Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005-2012 GM LS2/LS7/LS3 Cars Coil-Near-Plug Conn Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkblueTA

Any wire, that has electricity flowing through it will never have zero ohms. This is flat out impossible. It is both physically and mathematically impossible to not have resistance in a circuit, no matter what the circuit is. Hency why I referenced the formula of V = IR. (If you want to solve for resistance, it would V/I=R). The only way to not have ohms in a circuit is to have an open circuit (ie...no electricity flows through it).

The multimeter reads 0.05Ω... anything less than 0.2Ω is typically referred to as zero ohms.

The air in an open circuit gap has about 500-1000 MΩ resistance, this is said to be infinite ohms.

In both cases, solve the equation for I and see what current flows...

in the real world the current flowing is limited by physics of the circuit (fuse blows, wire melts, power source limits, etc...)...

R is a physical attribute of the wire... V and I just follow R according to V=IR, not the other way round.

BTW: electricity is does not flow (the word is not specific enough).

See above post. Next time, turn on the multi-meter and make sure it is in the Ohm (Ω) and keep your fingers away from the leads on the multi-meter.
With all respect, you don't want to teach me how to use an DMM/ohmmeter.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The ferrite ring does not add resistance (no contact with the wire underneath the insulation)...

it may not even add reactance (the wire is not wound around the ring);

it does allow magnetic flux produced by current flowing thru the wire to be tightly concentrated very close to the wire instead of being spread out, this is what reduces EMI.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar
The multimeter reads 0.05Ω... anything less than 0.2Ω is typically referred to as zero ohms.

The air in an open circuit gap has about 500-1000 MΩ resistance, this is said to be infinite ohms.

In both cases, solve the equation for I and see what current flows...

in the real world the current flowing is limited by physics of the circuit (fuse blows, wire melts, power source limits, etc...)...

R is a physical attribute of the wire... V and I just follow R according to V=IR, not the other way round.

BTW: electricity is does not flow (the word is not specific enough).

With all respect, you don't want to teach me how to use an DMM/ohmmeter.
Originally Posted by joecar
The ferrite ring does not add resistance (no contact with the wire underneath the insulation)...

it may not even add reactance (the wire is not wound around the ring);

it does allow magnetic flux produced by current flowing thru the wire to be tightly concentrated very close to the wire instead of being spread out, this is what reduces EMI.
Sooo.. are the Granatelli wires better than the MSD's in the vid? I have MSD's now on the car.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Darkblue, wtf? Did you even watch the videos? He clearly indicates the wires have .01-.02 ohms of resistance, basically 0. He also uses a standard multimeter to measure it, are you trying to say you have to have current going through the wire from another source than the multimeter to read ohms? Because that just isn't the case. If it was, then my car shouldn't have started when I used a multimeter to measure resistance on the resistors I soldered together... The multimeter provides current and voltage, dumbass.

The wires are impressive, but without bendable boots, they will touch primaries on every fbody with long tubes. Which should be every fbody that's not turbo
Old 09-18-2012, 02:48 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
Will you make it so the boot will bend? I have Granatelli wires in a box at home, used for 2 miles because they touched the primaries. I run MSD wires because they bend out of the way...
I understand the question. If the wires don't work for you please call us and/or send a picture to TECH@granatellimotorsports.com

I am sure we have a solution. I know the MSD boots that look like Gumby. You bend them into shape. We don't offer that but we do offer our double flame proof wires in straight, 45^ or 90^ here is a picture

1200 degree fire sleeve - also comes in Yellow

These bad boys are what we do for the NASCAR teams. Fire sleeve over Fire Sleeve

Special pricing on request or call a GMS dealer

Last edited by granatelli sales; 12-14-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:10 PM
FormerVendor

What a bunch of BS.

JR, you should be ashamed.

V= IR V= Voltage, I = Current, R = Resistance...ie...Ohms.

If you don't have any currant or voltage running through the wire, of course resistance (ohms) is going to be zero. Now, hook up your wire and run the test again.

You can fool some of the people some times, but you're not going to fool anyone with a high school level of knowledge on electronics and considering my background in electronics, I'm calling you out.
I think you missed the boat on this one. We used a MSD tester as designed and intended by MSD. All the wires had a measurable ohm drop except for GMS. While I think you are wrong in the way you are trying to dispel our products even if we follow your theory the problem would only get exponentially worse and therefore further show the Granatelli product to be superior. Additionally our patent goes directly to what you are saying. The Granatelli suppression rings DO NOT let the energy radiate out
Old 09-18-2012, 04:32 PM
FormerVendor

Nope, not mad. Just keeping the facts on this tech board. I just find it hilarious the fluff that comes out of his "shop". I don't know you so don't think I “hate" on you. You are probably an employee that doesn't know better and think having a spark plug wire with zero resistance is amazing. I wish it did work like that. JR would be a rich man and man kind would benefit from this find greatly. But JR is not Nikola Tesla.

