Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SSRA vs Chris1313

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Haven't made a choice just yet, but I think I have all the info I need now to make the best informed decision possible. It really boils down to this for me... I really like how the Chris1313 seals everything up, but I also don't like the idea of cutting my hood latch...no matter how safe anyone says it is.

Actually, I do have one more question for you guys....if I decide to take the Chris1313 off for whatever reason, will having my hood latch cut be a problem in any way at all? That may sound like a stupid question, but I have to ask anyways lol
no it wont, i believe that little "V" you cut out is just for more strength but no1 has ever had an issue with it being removed that i have read and ive read too many of these posts on the chris1313 lol. i will be buying one very soon just waiting for the tax return sales to see if i can get it cheaper
Old 01-20-2013, 01:01 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

It won't be any issue at all, and you won't miss it.

I predominately drive on the interstate, 75+ miles an hour and at least 200 miles each way.... which doesn't mean much anyways. Look at your hood latch on the car. It's bolted in place to the front bumper support. The V lloking piece was to satisfy some federal safety ****.

I mean this when I say it... "It's not needed, and you won't miss it."

I wish I had a pic of what I cut and where. It's nothing once you take it out.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

[QUOTE=dr_whigham;17075532]The V lloking piece was to satisfy some federal safety ****.

lol @ that
Old 01-20-2013, 02:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Okay well that's really good to know then! So both are just as easy to install correct?
Old 01-20-2013, 02:21 PM
11 Second Club

I have a 98 ws6 ram air would these kits work with the ram air hood are is it better to leave it alone? I know the ss has a different hood settup.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sabersaw30
I have a 98 ws6 ram air would these kits work with the ram air hood are is it better to leave it alone? I know the ss has a different hood settup.

I am almost positive that they will work with your ride
Old 01-20-2013, 02:41 PM
The Scammer Hammer

With either kit, it's best to block off the section between the bumper support and the top of the airbox. The 1313 comes with the thick foam weatherstripping to do so, as it's part of the kit. The only air you want coming in is from the bottom.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
With either kit, it's best to block off the section between the bumper support and the top of the airbox. The 1313 comes with the thick foam weatherstripping to do so, as it's part of the kit. The only air you want coming in is from the bottom.
Does the SSRA not come with that?
Old 01-20-2013, 03:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SSRA comes with the weatherstripping.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DeLaRosa25
SSRA comes with the weatherstripping.
Cool thank you!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:29 PM
Teching In

I actually debated about this for a long time. In the end I chose the ssra.
Reasons I did was...

I liked the plastic vs the metal. Its better made imo. I just dont like the look of rivets. The ssra is joined together very smooth. I have seen a couple used 1313s up for sale in the FS section and they looked like a wrinkled soda can with dimples. I just didnt like it.
Plus metal will heat soak more than the plastic will.
The ssra actaully leaves a gap on the bottom where air can go up to the radiator. The 1313 does not have this gap. It is screwed down blocking where the gap would be with the ssra. I like to get the most airflow for cooling as possible so thats another reason I chose ssra.
Cutting the hood latch? No thanks. While some will say it makes no difference I would have to say it will over time. Once you cut one side then it is free to bend. So I didnt want the hassle of it. I want a cai kit, not to hack up my car.
I think the biggest reason I chose ssra was the fact that it is an actual scoop. the duct extends longer to the front of the car. Its actually flush to the on coming air which allows the scoop to get all the air it can.

I chose the ssra because I just see it as the most functional and better made cold air induction systems out there. Thanks for reading and good luck with your choice
Old 01-20-2013, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

best vendor/place to find a ssra?
Old 01-21-2013, 06:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lsxcamaroz
I actually debated about this for a long time. In the end I chose the ssra.
Reasons I did was...

I liked the plastic vs the metal. Its better made imo. I just dont like the look of rivets. The ssra is joined together very smooth. I have seen a couple used 1313s up for sale in the FS section and they looked like a wrinkled soda can with dimples. I just didnt like it.
Plus metal will heat soak more than the plastic will.
The ssra actaully leaves a gap on the bottom where air can go up to the radiator. The 1313 does not have this gap. It is screwed down blocking where the gap would be with the ssra. I like to get the most airflow for cooling as possible so thats another reason I chose ssra.
Cutting the hood latch? No thanks. While some will say it makes no difference I would have to say it will over time. Once you cut one side then it is free to bend. So I didnt want the hassle of it. I want a cai kit, not to hack up my car.
I think the biggest reason I chose ssra was the fact that it is an actual scoop. the duct extends longer to the front of the car. Its actually flush to the on coming air which allows the scoop to get all the air it can.

I chose the ssra because I just see it as the most functional and better made cold air induction systems out there. Thanks for reading and good luck with your choice
I was not aware the SSRA was the only one that had the gap at the bottom of the radiator. Thank you for pointing that out! Did you do the AC or non AC kit? Any cooling issues whatsoever? Also, how durable is the plastic on this kit? Is it brittle like, or more flexible and durable like? Did it help a little in terms of performance? Sorry for all the questions, but like you I want to make the best informed decision possible.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GiggleJuiced_SS
best vendor/place to find a ssra?
This is the cheapest i've found

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...cars-with-a-c/
Old 01-21-2013, 07:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heatsoak? really?

