Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best flowing manifold Y pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best flowing manifold Y pipe

I know there's not a lot to gain here, but I'm looking to buy a better flowing manifold Y pipe, the stock one looks too inefficient.
Mine's a FireHawk so I've got a good cat back now. Been looking around vendors here but don't see much available for manifolds and the ones I've seen have no cats.
I will be getting a tune since I've recently added a LS6 intake, but I think I'd like to keep the cats.
Appreciate any info I can get here. I'm in Canada so vendor has to ship here.

Thanks
Old 01-17-2013, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your better off buying a set of headers and a y pipe to match. Putting a higher flow y pipe on your stock manifolds is a waste of money. And I think SLP is the only company that makes a Y pipe that fits the manifolds and that's only if it's a 01-02 car if I'm not mistaken. Just keep your current catback especially if it's the SLP dual/dual. They flow really well and sound good with headers. Keep in mind you can always add a cutout later on. If your in a place where you need emissions and such just get your self a nice set of headers that have EGR and AIR hook ups and a catted y pipe. Your budget and wants will heavily depend on what to get. I will suggest running Kooks headers and Y pipe and Maryland Speed (Sponsor of this site) is who you need to call for the best deal. But like I said, it all depends on what you are truely wanting and can afford.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

It isn't worth it, but ws6store.com sells some that fit the stock setup.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
It isn't worth it, but ws6store.com sells some that fit the stock setup.
The ws6store don't seem to be interested in shipping to Canada.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Have a custom one made using a flowmaster merge?
Old 01-18-2013, 02:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 94'BLKBRD
Have a custom one made using a flowmaster merge?
This, cut all of my rasp...
Old 01-18-2013, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any emissions test in Canada? if not then go long tubes and Y pipe and never look back..ive argues so much about keeping stock manifolds and ended up getting long tubes. i also wouldnt tune over just an LS6 intake. wait for your exhaust at least.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:45 AM
Teching In

In New Brunswick where I am, a car will not pass annual inspection without cats, nor will it pass with a check engine light on.

I've read so many stories about headers hitting cross members, having to go to poly or solid motor mounts, fitment and ground clearance issues, that it's simply scared me away.

It was a long time ago but I had a '70 Z-28 with headers and they created tremendous heat inside the car and under the floor.

I have no interest in a loud exhaust, people compliment me now on how nice it sounds, but I am interested in a little more power.

There's no chance that I will cut, grind or bend anything on my car, I simply value it too much in it's current form.

Those are the reasons why i'm looking for a better flowing catted manifold Y pipe.

It appears that both Stainless Works and Magnaflow make them (possibly more), just looking to source the best one available, then find a vendor that will ship to Canada. As long as it's made in the US, there's no issue at all, I have to pay the Canadian Goods and Services Tax, either the vendor bills it or I pay it at my end.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

Been there, waste of money. Only real gain is with headers or sometimes a cut out could give 5 or 6 ponies.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the slp one on when I took delivery of the car in 01...I felt like there was a small sotp difference. It hangs about as low as LTs. If you want it is yours for the price of shipping.

If you go lts there are many that fit with no mods, but if you dont do mounts they can bang.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99Hawk521
In New Brunswick where I am, a car will not pass annual inspection without cats, nor will it pass with a check engine light on.

I've read so many stories about headers hitting cross members, having to go to poly or solid motor mounts, fitment and ground clearance issues, that it's simply scared me away.

It was a long time ago but I had a '70 Z-28 with headers and they created tremendous heat inside the car and under the floor.

I have no interest in a loud exhaust, people compliment me now on how nice it sounds, but I am interested in a little more power.

There's no chance that I will cut, grind or bend anything on my car, I simply value it too much in it's current form.

Those are the reasons why i'm looking for a better flowing catted manifold Y pipe.

It appears that both Stainless Works and Magnaflow make them (possibly more), just looking to source the best one available, then find a vendor that will ship to Canada. As long as it's made in the US, there's no issue at all, I have to pay the Canadian Goods and Services Tax, either the vendor bills it or I pay it at my end.

I understand your situation, as most of the naysayers pushing longtubes/no catcons NEVER have had to go through a VISUAL inspection at the station, or a spot check on the road, and NEVER will.

I want to do the same as you, as soon as I can find a set of FULL 304 stainless shorties (right now they are ONLY made for C5s/6es).

My car sits lower (NOT "slammed", but functionally/properly lowered for handling/road racing/a-x), so EVEN IF I wanted to/could use a nice set of Kooks, or AR longtubes, the humungo y-pipe needed for them to do their stuff would not last too long in daily use/speed bumps/driveways/etc., and would jackhammer against the unibody so badly on lousy roads if 'tucked up' to gain ground clearance, that they would probably set off the knock sensors, pull timing, and kill whatever power they made on the hamster wheel anyway.

