Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built motor ls1 pcv sucking up a lot of oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 04:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Built motor ls1 pcv sucking up a lot of oil?

02 z28 a4

I have a built short block. It's a n20 motor, suppose to handle a 300 shot so idk how loose it is. Milled 5.3's with oversized valves, springs and seals. It also has a comp lsr cam

I got the car tuned shortly after breaking it in. 27* at wot 12.5 afr. I was getting a lot of pinging over time. I then learned about the pcv sucking up oil. Sure enough, my intake was coated. My spark plug threads were also getting covered in oil. Well Installed a husky air filter and I sea foamed it, and logged kr and wow, what an improvement. Since the it has been detonation free. I did a pull two days ago and all is well. After a 2000 miles I noticed some plugs (3 or less) still got a little oil on the threads. So I added a second filter inline, it can't hurt and its cheap. Both catch oil.

Went on a long drive to meet with a guy that helps with my car. Just ganna mess with shift points and what not. Well the temperature has jumped up ALOT since then. Pinged pretty bad doing a pull. Brought timing down to 23* and she pulls nice with no detonation... made me very happy! Tunes great and couldn't be happier, but I feel like the pcv is sucking up a ton of oil. The 2nd filter cut down the oil on the few plug threads. The car NEVER smokes at idle or wot. I feel like oil still gets by and cakes up on the pistons and a hot day is all it takes.

It used up a quarter of a quart of oil within 2350 miles of an oil change. The two filter each were prob an 8th full after doing 200 miles and wot pulls this weekend. Any suggestions? Could the timing have just been to much for this motor?

Last edited by flattusmaximus78; 05-11-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You could scrap the crappy ls1 PCV design that has lines running everywhere that like to slowly disintegrate and buy a 2004 ls6 valley cover and a catch can setup. When I adding the 04 PCV/Valley Cover to my car it didn't consume as much oil, and the catch can kept whatever wanted to go to my intake, my intakes always dry now
Old 05-12-2013, 08:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AmarilloWS6
You could scrap the crappy ls1 PCV design that has lines running everywhere that like to slowly disintegrate and buy a 2004 ls6 valley cover and a catch can setup. When I adding the 04 PCV/Valley Cover to my car it didn't consume as much oil, and the catch can kept whatever wanted to go to my intake, my intakes always dry now
Been trying to avoid doing all that. I will do one more carbon clean since it is clear that 1 filter wasn't enough to catch all the oil and pray. Then If I have to maybe it's time to do that.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:38 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 04 valley cover would be a big step in the right direction. A catch can will also help quite a bit. Have you talked about this to your engine builder? I wouldn't be happy with a engine consuming that much oil that fast.

See what's in our shop on Facebook! Customer Build Blogs!
www.pcmofnc.com
Performance Installs - Dyno Tuning - Custom Camshafts & Valvetrain - Remote HPtuners Tuning - Mail Order Tuning & Sales
704-307-4227
Old 05-12-2013, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Alvin@PCMofNC
A 04 valley cover would be a big step in the right direction. A catch can will also help quite a bit. Have you talked about this to your engine builder? I wouldn't be happy with a engine consuming that much oil that fast.
How much is better is a catch can over say two husky filters? And no, I'd love to, but the guy was a mistake to go to in the first place.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

stock pcv valve is made to work with the vacuum stock heads/cam makes. when you lower the vacuum the pcv valve opesn much more, and along with it... oil

you need to run a different pcv valve (some are a fixed orifice check this first), or a fixed orifice such that the valley covers have.

catch can obviously a good way to intercept the oil. some people make them with pcv valves built in
Old 05-12-2013, 02:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
stock pcv valve is made to work with the vacuum stock heads/cam makes. when you lower the vacuum the pcv valve opesn much more, and along with it... oil

you need to run a different pcv valve (some are a fixed orifice check this first), or a fixed orifice such that the valley covers have.

catch can obviously a good way to intercept the oil. some people make them with pcv valves built in
I'm open to this idea. Is there alternative factory fixed orifice pcv I can purchase, or one I can place inline of my current system? Or an for that matter.

I honestly don't think the engine is consuming oil. I think the pcv is taking way to much out of the crank case. I drove it 80 miles in 95* weather the other day and it didn't smoke at at all after tons of pulls. The filters caught oil though, no doubt.

For the record, I don't think I'm building to much crank case pressure. No leaky rear main, popping out dipstick, no leaks anywhere on the motor.

EDIT: I found the fixed orifice pcv. I run the stock pcv lines into the stock pcv. Then some hoses into a husky, then hoses into another husky, and then back into the intake. Can I run the new pcv with the old one so I don't have to chop of the factor $80 assembly. For ex. Just place it on the new rubber hose between the stock pcv and the filter. Or does it fit in the stock location? Appears to be the same.

Last edited by flattusmaximus78; 05-12-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a nice catch can with LS6 cover... works great!
Old 05-12-2013, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by high n dry
get a nice catch can with LS6 cover... works great!
From my understanding the ls6 valley cover is no diff than getting the diff pcv valve?

I don't see how a air compressor filter would be better or worse off than a catch can. My brother runs a catch can on his blown 06 gt for years. Does the same thing. I don't think it traps moisture as well.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

depends on the catch can and depends on the coalescing filter.

the valley cover does not have a pcv valve in it
Old 05-12-2013, 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just went to advance in search of:

fv391 (would take 5 days to arrive)
acdelco cv948c (didn't have)
12572717 (didn't have)

Cross referenced BWD # PCV 484 there is one of these in town. Is this the correct in fitting in the stock location?

And to mighty mouse, the filters are huskys as stated.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...6e0f1f_300.jpg
Old 05-12-2013, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i bought one of those CHEAP air compressor filters..........found it would not hold a vacuum.....yep the damm think leaked ......got me a AMW catch can........and yes i already have the LS6 VC.....it really works !!!
Old 05-12-2013, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine holds vacuum just fine it seams.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Found pcv 484 by bdw. Def the fixed oriface pcv I was looking for. I'll keep this updated, maybe it will benefit someone. My second filter isn't in a really hot location, but it hovers over the radiator hoses. Going to move that to a cooler part of the bay as well. Ganna do an mccc cleaning to start fresh with the new pcv and see how long she holds up with out getting gunked up again.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Pcv fit in like stock. I thought I ripped that big boot it slides in, but that metal strap I guess slips in and cups the pcv valve it self. I slid that back in. The stock valve was hard to yank out as I bought the pcv whole assembly new for my new motor. The new one can wiggle out now. I might toss a worm clamp on it for kicks.

Car idled a little high at first at like 1000 then came down. Then again maybe once or so at 900. I went out and put maybe 2 miles on it. Did a few pulls from 0 to 100 and 20 to 100. Afr's were usually 12.5 at wot. Saw it creep up to 12.8 before a 6300 rpm shift. I had some timing pulled out of the car prior so Idk how much of a change that was.

Usually After I clean my filters I have some oil mist in them after a quick cruise. Nothing after long pulls which is nice.

Last edited by flattusmaximus78; 05-14-2013 at 08:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Built motor ls1 pcv sucking up a lot of oil?