Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally Spending $ on Kooks LT+TD

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finally Spending $ on Kooks LT+TD

Hey so I finally spent some of the $$ I've been saving up for a while. Ordered my Kooks LT 1-7/8" Headers with no EGR/AIR, Kooks catless True Duals with quad tips, O2 sensor extensions, and a BMR drive shaft safety loop from Maryland Speed. I also ordered MSD Wires, NGK TR55 spark plugs, and Prothane poly motor mounts from the WS6 store. Finally I have my single adjustable panhard rod with rod/poly ends and panhard bar relocation kit from Founders Performance.

I'll be ordering a bunch of tools tomorrow as well but is there anything else I may have forgotten? I just want to make sure I have everything before I get started. I plan on taking 2 or 3 days of vacation to dedicate just to working on putting all of these parts on.

I'll probably be using this write up during my install because it seems easy to follow and has lots of pictures:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...otsa-pics.html

Anyway, just wanted to post because 6 months ago I didn't know the first thing about working on a car and now I'm ready to do a header install. This site is an awesome source of information and everyone has been very helpful. I may post some questions on this thread if I get stuck but hopefully it goes smooth. I'll be sure to post a video/pics once it's all done.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

best sounding exhaust setup ever. congrats man! will compliment your car well
Old 08-08-2013, 10:39 PM
Banned

Thanks for the order. Anyone else looking for a great deal on this setup, feel free to call us @ 443-730-9428!
Old 08-12-2013, 09:05 PM
Launching!

My Kooks headers and true duals arrived today and I feel like it's Christmas, I can't wait to get everything installed and fire her up. I did have one issue though, I decided to put everything together beforehand just to make sure everything fit together like it should. For some reason the left over-axle pipe seemed to be flared and I had to use a pipe expander to get the left tail pipe to fit over it but still not sure if it's going to work. I think when the time comes I can probably beat it on there but idk if it will ever come off afterwards. Everything else fit together like a glove. Here are some pics:

Here is the pipe I was having so much trouble with...you can see I barely got it on there. It wouldn't go at all before I used the pipe expander.

Pipe expander that I rented:

Old 08-12-2013, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

Congrats on your purchase! Make sure to update us with your install. Im kinda thinking about going true duals myself.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats....love mine. Wish I went catless, but may fix that soon enough. If you haven't thought about it already, OEM gaskets for the headers.....lots of patience everywhere else.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:06 AM
Launching!

Thanks guys ill be sure and update this thread during my install. Someone told me the headers come with gaskets but evidently they do not. Ill try and get those ordered today. Patience....wish I had more of that.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I will be very surprised if you are not either bald, completely grey headed, or an alchoholic by the time you get that exhaust system on and get it right. Thats if you get it right

On a positive note its pretty!
Old 08-13-2013, 08:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Full-Force
I will be very surprised if you are not either bald, completely grey headed, or an alchoholic by the time you get that exhaust system on and get it right. Thats if you get it right

On a positive note its pretty!
Thanks for the vote of confidence haha. I think the alcoholic part might be spot on tho.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The factory metal exhaust gaskets are a lot better than the aftermarket cardboard gaskets. They are reusable too. Don't bother with buying any more exhaust gaskets you already have the best available with the OEM gaskets.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

congrats on buying a sweet exhaust...im jelly..... definitely post up some sound clips when you're done!
Old 08-13-2013, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by slt200mph
The factory metal exhaust gaskets are a lot better than the aftermarket cardboard gaskets. They are reusable too. Don't bother with buying any more exhaust gaskets you already have the best available with the OEM gaskets.
So your saying I should re-use the OEM gaskets? Also, are broken header bolts very common? I've had my share of twisting the heads off bolts and its not fun...
Old 08-13-2013, 12:46 PM
Banned

Thank you for choosing Kooks! Please let me know if I can help you with the gaskets for this kit.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by s7ven
So your saying I should re-use the OEM gaskets?
Buy new.....
Old 08-13-2013, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

So your saying I should re-use the OEM gaskets? Also, are broken header bolts very common? I've had my share of twisting the heads off bolts and its not fun...
Get new OEM gaskets.

Step one should be soaking those bolts at least 24hrs in advance with penetrating oil. Soak them a day before, an hour before and a few minutes before. And make sure to use a 6pt socket, no 12pts!

I went ahead and replaced my stockers with stage 8 locking bolts, but originally I just used some stainless generic bolts. Apply anti-seize, silver not copper!

Good luck!
Old 08-13-2013, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
Get new OEM gaskets.

Step one should be soaking those bolts at least 24hrs in advance with penetrating oil. Soak them a day before, an hour before and a few minutes before. And make sure to use a 6pt socket, no 12pts!

I went ahead and replaced my stockers with stage 8 locking bolts, but originally I just used some stainless generic bolts. Apply anti-seize, silver not copper!

Good luck!
New OEM gaskets and loctite silver anti-seize ordered and on the way. Thank you for the tips, do you have a certain penetrating oil you prefer? I was just going to use some PB Blaster....I've got 3 bottles of the stuff. Also, got tons of sockets 6 and 12 so I think I'm set there.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

PB plaster will work, also, get ready for busted knuckles!
Old 08-13-2013, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

New OEM gaskets and loctite silver anti-seize ordered and on the way. Thank you for the tips, do you have a certain penetrating oil you prefer? I was just going to use some PB Blaster....I've got 3 bottles of the stuff. Also, got tons of sockets 6 and 12 so I think I'm set there.
Not to get too far off topic, but I saw an article where they ranked penetrating oils by how much force it took to release "scientifically rusted" nuts. It showed actually that Penetrating Oil by Liquid Wrench was much better than PB Blaster. It also showed the best stuff was a 50/50 mix of Acetone/ATF. I work with Liquid Wrench and love the stuff!
Old 08-13-2013, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Thank you for the tips, do you have a certain penetrating oil you prefer?
Awesome purchase, I recommend Kroil by Kano for penetrating oil. Works great and can pick it up at most hardware or auto stores.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Launching!

Not to get too far off topic, but I saw an article where they ranked penetrating oils by how much force it took to release "scientifically rusted" nuts. It showed actually that Penetrating Oil by Liquid Wrench was much better than PB Blaster. It also showed the best stuff was a 50/50 mix of Acetone/ATF. I work with Liquid Wrench and love the stuff!
Awesome purchase, I recommend Kroil by Kano for penetrating oil. Works great and can pick it up at most hardware or auto stores.
I am definitely going to give the Acetone/ATF mix a try but I'll pick up a can of Kroil as well. I wish I knew about the Acetone/ATF mixture when I was helping my buddy tear down his rusty 69' vette....

I'll just be super careful with the Acetone/ATF since I know it will eat paint and plastic.

Quick Reply: Finally Spending $ on Kooks LT+TD