Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**Finished, w/ pics** FAST 92mm- What epoxy to fill drilled EGR hole?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 08:31 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry. Yeah, I clicked it, but as far out as we are..... I've had better, faster, and more consistent internet with dial-up in 1996
Old 06-13-2012, 09:26 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Well, I got it done, ALL done on Sunday. Much thanks to my wife with her skinny arms helping with the rear 2 driver's bolts. Unfortunately, she now understands my pain, as the cowl pins bit the **** out of her as well

Wound up using a metal epoxy, actually. Devcon Metal Weld, I believe was the name. **** started to dry AS it came out of the tube. Vicious ****, to say the least.

I went with the "mechanical block" plan, as my own fears were kindled a bit by you guys afraid of the epoxy breaking down and getting ingested. I bought a metal plug that was 1.25" and was small enough to BARELY fit inside the hole, but came to a stop on that lip I was talking about in the EGR port. I also liked the fact that it had the metal finger things to help aid in strength and give the epoxy some extra *** to grab onto.

I know the top looks like ****, but understand I only put 1/4" of epoxy for fear of not getting a full cure in time. I had 6hrs start to finish, and that includes painting. I mean, 8 hrs to pull the FAST 78, clean it enough to ship, do all this with the manifold, throw the top and bottom shell in the dishwasher, install a new rope gasket, reinstall, relearn idle and whatnot, and drive back to the dock to get BACK on the rig. I've had 3 days off, total, in 2 months.

I think given the allocated time frame, I did pretty damned good. And the dishwasher trick worked perfect. Just turn the dry cycle off.

No flash in these pics. The shine is the plethora of OIL in the runners!

With the plug installed, from inside the top shell view. Not happy about the gap, but I'm NOT taking the risk.

Don't bitch about the ugliness here. I had 8 hrs total. This is the first layer. 2nd layer goes on when i get home, and will be FLUSH with the top.

And on to the finished product..... Satin black with red letters. Might do Wilson in silver when i get home.

Updated with pics now. Thanks to all who posted and contributed. Now if I could only get pics posted of my custom MAF, a few more would be happy.....
Old 06-13-2012, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think I would of got that much done, I hate feeling rushed when working on my car.

BTW, good job!
Old 06-13-2012, 01:37 PM
The Scammer Hammer

I'd be a hell of a lot happier if I could figure out why my ASR is permanently off now, as well as a check engine light....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...new-issue.html

Car runs like an absolute raped ape though. Best and most stable idle I've EVER had.

Quick Reply: **Finished, w/ pics** FAST 92mm- What epoxy to fill drilled EGR hole?