Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Redoing my 2002 z28

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 05:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 182 Likes on 141 Posts

i deff change the motor mounts. they are basically right there. I honestly wouls stay away from thew polyurethane motor mounts. A lot of memebers complain about them and vibration. I would sit with a stock replacement mount. I know a few people using stock mounts in the tens and 9's so you should be fine.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28SteveA4
i deff change the motor mounts. they are basically right there. I honestly wouls stay away from thew polyurethane motor mounts. A lot of memebers complain about them and vibration. I would sit with a stock replacement mount. I know a few people using stock mounts in the tens and 9's so you should be fine.
I am looking at midwest customs solid motor mounts, I've used solids in the past and I really liked them.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:19 PM
12 Second Club

you have used solid motor mounts on an aluminum ls block before??
Old 02-27-2013, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

you have used solid motor mounts on an aluminum ls block before??
No this is on a turbocharged h22a 4 cylinder engine it also has the balance shafts removed
Old 02-27-2013, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

completely different type of car i know
Old 02-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Launching!

i have poly motor and trans mounts on my car, torquer v2 cam. It definately shakes the whole car at idle and vibes a little while cruising. Its not that bad and i didnt build my car to ride nice and not shake.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

Well I went ahead and order the trunion upgrade kit and I also ordered some mwc solid motor mounts. I hope to wrap this up next week so I can take it to the dyno and get it tuned.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:55 PM
12 Second Club

that aluminum block wont like those solid motor mounts but report back to use about them and how much vibration you get from them.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

On another note I am playing with the idea of selling my ls6 intake and upgrading to a fast setup if anyone is interested. Its complete and comes with a ported tb 450$.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Well I am playing the parts waiting game for the next couple of days. I am now looking at different styles of intake manifolds. I know the most popular intake that everyone will suggest is the fast 92/92 setup. I am a bit curious with the professional products 96mm typhoon intake manifold, I know the older ones had issues with sealing up correctly but it seems like for the money it isn't a bad intake manifold (also comes with fuel rails). I've found very few dyno sheets but it seems like it doesn't make that much less than a fast 92/92 setup. So basically my ls6 manifold has sold. I listed that thing up on ebay and everybody and there brother wants to buy that thing. So over the next couple of days I need to figure out what intake manifold combo I want to go with

Edit* I see alot of carb intakes is there any real advantage to going to a carb setup especially since my car is already fuel injected?
Old 03-04-2013, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Well I decided to go with the typhoon 96mm intake manifold and 96mm throttle body. I decided to upgrade the maf to a larger one and also bought a 98mm lid while I was at it. I plan to get the car tuned here in 10 days so plan to see some numbers soon. I decided to go with the typhoon mainly because of the price and I plan to build another block here in the short future so i thought an aluminum intake would be a bit better for a larger shot of nitrous, these also already have the nitrous boss ports. So expect those dyno numbers soon!
Old 03-05-2013, 05:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pretty much everyone here does poly's and if you consider the small amount of people that complain its a very tiny percentage. especially with an oem trans mount you shoulnt even notice polys. I noticed no difference in my car with them and even my friends car that still has oem I cant tell a difference.

that aluminum block wont like those solid motor mounts but report back to use about them and how much vibration you get from them.
People run solid motor mounts on aluminum blocks all the time the block are plenty strong enough.
Originally Posted by patroick67
Well I decided to go with the typhoon 96mm intake manifold and 96mm throttle body. I decided to upgrade the maf to a larger one and also bought a 98mm lid while I was at it. I plan to get the car tuned here in 10 days so plan to see some numbers soon. I decided to go with the typhoon mainly because of the price and I plan to build another block here in the short future so i thought an aluminum intake would be a bit better for a larger shot of nitrous, these also already have the nitrous boss ports. So expect those dyno numbers soon!
The typhoon used to have a lot of issues but they have gotten better. However I have yet to see them make great power over an ls6. It is also made out of aluminum which like it or not will get much hotter than plastic and can contribute to heat soak depending on who you talk to. I suppose you could go back to a fast later on. But if you can I would return the typhoon and pickup a used 92 or 90 if you cant afford a new one
Old 03-05-2013, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

I plan to run the manifold, I am aware of the possibilities of heat soak, if I run this manifold and decide I don't like it I will buy a fast 92 setup for the car. Thank you for the advice though . I did find a couple dyno sheets from looking for info on google and most people that installed this did pick up some over an ls6 intake manifold. Like I said I bought it mainly because of the fact that I'll be running a direct port setup on my car and it already has the boss ports and the fact that is was half the price of a fast 92 setup. So even if it doesn't make as much power as the fast i'll be fine with it because i'll still have my nitrous.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

Lol all you hip cats made me change my mind when the ws6store called me I changed my order to a fast 92mm intake.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

I sat down and went through everything I have bought for the car, I think everything is here tomorrow. This is everything I bought for the car, I hope this will make it a whole different beast.

98-02 LS1 FAST LSX Intake Port Seal Kit (Set of 8)
98-02 LS1 Nick Williams 92mm Throttle Body
98-02 LS1 FAST LSX Replacement Hardware Kit (Stainless Steel)
99-02 LS1 F-Body (Plastic) Racetronix Fuel System- Options: Battery Ground Kit & Pump Booste
93-02 Auto Meter Single Pillar Pod
Aem Digital Wideband Air / Fuel Gauge
98-02 LS1 FAST LSX Intake Manifold (92mm Inlet)
PRC Stage 2.5 5.3L CNC Ported Heads
Texas Speed & Performance 1-3/4" Long Tube Headers
Texas Speed Stainless Steel 3" Off-Road Y-pipe
Texas Speed Rumbler Cat-back Exhaust System -magnaflow tips
Texas Speed & Performance Chromemoly Pushrods
GM Replacement LS7 Lifters
Cometic LS1 MLS Head Gaskets
ARP Hex Head Bolt Kit, Pre-2004 Blocks
fuel injector clinic 42lb injectors
4.10 motive gear and rebuild of rearend
Old 03-07-2013, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

a little comparison picture between the fast 92 and a stock ls6 manifold.

I am trying to figure out, the fast intake manifold doesn't have a mounting prevision for this, does that mean it is not necessary?
Old 03-07-2013, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

SO i found your best friend for cleaning up your block

Also if you hook 1/4 hose up to it say good bye to the coolant inside of your head bolt threads!

I got the first head on the car, it goes back so much quicker when you know what you are doing! I only had a couple bolts in on this picture but I've got it all torqued down now.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

I finally got my motor mounts, looking around online it looks like these will be the funnest thing I got to install. Anyone have any tips?

Old 03-09-2013, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Well I didn't get anything done on the car at all today I had to move a bunch of these fellows to there new home.

I did however get the last couple of parts that I was waiting for so that I can finish my car. I believe it will be a long monday night and a really long tuesday but I am going to try and have it 100% back together by tuesday....we'll see how well that works :p

Right now I have a ton of parts that are all ready to go on the car sitting in my office, and even more out in the garage :/

office shot
Old 03-11-2013, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

well tomorrow is the day that my car is going back together so I should have a whole bunch of pictures tomorrow, I am sort of reconsidering installing these motor mounts sense I found a write up and it says you have to drop the a/c compressor and the alternator. That seems like a pain in the butt

Quick Reply: Redoing my 2002 z28