Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Firehawk, will FTRA make a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 09:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Firehawk, will FTRA make a difference?

Guys,

I'm about to start toying with my 2002 Firehawk, and I need some advice.

I'm going to eventually get heads/cam work done, so I'll be going with some American Racing 1 7/8 headers to mate up with the SLP installed dual-dual catback exhaust.

Here's my question: is the SLP airlid combined with the SLP ram air hood actually a good intake? Would I see a benefit in installing the Fast Toys ram air airdam intake? (Or the SLP version of the same)

Also, are paper filters the way to go, or are any of you believers in k&n etc?

Thanks!!
Old 06-06-2012, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cold_steel
Guys,

I'm about to start toying with my 2002 Firehawk, and I need some advice.

I'm going to eventually get heads/cam work done, so I'll be going with some American Racing 1 7/8 headers to mate up with the SLP installed dual-dual catback exhaust.

Here's my question: is the SLP airlid combined with the SLP ram air hood actually a good intake? Would I see a benefit in installing the Fast Toys ram air airdam intake? (Or the SLP version of the same)

Also, are paper filters the way to go, or are any of you believers in k&n etc?

Thanks!!
ive been reading up on the FTRA and JAAM intakes for our cars and I have read a lot of peoples opinions etc...seems to go back and forth whether its actually worth spending money on. ive seen a lot of guys go buy foam and cut strips to seal the gap like the JAAM intakes do but cost $200, you pay a lot of money for the bottom piece of aluminum that comes in those intakes. And many people say stick with a paper filter as well. I actually opened up my lid and it has a paper filter in there as well.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Also, are paper filters the way to go, or are any of you believers in k&n etc
The factory "ram air" hoods are more for looks than function.

Some of the aftermarket true ram air kits have proven to show gains of a couple mph in the 1/4 mile. It's a measurable difference but probably not enough that you will actually feel it. Especially if you're doing a bunch of other mods at the same time. The way I see it, if you have a few extra hundred dollars, it can't hurt. If it's a street car that never sees the track, I don't know if I would waste my money on one.

I just use a good quality paper filter. I'm not a fan of k&n for many reasons.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I would do it just for lower IAT and the chance of improving highway mpg.

I am racking my brain trying to figure out a way to get an air intake setup for my chevelle that works more like the fbody/vettes as it is a much better system and the gains from ram air have been fairly well proven.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Teching In

Ok thanks for the replies. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't completely crippling things with the SLP airlid/firehawk hood setup
Old 06-06-2012, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok thanks for the replies. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't completely crippling things with the SLP airlid/firehawk hood setup
Once you do the ARH headers you will forget all about the lid. I have the ARH with their High flow cats and their Y. Lucky enough mine had the Blackhawk lid, and I have always used the K&N filter or the Blue one (forgot the name). I have always used and like the K&N ones, so I no longer use the paper ones. Nothing wrong with the paper ones, just what I like. I like our lids, but I like the dual Volant (blue) cool air intakes, I like the way they look.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sleepinghawk
Once you do the ARH headers you will forget all about the lid. I have the ARH with their High flow cats and their Y. Lucky enough mine had the Blackhawk lid, and I have always used the K&N filter or the Blue one (forgot the name). I have always used and like the K&N ones, so I no longer use the paper ones. Nothing wrong with the paper ones, just what I like. I like our lids, but I like the dual Volant (blue) cool air intakes, I like the way they look.
I have the blackwing airlid as well, just without the donaldson air filter, original owner used paper filters.

What kind of gains did you see when you added the headers to your otherwise stock firehawk?
Old 06-07-2012, 06:51 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Paper filter. The Wix/Car Quest filters have more pleats equaling more square inches of filtration surface area.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Paper filter. The Wix/Car Quest filters have more pleats equaling more square inches of filtration surface area.
Good to know. I'll switch to those next time. It has a purolator right now
Old 06-07-2012, 12:16 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I just switched FROM a K&N to an AMSOil. I noticed no power difference, but I can no longer see sunlight through the air filter either....
Old 06-07-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I went with the SSRA ram air bc it requires no cutting of the hood latch and a true scoop that comes all the way down. I've heard the Slp cold air kit is a waste of money. I've heard good things about the ftra too
Old 06-08-2012, 01:46 PM
FormerVendor

Both the JAAM and FTRA will be noticeable upgrades on your WS6. The JAAM kit makes the hood function and seals the snorkels to the air box. The FTRA takes a different approach and routes air from under the vehicle into a sealed air box.

We feel the FTRA will give slightly better performance but a lot of people prefer to make the WS6 functional and prefer to go with the JAAM as it also works well.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by andy-lswon
I went with the SSRA ram air bc it requires no cutting of the hood latch and a true scoop that comes all the way down. I've heard the Slp cold air kit is a waste of money. I've heard good things about the ftra too
+1 on ssra but I wouldnt say slp is a waste of money. It works just like all of them work but ssra is the best imo.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a friend with a FTRA on his Z28. You could feel it pulling harder at higher speed. You can tell the difference between one that has one and one that doesn't. Another one to look at is a Chris1313 designed ra
Old 06-08-2012, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the FTRA and K&N filter like new for sale. I also have 2 lids for sale. I have gone to s twin turbo system and just removed them last weekend. I did feel like the FTRA helped. PM if interested in parts. I have hooker coated long tubes and or-y as well.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the blackwing airlid as well, just without the donaldson air filter, original owner used paper filters.

What kind of gains did you see when you added the headers to your otherwise stock firehawk?

Had it dynoed before the headers, by (John) broadviewautoservice.com who put in my new gears and new axle's. Then I had Frost do his magic. The ARH were the best mod that I had done to my car. It was like night and day as far as when the headers were put on and the way the car felt. The gears, Frost, headers woke the Hawk up, but kept it driveable for a daily driver year round!
Old 06-08-2012, 10:46 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

The backside of the Firehawk hood has narrow slits instead of the broad opening on the WS6. You won't get great cold airflow through it.

To me, preserving originality would be important on a Firehawk. For that reason, I wouldn't even hack the lower airbox to do FTRA until I obtained a spare one.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Installation wise the SSRA looks to be the easiest too. The reason I said the Slp is a waist is there's a reason fast toys makes the extension kit for it to pretty much turn it into a ftra

Quick Reply: 2002 Firehawk, will FTRA make a difference?