Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 sensor problem after long tube headers and ory

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy O2 sensor problem after long tube headers and ory

Hello all

Hoping you can help with this one. With some help from 2 good friends (stayed up till 5 AM to help me install my Pacesetter long tubes and TSP ORY LOL so yes VERY good friends!!)

The one problem I'm having is that I'm getting two codes (P0154 & P0154 P.) From what I have read, this is the passenger side front O2 sensor not working.

I've crawled around underneath the car twice now and I can't crack this one. I've tried using my 2 old O2's from the oem catback..same error code. I've checked the harnesses and that is where I think the problem must lie. I've tried plugging the passenger O2 into the socket closest to the pass. side header as well as the connection on top of the transmission on the driver's side I'm not sure which is the right one as they both give me those 2 codes! I have a hard time believing that all of those O2 sensors I've tried are bad, as they did not throw any codes before I did headers.

Does anyone have some good pictures with closeups of passenger side longtube header O2 sensor correct location for hooking all the wiring up? That would help immensely. It has got to be something really simple..I hope! It's a discouraging one to trouble shoot as the car has to run for a few minutes to go out of open loop and then "DING" check engine lol!! I know that I only had to use an O2 extension cable on the drivers side, is this normal??

Thanks a lot all!!

Last edited by calgary_z28; 06-28-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you using 02 extensions? Its been a while since I did longtubes but you shouldnt be able to plug in your stock 02's with the longtubes (wire is too short).
Old 06-29-2012, 02:22 AM
TECH Regular

If you are using the stock 02's without extensions and you ARE able to plug in the 02's you are probably plugging the front 02's into the rear harness plugs on the car.
The following users liked this post:
Coy (04-28-2023)
Old 06-29-2012, 02:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Anytime you move the rear 02 sensors farther downstream then they should be they will usually set off the see light. If you extended them out, you should just tune the rear o2's out. This can be done with a handheld, or go to a tuner.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KTK Z28
If you are using the stock 02's without extensions and you ARE able to plug in the 02's you are probably plugging the front 02's into the rear harness plugs on the car.
Well here's the thing. I wasn't the one who was underneath the car during the header install and the guy that did it isn't sure. I know that we had to use an extension on the driver's side O2 (no codes) but not originally on the passenger's side. On the passenger side there is a harness that is very close that the stock O2 wire plugs into with ease. This throws P0154/P0154 P...I tried switching the O2 for one of my other O2 sensors..no effect.

I then tried plugging the passenger side O2 sensor into a harness plug that was on top of the transmission on the driver's side. This is the one that is held in with a plastic screw.To do this one , I had to use the extension and snake it around the transmission...also threw P0154/P0154 P

I got the rear O2 sensor's tuned out (or at least that's what the tuner told me) but the passenger front is still throwing codes. None of the three O2 sensors I have tried gave me any problems before on the oem y pipe.

*Does anyone have pictures or a diagram of front vs rear O2 sensor harness plugs?
Old 06-29-2012, 10:26 AM
11 Second Club

there is no way the passenger side o2 sensor will reach the proper plug its way to short the plug comes down the pasenger side of the inner fenderwell just under the hvac box the oil level wires are in the same loom as well as the starter wires.at least on my car thats where they were
Old 06-29-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The plugs back around the transmission are for the rear o2 sensors. You need to have your sensors hooked into the front plugs which are up near the engine. Look around up near the K member and engine and you will find them. You should need an extension on each one to reach.
As for the rear, unless you tune them out or use o2 sims they will throw a code also but it should still run fine.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Ok great! I did see another plug in fastened inside passenger side fender well hopefully that is it. ill need to use the extension to reach which makes sense thanks
Old 07-08-2012, 12:21 AM
Launching!

Ok, so I plugged the passenger side front O2 sensor into the socket in the passenger side wheel well directly above the control arm. This has got to be the right socket. The driver's side plugs into a socket in a very similar location so this must be it!

