Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SSRA vs Chris1313

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 07:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Okay cool, so no issues with the hood latch then. I just saw the SSRS JAWS, and i'm not sure about that thing...it looks like it's almost scraping the ground at higher speeds lol.

Mikh338, so just to be 100% sure you are saying there is no difference at all between the two when it comes to blocking the radiator...they are basically the same design and fit the same way then?
yeah they both maintain a gap in between the ram air box and radiator so it doesnt cause heating issues
Old 01-18-2013, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mikh338
yeah they both maintain a gap in between the ram air box and radiator so it doesnt cause heating issues
Okay cool, thanks man! That was my main concern

Dr whigham, are you saying that by cutting part of the hood latch for the Chris1313 that you create a completely sealed off system, whereas the hole for the SSRA does not? If so, I see what you are saying and it makes sense. I wonder if there would be a simple and easy way to rig up some kind of seal for the SSRA. Has anyone tried that, or would that not be so practical?
Old 01-18-2013, 08:24 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I guess you could with some caulk or something, but ghetto do we want to get? There's also going to be the V assembly you would normally remove directly in the middle as well. I HIGHLY doubt your engine demands that restriction not be there though. I really wouldnt call it a restriction, as you're still scooping up cold air from down low.

The difference between the two is really squeezing blood from a turnip, but some of us put solid motor mounts in a street car too, so....
Old 01-18-2013, 08:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I guess you could with some caulk or something, but ghetto do we want to get? There's also going to be the V assembly you would normally remove directly in the middle as well. I HIGHLY doubt your engine demands that restriction not be there though. I really wouldnt call it a restriction, as you're still scooping up cold air from down low.

The difference between the two is really squeezing blood from a turnip, but some of us put solid motor mounts in a street car too, so....
What is the V assembly? Remember i'm sort of new to the LS world lol
Old 01-18-2013, 09:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm saying that cutting the v out had no effect on anything. required for chrs1313
Old 01-18-2013, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by s346k
I'm saying that cutting the v out had no effect on anything. required for chrs1313
Okay but what exactly is the "V" that you guys refer to? And it is not required with the SSRA, but is with the Chris1313? Remember I am only looking at buying one that allows me to retain my AC. Not sure if that matters, but thought i'd throw that in there in case
Old 01-18-2013, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

Okay but what exactly is the "V" that you guys refer to? And it is not required with the SSRA, but is with the Chris1313? Remember I am only looking at buying one that allows me to retain my AC. Not sure if that matters, but thought i'd throw that in there in case
its part of the latch assembly. here is the link for the chris1313. click on the link that has the install instructions for the a\c version. its the very first pic and it tells you exactly what to do.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mikh338
its part of the latch assembly. here is the link for the chris1313. click on the link that has the install instructions for the a\c version. its the very first pic and it tells you exactly what to do.
No link posted man, but I know what you are referring to now..thanks!

Also do you or anyone else know if the SSRA angles out a little further from the radiator than the Chris1313? I read a post earlier that basically says it does
Old 01-18-2013, 12:29 PM
11 Second Club

i am good buds with 1313. we have 2 other local cars that drive alot with the 1313 a/c ram air ..... no water problem and no heat soak problems with the 100 deg plus days with a/c on.... hood support isnot aproblem. easy to cut and no flex problems as said. i like the 1313 due to its sealed and looks cleaner under the hood and its black so it wont stand out on a nice clean engine bay street car. oh and it works. most cars see a 1 to 2 mph gain..... mine picked up 3 on my cam only setup with bigger maf.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98blueSScamaro
i am good buds with 1313. we have 2 other local cars that drive alot with the 1313 a/c ram air ..... no water problem and no heat soak problems with the 100 deg plus days with a/c on.... hood support isnot aproblem. easy to cut and no flex problems as said. i like the 1313 due to its sealed and looks cleaner under the hood and its black so it wont stand out on a nice clean engine bay street car. oh and it works. most cars see a 1 to 2 mph gain..... mine picked up 3 on my cam only setup with bigger maf.
So the Chris1313 looks a little cleaner in the engine bay that the SSRA? Now I have one more question...what is the real advantage of having a proper seal around the hood latch if the lid or air box is completely sealed anyways? Know what I mean? I mean the SS hood has a functional scoop that lets air into the engine bay, but no one talks about blocking that off. Maybe i'm completely off here (please feel free to correct me if I am) but since the air is drawn up from the ground into a sealed tube, and then directly into the air filter with a totally sealed box, wouldn't it not really matter if a little air was to get past the hood latch area?
Old 01-18-2013, 02:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Gotcha! So why would the Chris1313 make more power then?
Because you remove the restriction (hood latch) in the air path. It may not be much of a difference, but theoretically it would perform slightly better.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:51 PM
11 Second Club

