Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ported my LSX 78mm........

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ported my LSX 78mm........

My friend spent 8 hours the other night porting my LSx intake, and holy crap did it turn out sweet. The intake ports measure 1.15 wide now, where as the LS6 intake is a hair over 3/4 inch The intake is ALMOST DEAD ON ***** port matched to my SII heads, It looks like the intake is 1/16th bigger that the ports on my heads. I have pics, just need to get them from my camera, to my computer. I smoothed out all the porting, and it's as smooth as glass... Just thought I would tell you all.. Take care......
Old 05-06-2004, 11:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoremoney
I smoothed out all the porting, and it's as smooth as glass... .
You don't want your intake ports on your intake or your heads to be smooth as glass. There always left a little "textured" to help with fuel atomazation. Smooth ain't always best. I'd also be looking into grinding the edges of your heads to fit the intake. If the ports are bigger than the heads, there will be a ridge that will cause turbulence. I'd remove the bottom portion of the LS-X and bolt it to the heads. You can port match from there. That's why the intake is 3 piece.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
You don't want your intake ports on your intake or your heads to be smooth as glass. There always left a little "textured" to help with fuel atomazation. Smooth ain't always best. I'd also be looking into grinding the edges of your heads to fit the intake. If the ports are bigger than the heads, there will be a ridge that will cause turbulence. I'd remove the bottom portion of the LS-X and bolt it to the heads. You can port match from there. That's why the intake is 3 piece.

what he said .......if the intake is bigger the the ports on your heads you will lose air flow.....
Old 05-07-2004, 01:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by needmoremoney
intake ports measure 1.15 wide now, where as the LS6 intake is a hair over 3/4 inch
Bigger is not always better. But as long as you are happy....
Old 05-07-2004, 10:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
We're talking EFI, not carbed right?

Don't really see how you come up with that assumption when the air is "dry" before the injector.

Old 05-07-2004, 10:39 AM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as far as the smoothness of the ports on the heads themselves he is correct, there needs to be a bit of roughness. on the intake i'm not sure but i would assum that's ok for it to be nice and smooth as not fuel is there yet to mix with the air.

when i ported my LsX i smoothed the surface out but didn't go crazy on it, its just not rough.

and yes overporting can have negative effects..that turbulance or "reversion" as its usually called will hurt performance
Old 05-07-2004, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

There's nothing wrong with port matching, that's why the LSX manifold is designed to be easliy ported. The intake is not matched to every set of heads out there and will require some port work to match up to your particular heads.
As has been stated, the intake is "dry" and therefore doesn't carry atomized fuel.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

True, guess I should stop and think about it every now and then. Smooth manifold, textured intake on heads. Makes sense, since the injector fires into the head.