Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PP 85mm Typhoon Intake Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PP 85mm Typhoon Intake Impressions

First of all I want to make sure that folks know the old adage "You get what you pay for" definately comes into play with this intake.

I've read about the casting flash, runner cleanup being necessary on most, numerous times. Without the bottom plate removed, the runners looked great so I thought about tossing the intake on without any cleanup. Just for peace-of-mind, I pulled the bottom plate and BOOM, I was hit with one of the worst looking casting I have ever seen. It looked like the mold shifted, hard edges sticking out inside the runners, flash all over the runner entrys.

What concerned me the most was that two of the pieces of flash that I ran my fingers accross simply fell off into the runner. Both were around the size of a pencil eraser! If these would have come loose in my new motor, PP would have been paying a hefty pricetag for a replacement.

The reason for going aluminum was for a big nitrous setup and backfire potential. The price was great but if you decide to go this route, REMOVE THE BOTTOM PLATE AND THOROUGHLY INSPECT BEFORE INSTALLING.

Also, I sent my concerns to PP via email and have had no response as of yet.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

this is very good info, i have been looking at these manifolds as well. I will not spend almost $1k on just a fast manifold for a very minimal gain.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have no qualms with these manifolds. they do the job great for a lot less. i have a thread up right now pp 96 vs. fast 102 in this forum. i have ran both sizes of these intakes. if you're looking for a hefty nitrous setup, ide go with one of these. if you're looking for a small setup, 75 shot with a plate, ide go with fast 90 since you can find those around for about the same price as one of these new, plus fast will get slightly more peak power over the pp 85, FWIW, just keep your eyes open.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mikh338, what are your dyno numbers for that 370 and cam?
Old 03-14-2012, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by taman86
mikh338, what are your dyno numbers for that 370 and cam?
i have a graph for 440whp and 410tq at a dyno day. The tuner that did it is very very good, but i think the car has a lot more in it. I am still on stock 241 heads, intake, tb. I cant wait to upgrade all those and make a bit more power!! I am going to put spray on it as well.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats actually really good. i had an 01 a couple years back, cam only but stock block and pretty much same setup but with a FMS F13 cam and put down 410. i swapped the intake and tb, and injectors but never got around to having it tuned again but i think it shouldve been close to 420. i am about to pick a new t/a, its a 99 but with a 6.0 with a tsp 224 cam, afr mongoose 205cc heads, bbk 80mm intake and tb and put down 448. its fairly mild cam for the motor and the guy even said it was tuned conservatively. i think with a heftier cam and intake it should be worth at least another 20 hp.

sorry about the thread jack op
Old 03-14-2012, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you take any photos before cleaning it up?
Old 03-16-2012, 08:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 54inches
Did you take any photos before cleaning it up?
Wish I would have. I'm in a rush to get the motor together and didn't even think to take some pictures.

I got a canned response from PP stating that this is the first one they have heard of with this issue...

I've actually read on some mustang boards about the same issue. Unfortunately, it was after the fact.

I want to make it clear that I'm not knocking the intake at all. This is intended to warn folks that bolting it on straight out of the box is not wise.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Awesome brother!

Quick Reply: PP 85mm Typhoon Intake Impressions