When I first started it up I still had code P0154 (O2 sensor ckty no activity (bank 2 sensor 1)

I also got a new code (yay!! ) which was code P0133 P (O2 sensor ckt slow response (bank 1 sensor 1)

I cleared both codes and took the Z for a 5 KM trip back home. So far, no check engine light. I'm casually optimistic but trying not to get my hopes up that my friend will return (SES light)

I tried to get the O2 sensor wires as far away from the headers as possible, but it is difficult to move them very far away, even with extensions. One of the extensions is showing a little meltage. Anyone have any tips on that?

Thanks for your help everyone, maybe it is fixed now..
Old 07-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Launching!

Thumbs down

Well its a weird intermittent problem now.

First cold start of the day and 10 K drive to the car wash, no SES light.

Second drive of the day about 30 minutes later , about 30 K in when the SES light pops up once again.

I cleared the codes, 30 K drive home and no light The codes are P0133 and P0133 P. Any ideas? Would this be causing it to run in open loop as it would be with P0154? Hopefully not..
Old 07-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the joys of long tube ownership. O2 sensors used on them typically throw those codes as they are too far downstream. People try substituting various aftermarket brands with varying success.

After trying different sensors and continuing to have the problem, I finally just turned the codes off for good. I do a scan every now and then to check that they're operating properly.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Launching!

^^^this, when I did mine, I had to buy extensions for both sides, you only bought an extension for one side?? Tune them out
Old 07-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Launching!

Yep, I had to use extensions on both sides.

Now, from what I'm reading it looks like P0133 bank 1 cylinder 1
is on the DRIVERS side (cylinder 1) not passengers side. Perhaps I
should try replacing the drivers side O2?
Old 07-31-2012, 04:30 PM
Launching!

Anyone know which O2 sensors work with longtube headers/ory? I tried replacing my driver's side O2 to no effect with an sensor from my factory catted y. I've heard that the Corvette rear sensors are the best to use up front?? Still getting P0133
Old 08-07-2012, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Undertow74
Anytime you move the rear 02 sensors farther downstream then they should be they will usually set off the see light. If you extended them out, you should just tune the rear o2's out. This can be done with a handheld, or go to a tuner.
Do you happen to know if the "hypertech" handheld can tune out the rear o2 sensors? I keep getting the codes after i put in my long tubes.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by calgary_z28
Anyone know which O2 sensors work with longtube headers/ory? I tried replacing my driver's side O2 to no effect with an sensor from my factory catted y. I've heard that the Corvette rear sensors are the best to use up front?? Still getting P0133
I too am getting codes for the front O2's, but they are P1133 and P1153 for slow switching. I have done a lot of searching, but have not found a definitive answer. Some claim the Corvette rear O2's (Bosch 13111) fix the problem as they supposedly have higher wattage heaters in them, but others say they still have a CEL after the new O2's are installed. 1 clear benefit of the Corvette rear O2's is that you can get rid of the O2 extentions.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Default Help o2 sensor ????

Ok I went under car my o2 looks like there connected from the rear 02 I have long tubes .also got the car tune,where are the front plugs ?
Old 04-18-2023, 10:25 AM

Default same issue

Originally Posted by z-camaro
I too am getting codes for the front O2's, but they are P1133 and P1153 for slow switching. I have done a lot of searching, but have not found a definitive answer. Some claim the Corvette rear O2's (Bosch 13111) fix the problem as they supposedly have higher wattage heaters in them, but others say they still have a CEL after the new O2's are installed. 1 clear benefit of the Corvette rear O2's is that you can get rid of the O2 extentions.
were you able to correct the problem, im having both sensors insufficient switching, 2008 Trailblazer SS with headers
Old 04-18-2023, 10:27 AM

Default insufficient switching

sorry, this is for z-camaro, need help with same issue, but I have 08 Trailblazer SS with headers, cant pass inspection in New York

Quick Reply: O2 sensor problem after long tube headers and ory