Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 driver side valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Ls1 driver side valve covers

specifically 98 f-body ls1 valve covers
can an oil fill cap or even a neck and cap be theoretically placed in the drivers side Valve cover? room permiting of course? will a oil cap just thread in the valve cover?

I got the LS6 PCV valley cover so ive capped the tube off awhile ago.

reason why i ask is im liiking to have oil returned into my valve cover but the normal fill one is covered by a strut tower bar and i would like to leave it there.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

anyone know anything about this?
Old 09-04-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

room permitting, the neck for sure will go on. I just tried it 2 seconds ago on my take-offs. They are the same covers except driver has a baffle under where the neck would go, and pass has and extra tube for the pcv setup.

I just put my original oil cap away today and now cannot find it. I can test it tomorrow if you just want to run a cap. Or you can pull your cap / neck off the pass cover and just try screwing the cap on since they are the same covers and you will have your last part of your question answered.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:11 AM
TECH Addict

well i would, but my cars on a boat right now so it will be a minute for me to test this lol but was wondering if anyone else has tryed this?

if i do manage to get the fill neck and cap with 10an fitting on it in there,
is the baffle on the drivers side wont restrict the flow coming from the turbo return line would it?
i know its not a huge pressure/volume coming from the scavange pump but i know for long lasting pump and turbo seals, a nice free flowing oil return is a must.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83
well i would, but my cars on a boat right now so it will be a minute for me to test this lol but was wondering if anyone else has tryed this?

if i do manage to get the fill neck and cap with 10an fitting on it in there,
is the baffle on the drivers side wont restrict the flow coming from the turbo return line would it?
i know its not a huge pressure/volume coming from the scavange pump but i know for long lasting pump and turbo seals, a nice free flowing oil return is a must.
The fill neck fits on a driver cover, or if you wanted to run just a cap and no filler, I just confirmed it will fit to.

As for the baffle and restriction, if it does become a problem, the baffle on the inside of the valve cover is held on by 3 mushroomed-over studs. Just grind the tops of the studs off and the restriction will be gone and it will be just like a passenger cover.

When it comes to the turbo info, I don't know much when it comes to that, but your best bet would be to post that question over on the forced induction forum here on tech
Old 09-06-2012, 05:34 AM
TECH Addict

ok cool! ill do just this. now a question, the oil will drain down in the engine the same as the passenger side right?
if the cap just threads in the valve cover without a a neck thats what ill do. i have a cap with a 10an male end on it and will hava a 90degree on that as well.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83
ok cool! ill do just this. now a question, the oil will drain down in the engine the same as the passenger side right?
if the cap just threads in the valve cover without a a neck thats what ill do. i have a cap with a 10an male end on it and will hava a 90degree on that as well.

yes it will. and yes the cap threads into the valve cover without a neck.

If the baffle deal becomes a problem, you know what to do know.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:41 AM
TECH Addict

sweet, thank you!

Quick Reply: Ls1 driver side valve covers