Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast 92 and 92TB noob questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fast 92 and 92TB noob questions.

I am interested in buying the Fast intake and TB combo that they have on ebay but i have a few questions before i get myself into ending up buying or doing more things to it to install it. Will this fit directly to my stock 2000 TA? will the TB need any mods or the intake to install? Also in the pic down below whats the second cable for next to the TB? does the Fast TB have an attachment to that? and also the black hose that you see on the upper part of the cables and leads to the Intake manifold. Whats that for and does the Fast 92 support it? Do i need a new maf or will the stock one work? Sorry for all the noob question. thanks in advance.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-08-2013, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

should bolt right on, second cable is for cruise control. it'll have all that.. when you take the intake off, be carful of all the stuff at the back (sensors/hoses). and dont forget to change the valley cover bolts under the intake...you WILL crack your intake manifold if you dont change them...
Old 03-09-2013, 12:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

It will bolt right on.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "Black Hose" you inquired about is your EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) Tube. The FAST92 Intake does not come with the provisions to support an EGR System. You have two choices.

The first is what 99.9+% of people do and that's to remove the EGR System from their cars. I did this when I installed the LS6 Intake on my 1999 Formula. Its really simple to do. The EGR system mounts to the Passenger Exhaust Manifold/Header and you will need a Blockoff Plate to plug the hole once its removed. I had one made from some scrap steel, but I believe they can be purchased. Also removing the EGR Pump will result in an SES (Service Engine Soon) Light. An Aftermarket Tune from Frost can eliminate that.

Your second choice would be to modify your FAST92 to accept the EGR Tube. Essentially you would need to drill a hole in your $800 Intake, thereby removing any chance of ever selling it should you decide you want to.

Long-story-short. Ditch the EGR System, find a Blockoff Plate, bolt on your new Intake & TB and start saving for a Tune from Frost.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:04 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mumbles
The "Black Hose" you inquired about is your EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) Tube. The FAST92 Intake does not come with the provisions to support an EGR System. You have two choices.

The first is what 99.9+% of people do and that's to remove the EGR System from their cars. I did this when I installed the LS6 Intake on my 1999 Formula. Its really simple to do. The EGR system mounts to the Passenger Exhaust Manifold/Header and you will need a Blockoff Plate to plug the hole once its removed. I had one made from some scrap steel, but I believe they can be purchased. Also removing the EGR Pump will result in an SES (Service Engine Soon) Light. An Aftermarket Tune from Frost can eliminate that.

Your second choice would be to modify your FAST92 to accept the EGR Tube. Essentially you would need to drill a hole in your $800 Intake, thereby removing any chance of ever selling it should you decide you want to.

Long-story-short. Ditch the EGR System, find a Blockoff Plate, bolt on your new Intake & TB and start saving for a Tune from Frost.
This OP, or you could just buy new long tube headers!
Old 03-09-2013, 04:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mumbles

Who or what is this FROST? someone on the forum?
Old 03-09-2013, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Frost dose get mail order tunes .these cars are rich from the factory ,a intake swap shouldn't need a tune.use a scanner to datalog your fuel trims,and have it tuned if it is too lean or rich.I would get headers and a good exhaust system also.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AviatorRL
Who or what is this FROST? someone on the forum?
Frost is a fellow member who makes a living Tuning PCMs for these Engines. Do a search in the Tuning Section and you should find ample information about him and his services.

Originally Posted by garygnu
Frost dose get mail order tunes .these cars are rich from the factory ,a intake swap shouldn't need a tune.use a scanner to datalog your fuel trims,and have it tuned if it is too lean or rich.I would get headers and a good exhaust system also.
It can be argued that any number of Performance Modifications don't require that a car receive a Tune. Although any car, from Stock to any level of Modification, can/will benefit from one.

But this was not the reason for mentioning it in my previous post. I was simply stating the solution to the SES Light Problem that comes with removal of the EGR System.

The SES Light, in this case, won't affect the Engine's Performance, but if you're particular about your vehicle (as I am) and want to do the job correctly, a Tune is the proper way to eliminate the pesky DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code).
Old 03-10-2013, 03:46 PM
10 Second Club

Actually the 92 has about half a provision for the egr. It's setup like the n2o bosses. Everything is there you just need to punch out the hole. It's an option if you need to keep egr and pass emissions.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn. I stand corrected. Well... half corrected.

I'd suggest you be damn sure you really need to retain your EGR System before you cut into that Intake. As I stated before, the moment you punch out that plastic to fit the EGR Tube, you are throwing any resale value out the window.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:45 PM
10 Second Club

I hear ya. You make valid points I just noticed the op was in California.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:28 AM
Teching In

Thank you 1320 N no I doubt id sell it. Love my car to much to invest money into it then sell it. but well this is my plan for my car nothing big just bolt ons . I want to install the Fast n TB 92 . Idk what u guys think about SLP headers if not plz recommend me some and LM1 exhaust . is all i plan to do nothing big just basic .

N hopefully that does give me some boost after some dodge with turbo looking thing beat me n some mustang idk what it was but it picked up quick n i thought to myself yes i brought shame to the TA. we need to mod for sure. A flock of birds flys together right!!
Old 03-11-2013, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

hey man, if you ever need anything, we hangout in Burbank at the Bob's Big Boy on Friday nights. You should swing by sometime and you can see for yourself all the different set ups we run.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've seen some good vids on youtube illustrating the swap, looks easy enough for the 92mm since you can use stocker fuel rails. Def take Sommer86 up, local enthusiasts know about the mods and what they do to get around CA regs and sniffer testing. Personally, I'd install the fast 92/92 setup and IMMEDIATELY take to a tuner, hell they prob know a local tuner too! A tuner will dial it in, adjust fuel / air and get rid of service lights that will immediately fail you at CA inspection. Not sure if Long tube headers is an option there, but those guys would know. Sorry, I moved from CA 9 years ago and there was a lot I couldn't do back then
Old 03-12-2013, 06:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sommer86
hey man, if you ever need anything, we hangout in Burbank at the Bob's Big Boy on Friday nights. You should swing by sometime and you can see for yourself all the different set ups we run.

For sure man. when I get a day off from work I will stop by

Quick Reply: Fast 92 and 92TB noob questions.