Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SSRA vs Chris1313

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 11:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Heres the gap at the bottom that has been mentioned. I read my temps from the PCM and I can tell you for a fact if that gap was blocked off it would not help the cooling efficiency of the system. You can also see the bottom of the hood bracket.

See where the duct goes around the hood bracket? Thats the hole that your worried about. Its nothing to worry about.

This is the inside of the duct. You can see the hood bracket and small hole. Really not a big deal.

Heres your hood mechanism OP. Notice how its all bolted together to the bumper support/bumper cover? Once you cut the bottom of your hood bracket then the hood mechanism is now relying more on the other things its bolted to. I didnt want to hack the cars hood bracket first of all. Then if it would possibly contribute to making my bumper cover sag? I just didnt want to chance it.

Heres another of the brackets. You can also see the nice blockoff that it comes with.

Nice angle...

Bottom...

Extended duct is a very functional scoop.

Inside my airbox...

Ok im done you guys have fun. This topic gives me headaches
Old 01-21-2013, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
If you're real cheap youll get it off ebay lol. look up ssra and its the same thing just the guy who makes it sells it and its like $8 cheaper or something i forget.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thise are some great pics that were just posted and yes i keep reading and this is giving me a headsche now also lol
Old 01-21-2013, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Heres the gap at the bottom that has been mentioned. I read my temps from the PCM and I can tell you for a fact if that gap was blocked off it would not help the cooling efficiency of the system. You can also see the bottom of the hood bracket.

See where the duct goes around the hood bracket? Thats the hole that your worried about. Its nothing to worry about.

This is the inside of the duct. You can see the hood bracket and small hole. Really not a big deal.

Heres your hood mechanism OP. Notice how its all bolted together to the bumper support/bumper cover? Once you cut the bottom of your hood bracket then the hood mechanism is now relying more on the other things its bolted to. I didnt want to hack the cars hood bracket first of all. Then if it would possibly contribute to making my bumper cover sag? I just didnt want to chance it.

Heres another of the brackets. You can also see the nice blockoff that it comes with.

Nice angle...

Bottom...

Extended duct is a very functional scoop.

Inside my airbox...

Ok im done you guys have fun. This topic gives me headaches

Now I can see this hood latch area, and what everyone is talking about as to how it pertains to the kit. Thank you for posting this man! That is the first set of pics that i've seen yet that clearly shows it in detail. Now I just have to make a decision lol
Old 01-24-2013, 09:46 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This thread has been quite humorous to watch unfold. As someone who likes to deduce things down to basics when making a decision:

Don't want to hack up your car? Go with the SSRA

Splitting hairs? Go with the chris1313

FWIW, I chose the SSRA.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm....got a few questions,

so this eliminates the use of the so called WS6 airbox?
is the one pictured above with the block-off strips....is that ws6 box? i cant tell.

does the car need to be tuned for the added air? or can this just be put on and forget about a re-tune?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:15 AM
11 Second Club

If it took you this long to pick a ram air how long did it take you to pick your heads, cam, ect. lol. J/K I take a lot of time researching parts as well.

Anyway I've had no complaints with my chrs1313 A/C version and if I had to do it all over again I'd probably go the same route.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:38 PM
12 Second Club

Do any of you guys that run with either ram air brands w A/C also have a trans cooler installed? It doesn't look like enough room for anything
Old 02-04-2013, 10:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Spizmo
Do any of you guys that run with either ram air brands w A/C also have a trans cooler installed? It doesn't look like enough room for anything
I run one "dope style".
Old 02-09-2013, 11:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Spizmo
Old 02-10-2013, 08:04 AM
Teching In

Trying to figure out which scoop hangs lower and actually scoops up more air from the bottom?
Old 02-23-2013, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

i received and install my SSRA....and i was scared i would tear the sucker up on curbs....but let me tell ya...you would have to bump a parking curb with ur tires and it must be a high curb to even come close to hitting the sucker. SO im a happy camper.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by stroked383HSR
i received and install my SSRA....and i was scared i would tear the sucker up on curbs....but let me tell ya...you would have to bump a parking curb with ur tires and it must be a high curb to even come close to hitting the sucker. SO im a happy camper.
So overall you are happy with it? Did it make a difference that you could tell? I just got mine a week ago, and will throw it on soon when the car comes out of storage.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

i havent even drove the car. Im waiting on my fliter to dry. I hit the road again tomorrow for work.
I'll have a hard time telling a difference cause ive gone from under 300whp to 430whp in the last month or so. Hell im still scared of the new found power! LOL!!!

I sealed the crap out of the top with air condition foam for Lowes....didnt even use the piece of rubber that came with the kit. Took about 10 mins to install. U gotta push pretty hard on your AC condenser to get it in there but after the corners get in....its slides right down.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by stroked383HSR
i havent even drove the car. Im waiting on my fliter to dry. I hit the road again tomorrow for work.
I'll have a hard time telling a difference cause ive gone from under 300whp to 430whp in the last month or so. Hell im still scared of the new found power! LOL!!!

I sealed the crap out of the top with air condition foam for Lowes....didnt even use the piece of rubber that came with the kit. Took about 10 mins to install. U gotta push pretty hard on your AC condenser to get it in there but after the corners get in....its slides right down.
Gotcha! Yeah after a 130hp increase a 10 hp jump might not be too noticeable lol
Old 02-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im in the same shoes as OP. The only thing turning me off from the SSRA is how it visible from the front.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by adamantium
Im in the same shoes as OP. The only thing turning me off from the SSRA is how it visible from the front.
Yeah I don't particularly like that either, but it appears that it blends in pretty well with the rest of the car, and really isn't visible unless you are down lower or really looking for it
Old 02-24-2013, 04:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love my SSRA
Old 02-24-2013, 04:26 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Yeah I don't particularly like that either, but it appears that it blends in pretty well with the rest of the car, and really isn't visible unless you are down lower or really looking for it
Hmm it is a tough one, i also don't like how the SSRA isn't a sealed 2 piece together deal like the chrs1313 version is one piece piece with no other places for air to escape except into the lid. Im curious to see what you go with. Its really a tough decision.

The SSRA is cheaper, more practical aswell, lighter (i assume)

But the chrs1313 seems to have a bigger opening down low, its more expensive aswell.

The hood latch isn't a big issue for me because there seems to be enough people running the chrs1313 version without any hood latch issues.

Truly is a hard one, im subscibed though. Wish i had a camaro, i would've done the sux2bu "style" ram air hands down.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess I got lucky already owning a black camaro. You cannot see the SSRA unless your staring at that specific spot.

Quick Reply: SSRA vs Chris1313