So the Chris1313 looks a little cleaner in the engine bay that the SSRA? Now I have one more question...what is the real advantage of having a proper seal around the hood latch if the lid or air box is completely sealed anyways? Know what I mean? I mean the SS hood has a functional scoop that lets air into the engine bay, but no one talks about blocking that off. Maybe i'm completely off here (please feel free to correct me if I am) but since the air is drawn up from the ground into a sealed tube, and then directly into the air filter with a totally sealed box, wouldn't it not really matter if a little air was to get past the hood latch area?
the ss hood ram air is junk..... sealing off the air box putsit under psi at higher speeds that maens all the air it is taking in it is using and its cooler air. thus its able to feed the motor faster. andi always likethe 1313 do to the smooth flow of it. and it looks clean
Old 01-18-2013, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Okay maybe i'm not not understanding this 100% correctly, or maybe i'm not asking my question the right way....i'm new to LS motors so please be patient with me lol. What I am specifically trying to find out here is why is it important to have the area around the hood latch totally sealed when the air box itself is already going to be totally sealed anyways...thus not not being able to receive any outside air other than the air that enters the scoop at the bottom of the car? Does that make any better sense? Here is my line of thinking (and I could be way off so please let me know lol) air enters the scoop, travels through the filter, the bellow, mass air, throttle body, intake, then into the motor. From the moment the air enters the scoop, and then finally enters into the motor itself, isn't it pretty much all sealed anyways once the air box is sealed up good? Thus not being disrupted by any other air that may enter under the hood?
Old 01-18-2013, 04:54 PM
11 Second Club

Okay maybe i'm not not understanding this 100% correctly, or maybe i'm not asking my question the right way....i'm new to LS motors so please be patient with me lol. What I am specifically trying to find out here is why is it important to have the area around the hood latch totally sealed when the air box itself is already going to be totally sealed anyways...thus not not being able to receive any outside air other than the air that enters the scoop at the bottom of the car? Does that make any better sense? Here is my line of thinking (and I could be way off so please let me know lol) air enters the scoop, travels through the filter, the bellow, mass air, throttle body, intake, then into the motor. From the moment the air enters the scoop, and then finally enters into the motor itself, isn't it pretty much all sealed anyways once the air box is sealed up good? Thus not being disrupted by any other air that may enter under the hood?
okay i get u. what they mean by hood latch they mean the slot at the front lower air box. it needs to be filled and sealed. same with the hole lower airbox.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98blueSScamaro
okay i get u. what they mean by hood latch they mean the slot at the front lower air box. it needs to be filled and sealed. same with the hole lower airbox.
Gotcha! Okay thank you for clarifying..now I get why they do it lol.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

youll be happy with the chris1313..its def a mod youll feel on the butt dyno..now a friend of mine had to remove his..he is a bracket racer and his car ended being too fast with it on
Old 01-18-2013, 07:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by john563
youll be happy with the chris1313..its def a mod youll feel on the butt dyno..now a friend of mine had to remove his..he is a bracket racer and his car ended being too fast with it on
lol the only time you get mad for a mod being to good...
Old 01-19-2013, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Lol yeah the faster the better for me Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 01-19-2013, 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

what setup did you choose?
Old 01-20-2013, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Haven't made a choice just yet, but I think I have all the info I need now to make the best informed decision possible. It really boils down to this for me... I really like how the Chris1313 seals everything up, but I also don't like the idea of cutting my hood latch...no matter how safe anyone says it is.

Actually, I do have one more question for you guys....if I decide to take the Chris1313 off for whatever reason, will having my hood latch cut be a problem in any way at all? That may sound like a stupid question, but I have to ask anyways lol

Quick Reply: SSRA vs Chris1313