Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my AFR 205 heads, need suggestions on PTV

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got my AFR 205 heads, need suggestions on PTV

Hey guys,

i've just got AFR 205 heads last weekend from another member here, and i'm really excited now. they look good, no sign of abuse at all, here's couple of pics of the heads

Now when i bought the heads, me and the seller didn't know that the heads have been worked on. But when i brought the heads to the machine shop today, we found out that the heads have stamped on them .042 and below it 59cc.

I have Torquer V2 232/234 .595/.598 112lsa cam coupled with PRC 2.5 LS6 heads with stock cc(64cc) in the car right now.

Now to my questions.

* Do you guys think it's worth it to swap over to AFR 205 from PRC 2.5 LS6?
When i compared the flow, the LS6 heads actually flow more on the .600 compared to AFR 205 and the AFR 205 outflow the LS6 betweem .200 - .400 IIRC. The car is my daily driver.

* I am really nervous with P to V clearance issue, since the heads have been milled to 59cc, my original plan was mill the heads to 62cc and use .040 head gaskets to bring the CR up to 11.1-11.3 :1, but i guess now i need to change my game plan. Is there any way to get around potential PTV problem (the heads have been milled to 59cc) and get the CR i'm shooting for?

I guess that's all for now, the heads are in the machine shop now, getting R&R. i will keep you guys updated and any comments or suggestions are much appreciated.

Ray

Last edited by raysadude; 08-13-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe anyone can come up with guesstimate on PTV clearance based on info provided above?
Old 08-13-2012, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a set of AFR 205s milled to 62 or 63cc with an MS3 cam a while back. I had to flycut for the intake valve, but the exhaust valve had plenty of room.

I am not sure how much you will gain with this swap, but I would be very interested to see the results.

I loved my AFR 205s.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm.....CNC ported LS6 heads vs as cast AFRs....I would say IF the AFRs made more HP, it wouldnt be much.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

after further research i think i will be really pushing it if i install the heads with the cam.

which one do you guys think will be wiser, get a new cam or flycut the pistons?

the car is a daily, and as much as i love the torq v2, i really want to use the AFR heads and would like tony mamo to spec me a cam.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
Hmmm.....CNC ported LS6 heads vs as cast AFRs....I would say IF the AFRs made more HP, it wouldnt be much.
afr heads are fully CNC machined. the issue for the OP is that the smaller runner afr's will outflow the ported 243's in the lower range - arguably making for a better daily driver. top end will likely be about the same. this is the reason I went with afr. here is a pic of the cnc work.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:42 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

If you're skiddish of flycutting, then sell the cam and have Tony or PatG spec you a cam that's ideal for :

1) YOUR driving habits
2) YOUR goals
3) and what you ALREADY have

Your Torquer V2 will sell quick in the classifieds. Get the cam that's better suited for these heads.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:35 AM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did you have both heads on the same flow bench?
Old 08-14-2012, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ctd
Did you have both heads on the same flow bench?
no, it's based on their advertised flow.

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
If you're skiddish of flycutting, then sell the cam and have Tony or PatG spec you a cam that's ideal for :

1) YOUR driving habits
2) YOUR goals
3) and what you ALREADY have

Your Torquer V2 will sell quick in the classifieds. Get the cam that's better suited for these heads.
that's most likely what i will do.

my goal is simple get the biggest cam that will fit with the heads without having to flycut.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember too though, we are only blessed with **** 91 octane here.. So you bump your compression up with a 59cc head on a 6.0 motor & dont want to flycut.. That means run a smaller intake duration cam but, that's also going to bump your dynamic compression.. Unless you switch to e85, you will probably be forced to take some timing out of it to keep from knocking.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Why do you want a "big" cam? These heads worked best with smallish cams back in their hayday. Contact Tony Mamo or hope he chimes in. I would order an AFR 224/228 and call it a day. Have amazing throttle response and be a monster down low..
Old 08-14-2012, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mike,

i actually always filled up my car with 93, we have two stations i know of that carry 93, one in western and 63rd and the other one that i usually filled up my gas up on memorial and portland.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mac62989
Why do you want a "big" cam? These heads worked best with smallish cams back in their hayday. Contact Tony Mamo or hope he chimes in. I would order an AFR 224/228 and call it a day. Have amazing throttle response and be a monster down low..
i don't want a "big" cam, as a matter of fact i don't want to change my current cam now.

i'm just weighing my options and which path should i take to gain more power. I bought the AFR 205 heads knowing that they were untouched, now that i found out that they are actually been shaved i need to decide whether to keep the heads and change my cam OR flycut my pistons. i'm not skiddish about flycut the pistons, the thing is this car is my daily and i can't have her down for too long.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by raysadude
Mike,

i actually always filled up my car with 93, we have two stations i know of that carry 93, one in western and 63rd
Oh yeah, I forgot about him.. Does he still keep 105 on tap? I need to move back to the northside, we have no e85 or 93 stations on the southside.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:33 PM
10 Second Club