I think this is another hairsplitter like the lid debate. the 1313 piece I got was well made, no dimples etc. I'm guessing the used ones got dimpled on install, mine fit very tight in the lower airbox assy. it comes with weatherstripping as well.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

This is still going on? Wow?!
Yea op ssra comes with weaherstripping and yes there is a nice gap at the bottom.
The plastic is VERY sturdy. I have owned the old design and the new one. The old one was good but the new one is MUCH better. It also has a nice shiny smooth black look.
WS6store is the best place to get it.
Wow, I would have to say I got mine for all the same reasons as lsxcamaroz did.
OP Ill try and get you some pics.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:29 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Yeah I'm gonna have to throw my 2 cents in as well. In response to lsxcamaroz in particular:

You saw 2 USED kits. There probably wasn't much care taken in removal. I can tell you I've had mine for over a year, and even hit what I call a "Gator Tail". You know, that ******* chunk of tractor trailer tire from a shoddy re-tread job?

Bent it a bit, and folded my lower shoop portion damn near closed. A half hour with a few pairs of channel locks and a hammer and she looks good as new. What if it was plastic?

I'm a H/C/I car running 11.7 compression. I live in SOUTH Louisiana where in the summer time it's not uncommon for the temps to get below 100* for a few months on end. We also live damn near year round with 100% humidity. Hell, it's shorts and t-shirt now as we speak. I absolutely SCOFF at the comments made about the gap for air circulation for the radiator. I've NEVER had a heat issue since I've had it. There's plenty of room for air. I also still have a stock 186* thermostat.

Heat soak? Again, seriously?

Final note-- If you've ever seen just how ridiculously HUGE looking the scoop is on the bottom of the 1313, you'd laugh at your statement. When you put the lower section on, it's like putting your hand out the car at 70mph. The air has NO CHOICE in the matter but to go up into your airbox. That's why it's common to see guys on the track complaining of blowing out the weatherstripping used to seal the front of the lower air box.

Rant over. I just want both sides expressed. Both are good options OP. Either one is better than none. But that synopsis up there is comical at best.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

That is a good point about being able to "reshape" the metal if it gets hit. I was told the SSRA is made of ABS plastic. Can anyone confirm that? Having worked in the plastics industry I do know that ABS is usually a lighter, less flexible, and more brittle type plastic in general. A polypropeline base or something would be more suitable from what I remember. Senical, if you have some pics that would be great man!

To be completely honest, after all this research and stuff, it really does seem that either one will be a great mod for the money. I mean where else can you pick up this kind of basic bolt on performance at $200 or less at this point in the game. It's kind of like when I sent my TB to Shaner for porting... there were a few others doing it as well, and all were getting good feedback, but at the end of the day they probably all performed pretty much the same lol
Old 01-21-2013, 10:09 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Yeah I'm gonna have to throw my 2 cents in as well. In response to lsxcamaroz in particular:

You saw 2 USED kits. There probably wasn't much care taken in removal. I can tell you I've had mine for over a year, and even hit what I call a "Gator Tail". You know, that ******* chunk of tractor trailer tire from a shoddy re-tread job?

Bent it a bit, and folded my lower shoop portion damn near closed. A half hour with a few pairs of channel locks and a hammer and she looks good as new. What if it was plastic?

I'm a H/C/I car running 11.7 compression. I live in SOUTH Louisiana where in the summer time it's not uncommon for the temps to get below 100* for a few months on end. We also live damn near year round with 100% humidity. Hell, it's shorts and t-shirt now as we speak. I absolutely SCOFF at the comments made about the gap for air circulation for the radiator. I've NEVER had a heat issue since I've had it. There's plenty of room for air. I also still have a stock 186* thermostat.

Heat soak? Again, seriously?

Final note-- If you've ever seen just how ridiculously HUGE looking the scoop is on the bottom of the 1313, you'd laugh at your statement. When you put the lower section on, it's like putting your hand out the car at 70mph. The air has NO CHOICE in the matter but to go up into your airbox. That's why it's common to see guys on the track complaining of blowing out the weatherstripping used to seal the front of the lower air box.

Rant over. I just want both sides expressed. Both are good options OP. Either one is better than none. But that synopsis up there is comical at best.

Lets see the 1313 lived this crash http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj3jv...ature=youtu.be and it lived a 2nd one like this that also bent the front frame rails 1 inch up!!!!!!! oh and yeah it works as you can tell by the time the car ran haha.Some people just dont get it glad you do
Old 01-21-2013, 10:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
That is a good point about being able to "reshape" the metal if it gets hit. I was told the SSRA is made of ABS plastic. Can anyone confirm that? Having worked in the plastics industry I do know that ABS is usually a lighter, less flexible, and more brittle type plastic in general. A polypropeline base or something would be more suitable from what I remember. Senical, if you have some pics that would be great man!

To be completely honest, after all this research and stuff, it really does seem that either one will be a great mod for the money. I mean where else can you pick up this kind of basic bolt on performance at $200 or less at this point in the game. It's kind of like when I sent my TB to Shaner for porting... there were a few others doing it as well, and all were getting good feedback, but at the end of the day they probably all performed pretty much the same lol
I have some pics coming up soon. Its 20f outside here and a PITA if you know what im sayin. Trust me I wanna post these pics then GTFO of this debate because it gives me a headache

Quick Reply: SSRA vs Chris1313