Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turn motor over with coils unplugged?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default turn motor over with coils unplugged?

reason im even asking this question is im following the installation for heads and cam swap off ls1howto and they state before actually starting the car to unplug the coil packs and to turn the motor over for 4 seconds? is this true to do? im assuming that this is to circulate oil to avoid a dry start but hoping someone could clarify?
Old 05-22-2013, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I unplug the coils and pull the fuse for my fuel pumps, then crank the engine over until the oil pressure comes up on the gauge. This usually takes 10 - 15 seconds

You want to listen for any bad sounds and it primes the engine with oil.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is done to lift the lifters into the trays so they will not drop when you pull the cam shaft.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry I didn't read that you said before you start the tare down.

You can also take 3 of the water pump bolts and thread them in the cam and use that as a handle to turn the cam over quick to make sure the lifters are up in the trays.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

NO i already have done the install....im asking if i should follow their procedure for starting the car, they state this "Now, make sure the radiator cap is removed and the coil packs are disconnected from the wiring harness (leave the spark plug wires all connected, just disconnect the wiring harness going to the packs), and get in the car. Insert the key and turn the motor over for 4 seconds...it wont start as long as you've disconnected the coil pack wires."

just want to verify that i should do this before i turn on the car.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes unplug the the 2 big plugs to the coil packs. The car wont start because the coils have no power. Crank the moter over with the starter.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:34 AM
TECH Addict

I don't like the idea of the dry spin priming technique. IMHO, not even required if your engine is not new and has been ran recently. Did you lube the cam lobes and journals? Lube the lifters? Pour oil over the valve springs and fire it up.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
I don't like the idea of the dry spin priming technique. IMHO, not even required if your engine is not new and has been ran recently. Did you lube the cam lobes and journals? Lube the lifters? Pour oil over the valve springs and fire it up.

i completely saturated the cam in oil same as the lifters but its been at least a week or two since i did that, wasnt sure if i should prime it first per ls1howto.com
Old 05-23-2013, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blackfbird98
i completely saturated the cam in oil same as the lifters but its been at least a week or two since i did that, wasnt sure if i should prime it first per ls1howto.com
I would just fire it up.

Quick Reply: turn motor over with coils unplugged?