter mufflers to take the edge off.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slik98z
jakey2kz...haha my girlfriend just told me something similar today. I went out to her house in the boonies to suprise her for lunch during my break...just to give you an idea..her gravel drive way is just over 1/4 mile long...there is a streth of road that is exactly .7 miles long then there is the highway...I passed this doush bag in a vert v6 mustang doing about 40 in a 55...while im in the other lane passing (two lane road with dotted yellow lines) my girlfriend calls me and tells me "since you are on your way here for lunch how abotu you stopp of at Sheetz and pick up something to drink...we are out of everything"...i asked her who told her i was coming and she laughed and said should could hear me passing someone on 287 (the highway i was on)....

**** is just wicked at WOT.

****'s great isn't. LOL
to Hooker
Old 03-26-2004, 10:03 AM
Launching!

Go with the hooker setup. I really enjoy mine. here is a clip of my car under WOT

Sorry that I don't have one at idle but it sounds nice. Kind of a mean rumble however quiet enough to not wake the family or your neighbors. But when you get into it, oooo it sounds really good.

20 to 100 run
Old 03-26-2004, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I looked on SLPs website and could find nothing on this SLP 2OTL, where do I find it at??
Old 03-26-2004, 08:12 PM
dug
Banned

If you want quiet without compromising the flow do a custom 1oftl catback. I have a 1oftl with a stock sized 3" ultraflow muffler. Its a straight through design like the bullets with a oval style casing. Its nice a quiet when driving with traffic. At wot it gets alot louder with out getting harsh. With the mac headers and ory theres still some rasp. When its raspin Its not too loud but the tone sucks.

Theres a magnaflow muffler thats bigger than stock would work. It would probably be even quieter than stock even with headers.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:34 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZeeQuick
I looked on SLPs website and could find nothing on this SLP 2OTL, where do I find it at??
It's there, look under all the exhaust options. It's listed under something like "2 exhaust pipes exiting at driver's side" or something like that. About $390 if I recall.
Old 03-27-2004, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is this it??

http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...&SHOWEMAIL=Off