I am somewhat in the same boat as you are right now. I have the 205's also but mine are not shaved at all, they are as cast. My old set up is in my signature. I had the stock lifters go bad and I decided to go with a larger cam also 233-239-595-603 on a 113. The car had .40 cometic MLS gaskets and I am also worried about the PTV clearance. Do you think I will be ok using the .40's again? or thicker? I also upgraded to the LS7 lifters and a double roller timing chain. Car is still apart and not a daily but not a garage queen either. Sorry not trying to hijack the thread it just sounded like we both have the same questions. Thanks
Old 08-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Banned

Those AFRs will outperform the PRCs all day long. The smaller intake runners will make for better velocity into the cylinders, creating a more "peppy" throttle feel and quick down low and mid range grunt. I had 205s on a previous setup and they were the shiznit. No question AFRs and sell the PRCs. If you really want more top end power and clearance, I would send them to Tony Mamo and have him work his magic with porting and take out some material out of the combustion chambers. By Tony hand porting them, it will get rid of the "ruffle chip" effect in the runners and make it smoother. Even the heads the way they are, better than the PRCs no question. Dont hesitate in putting them on. I think you will have enough PTV clearance with that cam also, but perhaps use a .051 thick head gasket. It wont kill the quench that much IMO.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ Listen to this guy. You can't beat AFR heads. You can't get caught up on the flow numbers. Those can be fudged big time. I have seen over and over again how AFR's advertised flow numbers are less than what they actually flow. Besides, under the curve power and throttle response is where it's at and that is where the AFR's shine. Not to mention they will be better up top, it's a win win situation.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MM98
Oh yeah, I forgot about him.. Does he still keep 105 on tap? I need to move back to the northside, we have no e85 or 93 stations on the southside.
i believe they still have 105 on the one in western and 63rd.

Originally Posted by Swedez28
I am somewhat in the same boat as you are right now. I have the 205's also but mine are not shaved at all, they are as cast. My old set up is in my signature. I had the stock lifters go bad and I decided to go with a larger cam also 233-239-595-603 on a 113. The car had .40 cometic MLS gaskets and I am also worried about the PTV clearance. Do you think I will be ok using the .40's again? or thicker? I also upgraded to the LS7 lifters and a double roller timing chain. Car is still apart and not a daily but not a garage queen either. Sorry not trying to hijack the thread it just sounded like we both have the same questions. Thanks
no worries man, ask away, the more information the better for both of us.

based on my research, even tony himself said that the biggest cam for AFR 205 would be 228 and the wider lsa the better. i haven't spoken with tony about the cam yet since i'm still waiting for the heads to be ready and then decide what to do next.

Originally Posted by TransAmcoupe98
Those AFRs will outperform the PRCs all day long. The smaller intake runners will make for better velocity into the cylinders, creating a more "peppy" throttle feel and quick down low and mid range grunt. I had 205s on a previous setup and they were the shiznit. No question AFRs and sell the PRCs. If you really want more top end power and clearance, I would send them to Tony Mamo and have him work his magic with porting and take out some material out of the combustion chambers. By Tony hand porting them, it will get rid of the "ruffle chip" effect in the runners and make it smoother. Even the heads the way they are, better than the PRCs no question. Dont hesitate in putting them on. I think you will have enough PTV clearance with that cam also, but perhaps use a .051 thick head gasket. It wont kill the quench that much IMO.
maybe you missed the part that the heads have been shaved to 59cc

I'd love to put these heads on, don't get me wrong, i just can't afford to take off my heads now and find out that i can't install the new one because of PTV clearance issue.

that's why i asked earlier is there some kind of formula to measure PTV without actually tear the engine apart, sort of calculating compression ratio with given data

Oh and btw the AFR heads will undergo a superflow test while it's in the machine shop.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by raysadude
i believe they still have 105 on the one in western and 63rd.

no worries man, ask away, the more information the better for both of us.

based on my research, even tony himself said that the biggest cam for AFR 205 would be 228 and the wider lsa the better. i haven't spoken with tony about the cam yet since i'm still waiting for the heads to be ready and then decide what to do next.

maybe you missed the part that the heads have been shaved to 59cc

I'd love to put these heads on, don't get me wrong, i just can't afford to take off my heads now and find out that i can't install the new one because of PTV clearance issue.

that's why i asked earlier is there some kind of formula to measure PTV without actually tear the engine apart, sort of calculating compression ratio with given data

Oh and btw the AFR heads will undergo a superflow test while it's in the machine shop.
No I got it. I didnt say add any material to the cc's but to take some out to give more PTV.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i'll get back to you guys with flow result.

Quick Reply: Got my AFR 205 heads, need suggestions on PTV