Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed my exhaust again! **Update! Pics!!**

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm wondering if I can get rid of the rasp with a different pair of mufflers? How about two dynomax bullets?
Old 06-25-2013, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sail Hatan
Here's the best I can do at work

http://youtu.be/fU-iCJzhokg
Thanks, reinforces my next setup, now if only my car was cammed. Your car sounds great , be proud man
Old 06-25-2013, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea I'm in for suggestions on the rasp reduction, I'm still piecing my system together, all I have is the x pipe. I know nothingAbout the different types of mufflers and what should sound like what. I do know in some threads the sweet thunders had the nicest, deepest sound on true duals
Old 06-25-2013, 05:28 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm wondering if I can get rid of the rasp with a different pair of mufflers? How about two dynomax bullets?
Look at the Classic Chambered PowerStick mufflers. Everybody who's ever ran Powersticks say there is no rasp at all. I've got two sitting next to me I'm about to install in place of my current SLP LoudMouth II mufflers I have (which I will be selling soon)

Here's a video I found and convinced me to buy the Powersticks. Dumped of course, but you get the idea.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Add some high flow cats, and you should reduce or eliminate the rasp.

It's done! Not sure if I'm crazy about the sound. It's a little more raspy then it was, and that makes me sad, cause that's the whole thing I was trying to avoid.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder how often it hits the PHB on bumps...

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
under the axle, barf .
Old 06-25-2013, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 146 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
under the axle, barf .
Mine runs under the axle.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 146 Likes on 118 Posts

I have cats and no rasp. Love the sound of the exhaust.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I wish I could run a setup like this, but I live in Nazifornia
Old 06-26-2013, 05:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

How has no one suggested Sweet Thunders? I'm doing the EXACT same setup (but I'm keeping mine dumped) with S.T.'s....
Old 06-26-2013, 06:07 AM
10 Second Club

My exhaust has hit nothing yet. It's awesome. Are sweet thunders bullets? I was also lookin at power sticks, but with all the time and money I have invested into my exhaust I can't spend the money on them.... Yet.

Also replaced my alternator yesterday and it's not charging, so I have to fix that.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

My exhaust has hit nothing yet. It's awesome. Are sweet thunders bullets? I was also lookin at power sticks, but with all the time and money I have invested into my exhaust I can't spend the money on them.... Yet.

Also replaced my alternator yesterday and it's not charging, so I have to fix that.
Yes! Check them out. Come in many different lengths too. Google and youtube them!
Old 06-26-2013, 08:34 AM
10 Second Club

Ok, maybe ill stick a few of those in the straight portion of my exhaust. I'll see how my alternator goes before I do this.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it possible to make an H-pipe fit? My neighbor has a 2009 Mustang GT that he just got some Flowmaster 40's for, and he had a catless X-pipe in the car that didn't really sound good with the Flows, Pypes, or even the stock mufflers. So he bought a MAC Power Chamber, which I believe is a chambered H-pipe, and it sounds soooo much better. I've never been a huge fan of the x-pipe sound, the h-pipes always sound much smoother to me. If I ever go true duals, I'm gonna try to make an H-pipe fit, as I'm not concerned with the few hp I might lose over the X, the sound is way more important.

I wonder if maybe you could even get the Power Chamber to fit? It's not a big piece at all really, I checked it out last night for myself.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:45 PM
Launching!

I did this set up a few weeks back (stainless true duals) w/ one chambers and I had to have custom 12" long bent intermediate pipes made to clear the torque arm and the driveshaft. Sounds killer but too much interior drone for me. I will post pics and video as I am going to sell the one chambers, hangers, and intermediate pipes so someone can just bolt it right up to their TSP true dual set up and run the one chambers with lots of ground clearance and no issues. I am going to go with bullets and run it all the way out the back to corsa clones now.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by idle
How has no one suggested Sweet Thunders? I'm doing the EXACT same setup (but I'm keeping mine dumped) with S.T.'s....
Check out the inside of the ST. They neck down to 2.5" with louvers everywhere to disturb flow. I was considering them too until I started researching flow. ST also makes one that has a 2.75" inner diameter. The powersticks have 3 inch inner diameters. I went with Flow 10s as I have always loved the single chamber Flowmaster sound but as I do some more research, call companies to get the actual cfm flow numbers and at what parameters they got them, and talk to people that build exhausts for big hp motors the more I lean towards either the Dynomax bullets or the Magnaflow bullets. Yes people say chambered mufflers sound better (and from what I hear online I agree) but at this point I am leaning more towards flow and will let my future cam do the talking not the mufflers. Right now the plan is to keep it stainless so I am leaning towards the Magnaflow 14419 as that and the Dynomax are basically a 3 inch straight pipe inside that is surrounded by some packing to make it a 4 inch diameter case. Decisions decisions I have been spending way too much time looking at sweet thunders, powersticks, magnaflow bullets, and dynomax bullets...in the end all of them kill the sound made by all the rice rockets around here and the lack of sound from all the hybrids and electrics...
Old 06-27-2013, 09:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The rasp is from running it out the back. Now the exhaust has nothing to resonate off of like the ground and the underside of the car. People are all teh time talking about duals this and duals that. I have built more exhaust for these cars than I can count and I have tried about everything.

If you want it deep and rasp free then it has to be dumped. The sound of these cars has less to do with the choice of y pipe or duals and more to do with where you terminate the exhaust
Old 06-27-2013, 09:18 AM
10 Second Club

I thought that might be the issue, since there was zero rasp with it dumped.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:46 AM
TECH Junkie

I thought that might be the issue, since there was zero rasp with it dumped.
You're right on. I took a guys car with TSP duals and extended them out the back and they rasped like a ****. Sounded like the worse pickup truck with glasspack sound ever, just by adding a piece of pipe behind each muffler. I can build a y pipe setup with a FM merge and 4" pipe with a bullet and turndown and it will be deeper and better sounding than any duals out the back and it will sound virtually the same as duals dumped.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:59 AM
TECH Junkie

As a matter of fact I built a system on a friends car with a y pipe and a diesel aeroturbine muffler that kills any sound of duals

Quick Reply: Changed my exhaust again! **Update! Pics!!**