Even if the shorties would not give me ONE extra pony, at least they weigh less than the stocker boat anchors, and that's coming off of the front end.

You could consider the Borla, ALL 304 austenitic stainless steel y-pipe (unlike the SLP, which is 409 grade), which bolts right up to the stock, or direct replacement aftermarket catcons.
This is what I have, and could not be happier with it despite it only being 2.5" on each side into a decent flowing 3" collector.

NO problems with ground clearance/scraping, NO rust, or discoloration, NO leaks, and lighter than the stocker, or SLP.

Last edited by dailydriver; 01-22-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Why not just modify the stock y-pipe?
On the 99 the passenger pipe before the cat is double walled, so it's restrictive. I'd replace it with a stainless steel mandrel bend and also the Y-merger with one like the Vibrant makes. BTW the driver side oval pip isn't restrictive. As far as cats get a pair of Magnaflow #59956 spun cats..
Old 01-23-2013, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Why not just modify the stock y-pipe?
On the 99 the passenger pipe before the cat is double walled, so it's restrictive. I'd replace it with a stainless steel mandrel bend and also the Y-merger with one like the Vibrant makes. BTW the driver side oval pip isn't restrictive. As far as cats get a pair of Magnaflow #59956 spun cats..

For the price just get some BBK headers, they slide right in with no non-sense and will show much better gains. Probably cheaper than all this, too.

Do I dare say you could probably do BBK headers without poly motor mounts? My guess is you could....
Old 01-23-2013, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

bassidi (sp?) made a bolt in Ypipe. with and without cats. I had one but never installed it. if you want something nice to bolt on. it was all stainless

I looked into replacing the flat part section, I forgot the details but it got bigger so didn't think it was that bad. But I would do the Y pipe joint, the stock catback is somthing like 2 3/4 or 2 7/8s with the outside step, So check that if you want to work with it and keep the slip fit/clamp there. You could do the whole thing for cheap just get 2 of the 180* U bends, I dont think you really need any strait tubing, you can use the stairt off the legs on the U bends. Might need a foot or somthing. But U bends are like $20 each. make the Y if you good with a cutoff wheel to section down the bends so they fit nice. or vibrant makes great Ys, I cant think of the other places. race parts solutions??? and there SDPS (non scrogging' but similar name)

EDIT--
http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...Path=1022_1298
http://www.spdexhaust.com/CollectorsB.html

I did remove the cats (for the $200 or whatever in 2004? they were getting $$$ for) just to get mods. lol I think the tubing was 2 1/4? Just cut the stock flanges off (past the 02 on the one side to keep it) and weld off that.

Last edited by studderin; 01-23-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by studderin
bassidi (sp?) made a bolt in Ypipe. with and without cats. I had one but never installed it. if you want something nice to bolt on. it was all stainless

I looked into replacing the flat part section, I forgot the details but it got bigger so didn't think it was that bad. But I would do the Y pipe joint, the stock catback is somthing like 2 3/4 or 2 7/8s with the outside step, So check that if you want to work with it and keep the slip fit/clamp there. You could do the whole thing for cheap just get 2 of the 180* U bends, I dont think you really need any strait tubing, you can use the stairt off the legs on the U bends. Might need a foot or somthing. But U bends are like $20 each. make the Y if you good with a cutoff wheel to section down the bends so they fit nice. or vibrant makes great Ys, I cant think of the other places. race parts solutions??? and there SDPS (non scrogging' but similar name)

I did remove the cats (for the $200 or whatever in 2004? they were getting $$$ for) just to get mods. lol I think the tubing was 2 1/4? Just cut the stock flanges off (past the 02 on the one side to keep it) and weld off that.
Good advice, when I sold my cats I got $400 for them

Also, if you take the headers approach do the motor mounts, I'm kicking myself in the *** for not doing this while swapping to headers...
Old 01-23-2013, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by studderin

EDIT--
http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...Path=1022_1298
http://www.spdexhaust.com/CollectorsB.html

It's "Bassani", and "Scoggins-Dickey Performance Parts".

Stainless Works also has a full 304 catted y pipe, BUT the catcons are NOT in the stock location (VERY close to the exhaust manifolds/shorties), despite them being the OEM type, legal, ceramic core models which bolt right up to said manifolds/shorties.
So, IF you have visual inspections in the Great White North, and you get a knowledgeable ballbuster at the station, or spot check, they can STILL fail/fine you for not being compliant with this system, even though you are using stock manifolds, and OEM type catcons.

Quick Reply: Best flowing manifold Y pipe