Any wire that has electricity flowing through it will never have zero ohms. This is flat out impossible. It is both physically and mathematically impossible to not have resistance in a circuit, no matter what the circuit is. Hency why I referenced the formula of V = IR. (If you want to solve for resistance, it would V/I=R). The only way to not have ohms in a circuit is to have an open circuit (ie...no electricity flows through it).

I have seen a bunch of fluff posted by JR already on this site, (just look at the forced induction section, he doesn't even know what a/r housing he uses on "his" turbo kit ) and other sites. Don't worry, sooner or later someone would have called him out on this tech board like the mustang boards he loves so dearly.

Have a good night/weekend.
Wow! – You’re aiming to get me fired. I have been the one answering your questions here and as it related tot eh turbo questions. When I was asked what A/R the turbo kit offered I simply replied what would you like? The reason we don’t normally get into those types of talks is exactly what you are referring to here. That thread was addressed by a fee others that said more or less - it is a no win answer to the question Because some will say it is too small and the turbo will have too much back pressure and others will say it is too big and the turbo won’t spool. – Loose-Loose right? We offer many different turbo configurations in the kit. We always ask before a sale is made, “what is your true goal as to how much RWHP you really want”. And do you have L99 or LS3. If a customer wants 550 rwhp with an auto trans and says something like I will never go over 600, we have PTE build us special turbines that spool the heck of the turbos LIKE RIGHT NOW. But it comes at the cost of the turbos building 20% more back pressure in the system. Said back pressure kills the potential for 1000 rwhp efficiently. Some guys (well most) will never see 1000hp from our kit but they want to know that it is there “just in case” and then there is the other direction. Life begins at 700rwhp and goes from there. In that case we change the A/R again. When I was asked what our A/R was in the other thread I simply asked what was he looking for. Who knew it would open Pandora Box? – Sorry

As for being an employee that “does not know better” that is not the case either. I think I know my job and I don’t try to BS people. I don’t talk about Bernoulli when it comes to airflow or Tesla when it comes to physics, mechanical engineering or electrical engineering. I just talk about the products that are on topic. No disrespect to you either.

J.R. is a mechanical engineer and he pretty much tells us not to bull shyt the customers. I have worked several trade shows and car shows with J.R. and he is very well received and knows is stuff. If he doesn’t he asks and is the first one that wants to learn new things. In 1983, when I first saw him at the salt flats he was changing the starter on his Camaro in the motel parking lot. When I walked by he noticed me and said good morning. I thought nothing of it until a few hours later he pulled up on his cell phone, or should I say ship to shore phone and asked me where he parked to pick up his credentials. When I asked what he was racing he said, “this”. The car he was sitting in. I thought to myself, “dude has no clue” and told him open trials where not until the following day. He said he was there to run over 190 and needed to be tech’d. I just pointed him in the right direction and thought again, just because the speedo says 190 does not mean it will go that fast. That afternoon Gale Banks ran 207 in his twin turbo BBC Firebird and everyone was high 5-ing because they figured he had the class all locked up for gasoline stock body blown engine. The class bank ran limited the motor to 460c.i. Just then I see Granatelli remove the 3 bolts from his exhaust cut out as his brother is yelling something about leaving his girlfriend at the motel. I remember all this because I was working the salt that year and everyone was laughing about Granatelli and his car. He got back in the car and yelled back I will call the motel now. As he pulled a way and tried to make a call from his car, it sounded just like what you would expect from a small block Chevy with no muffler. Then he made his pass 263.11 mph. I think that is the last time I ever thought what a dumb kid. Moral to the story don’t be fooled by what you here or see until you meet the person in person. You won’t find a nicer person who is more willing to help out the next guy. That why I work here now. Nearly 30 years later and he acts like the same kid. I tell you all this to humanize him. A person should not nitpick another and put them down to make themselves look or feel better and that is what is looks like your doing a little. It looks like you are trying to put down Granatelli and or his product without ever meeting the man or testing the product.

We call it 0 ohm wire but like he said we know is measures out at .0-something. If the wire was .99 ohm drop it would be 0.99. Less than an ohm drop and therefore considered 0 ohm

If you are calling out the wire by design and nitpicking that it MUST have some measurable resistance – you are right. But it may as well be 0 (zero)
Old 09-18-2012, 06:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by granatelli sales
Now I feel stupid. I have been replying to a 1 year old thread

oh well
What are you talking about this thread was created less than a month ago?
Old 09-19-2012, 05:25 PM
FormerVendor

wrong thread ^^^
Old 12-14-2012, 04:21 PM
FormerVendor

Sale on all wires for the month of december
call 805-486-6644 or send a pm to get prices to your door

Quick Reply: 2005-2012 GM LS2/LS7/LS3 Cars Coil-Near-Plug Conn Kit