Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

couple FAST install questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default couple FAST install questions

Hi,
I have a few quick install questions.
Can oem intake bolts be used with the FAST or are theirs required? Same question about gaskets. Will oem gaskets work to seal the intake to the heads?

Thanks
Old 04-01-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you need to use FAST bolts and gaskets
Old 04-01-2012, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need the fast bolts but you can use oem intake gaskets. At least that's what I used with my fast 90
Old 04-01-2012, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks, I have read a few times that you do not need the FAST manifold bolts on this site so I just wanted to double check. I have the valley cover bolts but wasnt sure about the manifold ones. What is special about them compared to stock. longer, shorter etc? Also, seems like one vote of must use the FAST gasket and one vote for oem gasket. Can we get a tie breaker?
Old 04-01-2012, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure why people are saying you need FAST bolts....OEM bolts worked just fine for me on my FAST 92. I used Felpro gaskets though, the OEM ones were much thinner.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I heard that stock bolts stay tight ,and the fast will loosen up.I feel only use new intake gaskets ,they don't cost much.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:21 AM
TECH Resident

You can use oem gaskets and bolts to secure the intake. Just not oem valley cover bolts you need the rounded Allen key ones. If you run oem valley cover bolts you will crack the bottom of the intake!!!
Old 04-02-2012, 06:56 AM
Launching!

i haven't installed my fast 102 yet but i think from reading instructions it recommends there intake bolts and a little dab off thread lock-tight to secure them, will have to double check that when i install it (waiting for heads to come back). i know my 102 kit comes with a heap off different bolts, think some are for the valley plate as well.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Teching In

i just installed mine, you have to use the button head allen bolts for the valley cover, you have to use the new intake bolts FAST gives you and also i went with all new intake gaskets for simple reason of i didnt want to worry about any problems. they were only like 20 bucks. but i have heard of people using the OEM gaskets just make sure you put a small amount of oil on them when installing them. all i did was dip mu finger in oil and rubbed it on the gasket. just enough to seat it properly.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

this is great, you have to use the FAST intake bolts, you dont have to use the FAST bolts. i didnt realize this question was so controversial. I guess the real question is why do I have to use the FAST intake bolts? valley cover bolts, got it. understood it is a fitment thing but are the intake bolts longer, shorter?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

What intake are you getting, 90/92 or 102? I don't know for sure about the 102's but I know for a fact the 90/92's you can use the OEM bolts. That may be why your getting different answers.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by baxsom
this is great, you have to use the FAST intake bolts, you dont have to use the FAST bolts. i didnt realize this question was so controversial. I guess the real question is why do I have to use the FAST intake bolts? valley cover bolts, got it. understood it is a fitment thing but are the intake bolts longer, shorter?
You will crack the intake if you don't use the fast bolts!!!!! That clown telling you to use stock bolts either has a cracked intake or more than likely not even a fast intake. The amount of misinformation on this site is getting out of hand!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

On my FAST 102 the OEM bolts & FAST bolts are the same exact length and tread pitch, I had to use an OEM when I lost one of the Fast bolts for a while, No problems, You'll be fine using the OEM bolts but Fast will Probably tell you otherwise cause u cant just buy 1 bolt for the FAST( have to get the whole hardware package),
Anyway If the Bolt has The Same Specs, other then the grade and head you shouldn't have any issues in my OPINION in this Situation
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
00 Formula, SS3600,PRC 5.3 S.2.5,228R, PORTED FAST102/102TB
Old 04-02-2012, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by smg267
You will crack the intake if you don't use the fast bolts!!!!! That clown telling you to use stock bolts either has a cracked intake or more than likely not even a fast intake. The amount of misinformation on this site is getting out of hand!

Those are the valley cover bolts that will crack the intake, OP knows to use those. I don't think anyone said OEM valley bolts are ok.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It amazes me how bad info gets going on this site. It's pretty simple:

Fast 78, 90, 92-. valley cover You either use the buttonhead bolts that fast provides, you grind down the stock valley cover bolts so the head is short, or you go to the hardware store and find your own buttonhead bolts. The Oem bolts are m8 x 1.0 x 30mm

Fast 78, 90, 92-. Oem intake bolts are OK to use. Or you order stainless ones from fast, or you save $ and order the stainless bolts from a major bolt supplier (I can't say the name but most know who). the Oem bolts are m6 x 1.0 x 119mm

Mark jr

Last edited by BlackDuk98; 04-02-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thank You,
so very much thank you.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Launching!

I installed FAST 102 originally used fast bolts that came with intake to secure to heads they backed out and i had a bad vacume leak. installed oem bolts with thread lock no problem now and for me using the oem bolts was easier for me to get the torque wrench on and get every thing torqued to correct specs and sequence. as far as gasket i used the FAST
Old 04-04-2012, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks guys, i appreciate everyone clearing that up for me. please bear with one more question. I have a 00 block with the coolant lines under the intake. I have read that it is a good idea to get two coolant bypasses and put one on the front and rear. Do you just connect those together and T them into the oem line?

Thanks again,
Old 04-04-2012, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by baxsom
thanks guys, i appreciate everyone clearing that up for me. please bear with one more question. I have a 00 block with the coolant lines under the intake. I have read that it is a good idea to get two coolant bypasses and put one on the front and rear. Do you just connect those together and T them into the oem line?

Thanks again,
The LS6 coolant tube setup ties the front 2 together and has block off plugs for the back of the heads. A lot of people do it this way with no problem. There are also people that have had problems when blocking the back off. I am a firm believer in haveing the coolant going to all 4 corners.

Some people will purchase 2 LS6 coolant tubes setups and ignore the block off plugs and just use both front sections and tie them together. Different approach to make it work like an LS1 setup.

A few have tweaked the LS1 tubes so that they will work under a fast intake. This is what I did because I didn't want anything extra visible on the top of my motor, nor did I want extra points that may leak at some point. I did a quicky writeup w/ pics on here but most people seem to fear this route for fear of crushing the tube. But if you take your time, it is easy and keeps $$ in your pocket:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...take-pics.html
Old 04-05-2012, 02:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

the two tubes is what I am going to do, just picked up 2 of them for the price of 1. does it make a difference how they are hooked up. I am guessing that you hook both tubes together with a hose and then T that into the original incoming hose?

Quick Reply: couple FAST install questions