Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pfadt Tri-Y Headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 08:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never heard of dropping the cradle to install headers. I installed my long tubes in a little less than 2 hours. You disconnect the motor mounts (much easier on a Vette compared to F-Body) and just tilt the motor depending on what side you're doing. Or at least that's how I've always done them. Lowering the subframe sucks lol
Old 01-13-2014, 09:05 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Agreed on all accounts. It sucks I have to, but that's where we are. All 4 of the 21mm bolts are loose and backed all the way out. The two motor mount nuts are off.

I'll get under there and play around in a bit. I hope I don't have to drop it, but if I do I do.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:01 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Old 01-13-2014, 05:01 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Headers are finally in.

Let me be the first to say, holy hell. What a job that was. 2 floor jacks, one supporting the motor and one literally holding the subframe. I think we dropped the subframe a total of 10" at one point.

You WILL need to remove the grounds on either side of the block, as well as the starter wires. Even then it's still right and the stars have to align to get them in. But... They're in.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Unless you're installing Phadt's. It's required to completely unbolt the motor mounts (the bottom 2 nuts) and then drop the entire cradle.

Funny thing about them is the damn near slide in from the top. It's ridiculously close, but far enough to know you can't.
Interesting.

Problem is, Phadt manufactures the nicest set of headers one can order for the C5 imho - short of maybe having a guy like turbojoe custom weld something up, which would obviously be a little ridiculous for a NA application.

Excited to see what she looks like all buttoned up. Doing anything else while you have her in pieces?
Old 01-13-2014, 06:43 PM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No pain no gain Good on you going thru the motions!
Old 01-13-2014, 08:49 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
Interesting. Problem is, Phadt manufactures the nicest set of headers one can order for the C5 imho - short of maybe having a guy like turbojoe custom weld something up, which would obviously be a little ridiculous for a NA application. Excited to see what she looks like all buttoned up. Doing anything else while you have her in pieces?
I agree. It's a lot of work, and not for the "not so mechanically inclined" but I think it'll be well worth it in the end.

I'll try to get some pics up in the morning, bit before I install the X and after.

Nothing else planned right now. Gotta get all the bolt-ons done for the time being. Then, my wife has been patiently waiting for a few things so that has to come first before I delve any deeper into this.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice progress man !!! Those headers are Fuc$in' artwork....That Corsa is
about to get a LOT throatier....you'll enjoy making it bark on command of the
loud pedal...LOL....Also those GS wheels look real sinister for sure....
Old 01-14-2014, 07:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice looking headers and nice garage, looks like plenty of space. Great feeling to get a job done that's not exactly a walk in the park.

-J
Old 01-14-2014, 04:50 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Didn't get a whole hell of a lot done today...

Brought the upper control arms back up and bolted in, and bolted down the bottom of the front shocks. Cleaned the heads. Got new intake manifold gaskets, and the plugs / wires should be here today from Aaron @ Texas Speed (Awesome service!!)

Heads aren't "perfect" but that's all I'm doing till I pull em off.

Found out the O2 extensions I have won't work. 04 uses a square plug, and not a straight inline plug.

Pfadt was awesome about it though and offered to overnight them to me. I opted to just use the rears as the fronts. Gonna swap a few PCM pins tomorrow.

Here's a quick teaser shot of the passenger side. Only one bolt holding it in for now...

Old 01-14-2014, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just bought a GoPro this week. Besides my headers being a 4 into 1 we have the exact same exhaust. Here's what you can expect
Old 01-14-2014, 08:23 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by AmarilloWS6
I just bought a GoPro this week. Besides my headers being a 4 into 1 we have the exact same exhaust. Here's what you can expect Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx2huqEkcGw
That sounds GOOD.

I'm unsure what I have though. Either the Touring, Sport, or Pace Cars.

Apparently the only way to know is by looking in the inlet of the muffler.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
That sounds GOOD.

I'm unsure what I have though. Either the Touring, Sport, or Pace Cars.

Apparently the only way to know is by looking in the inlet of the muffler.
Thanks man, that's with bolt-on's only too. I can't wait to hear it after a cam The Xtremes have a "straight-pipe" parallel with the muffler like this, a friend of mine has them on his H/C/I c5 Z06, it sounds sooo crazy good! The Touring/Pace Cars look the same from the outside, not sure how to tell those two apart except that the Touring mufflers sound almost no different than stock. I'm excited to hear them with the Tri-Y's.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad to see you got it all finished up Dave. I can't wait to see what else you have in store for the Vette.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:46 PM
The Scammer Hammer

I just text a big long response here and mobile crashed on me again... I'll update tomorrow
Old 01-15-2014, 12:39 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Yay mobile crashes!

I'll have to tell you about rat poop soup you can get in Ghana...

Btw, I have the Casper square port extensions. I decided against reusing the O2 sensors stuck in my stock exhaust and went with the Bosch Vette Rear 02s for my car, so I'm just sitting on these Casper extensions.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:23 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
Yay mobile crashes! I'll have to tell you about rat poop soup you can get in Ghana... Btw, I have the Casper square port extensions. I decided against reusing the O2 sensors stuck in my stock exhaust and went with the Bosch Vette Rear 02s for my car, so I'm just sitting on these Casper extensions.
Ghana is such a hole... I actually didn't get to take the rig (drill ship) to the Bahamas to go pick up a new BOP. People say my passport looks like I'm an international arms dealer, lol.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:37 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Well color me surprised.

There it is. #8 primary touching the corner of the starter. I'm unsure at this point if #8's seal is torqued all the way now.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Headers look awesome!
Old 01-15-2014, 01:55 PM
The Scammer Hammer

I've gotta repin the PCM at this point now. No turning back. On the body side of the O2 harnesses, one is male and one is female. So to run the rear O2's, I'll have to swap PCM pins so the rears act as the fronts, just like some of us did in our FBodies.

I'm definitely a bit frustrated at this point. I'll cut into the starter with a grinder though before I dent that primary.

Guy on CorvetteForum had the same problem as me, also with 1 7/8" primaries. He opted to heat and dent it.

At least the X fits good and looks good.

Quick Reply: Pfadt Tri-Y Headers