Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car wont crank need help asap plz, need car moved asap

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 09:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

USMC35thSS i really appreciate u not bailing on me on this u have really been a big help in getting these problems solved,

ok for the relearn do all the plugs on the wiring harness need to be plugged in ? and 2 if i do not have a radio in my car will it effect this.

also i was looking some where that said the security light will be on while the car is in relearn mode, and u have to leave the key on for 10 min, then turn it off for 30 seconds, then turn back on. if the security light is still on repeat up to 3 more times ("my security light has not been on since i tried to crank the car")

***i dont know how accurate this information is, just what ive been able to find so far on it

i was thinking on the pcv how it goes to the throttle and the intake, the intake is a constant vacuum, but under higher speeds when the throttle is open it pull more air out of the crankcase, failure in this could cause to much pressure to build up in the crank case or under the valve covers ? ***this is just my guess tho**** which im thinking could have caused my valve cover gasket to pop out when the intake back fired ?

Last edited by devic; 07-15-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Launching!

if any 1 reading threw her knows of any 1 that know how to trigger the relearn, please message them to maybe see if they can help with this
Old 07-15-2012, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

It's not a problem at all. I am just as lost as you at this point haha.

As for the relearn, after reading some more information, it doesn't look like you can do it without the proper scan tool. This is something you will have to have done at the dealership. It looks like it takes about 10 minutes and costs around $50. That's just what I have been reading. I am also under the impression that the car is still driveable with it needing a relearn. Hints the taking it to the dealership to get it done.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:40 PM
Launching!

lol well i just almost had it running, but my battery so drained from days of testing stuff, i think i might need to go exchange it lol.

but so far what i did today is

pulled the rail off with injectors to see if there firing they all look good, 1 has a slight seal leak when not bolted down,

plugged in everything that i deleted (did not reinstall "onlu plugged in the clips")
let key set on for 10 min, and now its almost firing up, it def sounds like it wants to run now
Old 07-15-2012, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Thats good to hear
Old 07-15-2012, 10:12 PM
Launching!

if i spray starter fluid in it, it just turns for a sec then almost fully cranks up the goes back down to a studdering idle then slows and dies

Last edited by devic; 07-16-2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:13 PM
Launching!

im thinking i really need t trigger this relearn some how
Old 07-16-2012, 12:35 AM
Launching!

could a bad idle air sensor or tps cause this ? even know i just bought them maybe there bad ?
Old 07-16-2012, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by devic
could a bad idle air sensor or tps cause this ? even know i just bought them maybe there bad ?
Them being bad will cause poor engine performance but it isn't going to cause 4 of your coils not to fire.

If you don't have an OBD2 scanner you can borrow then you should really go get one. You could probably get a really cheap one for about $30.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:24 PM
Launching!

ima have to wait till Wednesday will out even realizing i quickly have spent quite abit of money on the project lol, but ill prob end up buying 1 if i can find a friends with 1

so i was looking into maybe buy hp tuners ? option opinions
Old 07-16-2012, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

ima have to wait till Wednesday will out even realizing i quickly have spent quite abit of money on the project lol, but ill prob end up buying 1 if i can find a friends with 1

so i was looking into maybe buy hp tuners ? option opinions
I hear that. These things get expensive.

I leave the tuning to the experts. I do have a couple of friends that have hp tuners and they have spent a lot of time trying to perfect using it. There is tons of information on here about tuners and how to use them.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:12 PM
Launching!

im starting to find some people saying that the crank relearn does not effect the car from running it is only to diagnose problem ? but i found a forum where 1 guy said it fixed his car.

do think my nvr ram could have been wiped from setting so many years with out power ?
Old 07-17-2012, 09:43 PM

if car was sitting three years check for- 1. corrosion in fuel lines
2. corrosion on connectors
3. change spark plugs and wires

You also mentioned a fuel injector leak. A leaking fuel injector can create startup problems and should be replaced anyway. Letting a car sit without running or some maitenance for three years can be bad for any car. Good luck, hope you get it running.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

Just like Ronhin said, a lot can happen to a car that has been sitting for that long. I wouldn't waste money on replacing parts. Do what you can to get those codes pulled and hopefully that will point you in a good direction.

Check out this website www.chevythunder.com It has a lot of good reading on just about everything dealing with an LS1.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

The car would still run without having a crank learn..just not well.It can only be initialized by the dealer or someone with tuning software like hp tuners/efi live etc.

Stupid question since I dont own a 4th gen but when I put my ls1 into my thirdgen I think there is fusing for the 2 banks of injectors.I would start with simplistics if you havent already but make sure all fuses are good for ignition and injectors etc.And Ill tell you that visually looking at a fuses does not mean it cant be blown...test them with a meter.Make sure you are getting 12v ignition power at each coil with the key on,then test each one as someone sits in the car and tries to start it up.This will atleast tell you they have power at all times.Then id start diagnosing if the pcm is sending signal to those coils.

You should have more fuel pressure at the rail but 40psi is enough to get it running.. barely.You can do the old trick of building up more pressure by cycling the key on for 2sec,then back off,then on for another 2 secs to keep priming the fuel pump.Charge the battery and disconnect it from the car for 15-20 mins as this will clear some codes and try starting it again.Get yourself a can of electrical connector cleaner and spray the coil pack connectors,as well as main connectors at the pcm.Look for any signs of the harness being chewed..3 yrs untouched makes a nice home for a good mouse. trying to throw out as many ideas I can think of no matter how small.Hope it works out for you without major problems.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Oh I would also measure the voltage of the ground wires bolted to the back of the heads,since they are the shared grounds for pcm and sensors alike.Ive seen these break at the ground ring itself from corrosion.Cant think of anything else right now without more test results :S

Though I too say you need new plugs as well regardless,oil change etc once this is figured out before driving the car around anywhere.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:00 AM
Launching!

most of what u have mentioned i have done / tested

i have a diagram up on the front page of the testing results
Old 07-19-2012, 04:02 AM
Launching!

even if i turn the key on and off the pressure will not get over 40, i just ordered a in tank regulator it will be here in 2 days so ill see if that helps with the fuel pressure then maybe i can get it atleast to stay running, as far as the coils go there getting trigger voltage but not firing well, even when i switched the left back with the right the same cylinders are firing
Old 07-19-2012, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

even if i turn the key on and off the pressure will not get over 40, i just ordered a in tank regulator it will be here in 2 days so ill see if that helps with the fuel pressure then maybe i can get it atleast to stay running, as far as the coils go there getting trigger voltage but not firing well, even when i switched the left back with the right the same cylinders are firing
He might be refering to the 12v power that is supplied to the coil pack. If the coil is grounded, has 12v power supplied to it, and is getting trigger voltage, then you would think that the coil is bad.

I feel like a broken record, but have you taken a known good coil pack and put where a bad one is? I know you might be having some fuel issues, but you DO know that not all of your coils are firing. My car never has more than 43 psi when I prime my car. After it starts running the fuel presssure jumps up.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:29 PM
Launching!

im bout to go out there and take a coil known good off the bracket and switch it with a bad, ill let u guys know the results shortly

Quick Reply: car wont crank need help asap plz, need car moved asap