Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Location of WideBand

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 06:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mista Blazer
Anyone? I thought about hooking it to the alternating 12v from the head unit but I already have my axxs controls for the steering wheel on it as well. I don't want to overload that wire
just run a fused wire from the battery and have the switched wire from the headunit activate it through a relay. use a decent relay and good wire and you can have a 30amp circuit that is activated by the small wiring of the headunit. i run a lot of accessories that i want to only have power with the key on off of circuits this way...usually a heated seat circuit or a radio circuit powering XM tuners and radar detectors.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put my wide band sensor in the cat delete pipe. I have LT headers, and brought a pipe which I can swap out to put in cats if I wanted to, and then it goes to the y-pipe. So my Wideband is about 2 inches back from the front o2 sensor. This is on the drivers side.

I took the output voltage wire from the gauge to the input of an unused input of the PCM (EGR valve) so i could monitor it with HP tuners, a little bits of maths to convert voltage to WBFR, certainly worth doing. I done this many years ago, but cant find my original write up for it, similar thread.https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...thout-eio.html
Old 03-01-2013, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Supposedly the AF reading does not change significantly after the cats. I need to look into this, as I am building a catted Y-pipe this spring.

Can anyone confirm wideband accuracy after the cats?

Edit, it will change, but sometimes not by much:
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/resources/news3.php
Old 03-01-2013, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimes
Supposedly the AF reading does not change significantly after the cats.
Only at WOT.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best to put the WB sensor before cats if you can to get an accurate reading as catalytic converters can store oxygen from the exhaust gas stream, usually when the air-fuel ratio goes lean. When insufficient oxygen is available from the exhaust stream, the stored oxygen is released and consumed. A lack of sufficient oxygen occurs either when oxygen derived from NOx reduction is unavailable or when certain maneuvers such as hard acceleration enrich the mixture beyond the ability of the converter to supply oxygen. So the catalytic converter is trying to clean up the mix, ideally you want to measure before it.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before the cats are a must. Close to the engine but at least 6-10" after a merge(like in LT's). The closer the better for response reasons. Not to close for the life of the sensor. It's best to have it mounted on the top 180* of the pipe facing down in case moisture forms.

You can run it in one bank. Just use the NB sensors to ensure both banks are fueling equally. I actually swapped a couple of my injectors from side to side until my banks read even. Then, with the WB in the driver side bank, I did my WOT tuning.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedWS6 00
Best to put the WB sensor before cats if you can to get an accurate reading as catalytic converters can store oxygen from the exhaust gas stream, usually when the air-fuel ratio goes lean. When insufficient oxygen is available from the exhaust stream, the stored oxygen is released and consumed. A lack of sufficient oxygen occurs either when oxygen derived from NOx reduction is unavailable or when certain maneuvers such as hard acceleration enrich the mixture beyond the ability of the converter to supply oxygen. So the catalytic converter is trying to clean up the mix, ideally you want to measure before it.
i dont have cats bud, right nowi have it placed in my rear O2 bung but im getting issues with the sensor or gauge.. this is what i get for buying used :c
Old 03-04-2013, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

you don't want the wideband sensor in the rear 02 bung you want it in the front preferably in the header collector right behind your front 02 sensor
Old 03-04-2013, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Undertow74
you don't want the wideband sensor in the rear 02 bung you want it in the front preferably in the header collector right behind your front 02 sensor
So i need to go and move the wideband up to where my cats used to be? i still have stock headers. this is all on the driver side
Old 03-04-2013, 07:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Undertow74
So you want the wide band sensor as close to the front o2 sensor as possible? Its also better to run the wideband on the drivers side vs. the passenger, Correct?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

AEM's instructions clearly state to " Mount the 02 sensor at least 18" downstream from the exhaust port and must be mounted before the catalytic converters.

Quick Reply: Location of WideBand