Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious header heat issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Serious header heat issue

Ok guys im in the middle of installing my ac into my ls1 swapped 240. This is a street car. Here in tx the temps are getting up to 108 outside and i would love to drive my beast around sometimes instead of my integra.

Im running fueled's long tube headers that are ceramic coated. These run very close tucked up to the floor boards. Im getting 300 degrees off the collector using the greenlee laser temp.

inside the cab i had put down the radiant barrier stuff form homedepot. I was not trying to be cheap, just using what a lot of hotrod guys had used on other forums. so price is not really an issue. however. after installing this it did cut down on the heat. but not by much.

when driving around i can still feel hot air around my leg. I pulled the carpet back up and took some temp readings. Im getting avg 130 degrees from the foot floor boards and 115 from the tranny tunnel. It is also to hot to hold my hand on the radiant barrier.

so my question is whats my next plan of attack? i wanna keep the cabin cool for when the ac is done installing.

should i wrap the headers? (i dont drive it in rain) What brand of heat barrier do you guys suggest. I need people to answer with experience. I know of all the different brands there are i want real world exp answers. if it worked great, if you had same problem as me etc etc. i plan to pull up the radiant barrier and install some hardcore heat barrier under it. just wanna know what people have had good luck with.

pointed at collector

Old 07-29-2012, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

also my vbands are not leaking, i can put my hand close to the vbands and not feel any exhaust gases blowing out. when im cruising around and i have my arm hanging out the window i can feel the heat roll up the door onto my arm. Should i wrap my whole exhaust back???

like i said i do not drive it in the rain. so not to worried about getting it wet. if i should wrap the whole exhaust do i use header wrap? or do they make those blankets that come in sections
Old 07-29-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How much room do you have between the header collector and connected exhaust pipes?
Is the heat issue mainly in one area on the floor?
Old 07-30-2012, 12:25 AM
Staging Lane

The main area is both floorboards where your feet go. I'm thinking about just wrapping the collectors and peeling up the radiant barrier and putting down some hardcore barrier under it. I don't have room under the car to make heat shield. They are very close .

It makes my console hot in the center. I just think I need some hardcore heat barrier on the hump and floorboards
Old 07-30-2012, 01:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought non ceramic coated long tubes and I swear that I feel extra heat from my floorboards. I have though about installing some type of heat barrier mat under my floorboards, but then I start to think its all in my mind. I have toyed with the idea of some type of heat barrier like you tried. Not really much help, but I do feel your pain as its been hitting 108 in Arkansas too.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:08 AM
Launching!

same here. but my heat issue hasn't really been as bad though.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:37 AM
TECH Regular

you could look into second skin; they have products specifically created to get temps down using automotive built insulation. not a sponsor but search second skin audio on your favorite search engine . I'd suggest looking at thermal block and heat wave. I've heard great things about thermal block and i've used heat wave with success; not cheap products though.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah a barrier directly on the exhaust would be my first choice, but it sounds like it's not a option. IMO Heatshield Products, has some good products you might want to look at.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

thanks so far guys, price is not really a concern, but if someone has a good bang for the buck suggestion ill check it out. my main concern is getting the heat down. if i touch that radiant barrier my hand burns. i cant even hold it there.

my headers are cermaic coated.. but ya its just the tranny and headers get so hot. Im still debating if just wrapping the collectors will work. might try it out.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So do long tubes really raise the heat in the cab? I don't really have anyway to test it, but I figure that there isn't much between the carpet and the headers. Does the headers heat really soak into the floorpan and raise the heat inside significantly in an f-body? I just don't wanna waste money on something thats in my head. Sorry if I am hijacking, just hate to start a new thread
Old 07-30-2012, 02:46 PM
12 Second Club

don't wrap the headers, just use a heat barrier between them and the body paneling, shielding the heat away from the car is the best bet.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try getting some spray adhesive and aluminum foil,
and stick the foil to the underside of the floorboard
as a radiant heat reflector.

You could also do this but with sheet aluminum,
and stand it off ~ 1/4" (like with a few layers of
double-stick tape, located adequately far from the
pipe of course) and get both reflection and air gap
working for you.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Opening up an old post.

Did you ever find a solution to your heat issue inside the cab? What product did you go with? My 95 Formula with Pacesetters gets extremely hot inside the cab. Like most people I dealt with it over the years, and could not decide if it was just the dark color of the car in the sunlight or something else causing the heat. This summer I did some tests and found that my floorboards get scorching hot from the headers.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had same heat issues so I wrapped my Pacesetters with DEI lava wrap. I also added Eastwoods sound heat barrier to floorboards prior to new carpet. Worked very well.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Heatshield Products has the HP Sticky Shields; Summit Racing has it.
IMO, it's worth taking a look at.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hsp-180020/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hsp-180021/overview/
Old 10-12-2013, 08:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by trik396
I had same heat issues so I wrapped my Pacesetters with DEI lava wrap. I also added Eastwoods sound heat barrier to floorboards prior to new carpet. Worked very well.
Thank you for the feedback! Have you had any issues with the clamps breaking off from the heat, or are the clamps that come with the DEI wrap good?
Old 10-13-2013, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by EXTINCT95
Thank you for the feedback! Have you had any issues with the clamps breaking off from the heat, or are the clamps that come with the DEI wrap good?
Didn't use them. I used SS worm drive clamps. Much stronger.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Just an update after two years. If anyone else runs into a similar problem, I installed the DEI Titanium heat shield:

http://www.jegs.com/p/DEI/DEI-Titani...21795/10002/-1

After two years it has held up very well and has solved my floor board heat issue.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks like a really good solution, much better than wrapping which can damage headers. Nice you posted a follow up too.

Quick Reply: Serious header heat issue