Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbo ls1 leaking oil between motor and tranny!!?! not main seal!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo ls1 leaking oil between motor and tranny!!?! not main seal!

okay i just finished rebuilding my 347 replaced the oil pan gasket and rear main and rear cover gaskets a few months ago well i just got done a few weeks ago ironing out the end of the build and got her running on a base tune. good great awesome well now oil leak between motor in tranny. frustrated but i dropped the tranny and saw oil everywhere on rear cover bolts(all of them) but then i saw oil above the tranny on back of wiring harness so i pulled the intake and found oil around all my intake ports! and my on my pcv system the hose onto the passenger side valve cover was ripped so i replaced that and sent my turbo back to get rebuilt because it was blowing oil thro my inatkewell i knew oil thro my intake was the turbo but i was getting quite a few drops out between motor and tranny but there was also oil on guide pins of tranny and i mean everywhere so while i was at it i replaced the rear main and rear cover gaskets AGAIN what i wonna know is can oil drip from the top in between the tranny and motor??? or do you think i just had more than one issue like leaking rear main and the turbo issue any input would be great trying to get this project finished to drag it before it gets to cold any ideas would help!
also have a electronic solenoid to control pvc so that will take some pressure out of my crankcase
and no signs of leaking between pan and rear cover!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

Did you put some RTV on the rear cover/oil pan corners?
Old 10-03-2012, 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be leaking out of where the OPSU screws into the block. What about the back side of the valley cover? Just some ideas.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a very similar problem. Ended up
Being my oil pressure sending unit.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:06 AM
Staging Lane

checked the opsu and it didnt seem to be leaking but that may be the first place to check if it leaks after i get it back together and running again...and doesnt seem like the vally cover either if it was the opsu would it spray oil rather than drip? and no unfortunatly i didnt rtv the pan/cover corners hopefully it wont leak!!
Old 10-06-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have seen bad pcv systems not working right and causing the knock sensor grommets to leak. When pressure increases at wot the oil spills out the knock sensors. It will get everywhere.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:23 PM
Staging Lane

ddint look like it was coming from there i just had the intake off but ill see if my work fixed it if not ill prolly check the opsu o ring or something im waiting for my turbo to come back to start it up hopefully tomo wish me luck
Old 10-22-2012, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

no more oil leak!!! cars back on the road again, but im wondering something....my oil pressure seems low its like reading 20 psi at idle? just seems low to me its a fully forged ls1 with a slp heavy duty oil pump any ideas why its low or if tht seems to low
Old 10-22-2012, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably broke your opsu
Old 10-22-2012, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

So where was it leaking from?
Old 10-24-2012, 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

yeah i need to check my opsu bcz oil pressure seems really low sometimes and sometimes its normal checking that tonight

Quick Reply: turbo ls1 leaking oil between motor and tranny!!?! not main seal!