Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FBODY: Is anyone using the Shaved Truck intakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99WS6_
I'm trying to put a 5.3 in my old school wat truck intake is the good one I'm guessing the nbs and nnbs 5.3 & 6.0 without egr correct?
If you can find a cheap trail blazer ss intake go with that. They can be highly ported and come standard with a 90 mm throttle body. Otherwise go with any early truck intake you can find. Egr block off plates are easily made or bought.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

And IIRC the 8.1 just doesn't slide right into the engine bay of our Fbodies... another reason I gave up on that idea. I can't do a lot of that kind of work myself.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 345 Likes on 233 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by RONIN LSX
So is anyone using the shaved/smoothed truck intakes in their Camaro or Firebird?

I'd like to see someone do this with a truck intake also...

(I'd like to steal your avatar too)
Old 12-28-2013, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by CattleAc
I'd like to see someone do this with a truck intake also...

(I'd like to steal your avatar too)

The Cat is MINE!!!!!
Old 12-29-2013, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

That's why this thread are for those that DID cut their cowl or is willing to.
I'm sorry, my post flew over you. I have an inherent flaw where I think everyone thinks with simplicity, so I often don't explain myself which leads to confusion. I will take the time to explain so you can understand my original post of "it won't fit under the cowl, and most don't want to do that" <close enough.

What I meant to say is, that f-ing intake is ugly as sin. I wouldn't want it under my hood ever. Second, it's designed for torque, but I don't wanna pull boats, I want HP. And third, the most important, if I was gonna cut my cowl for an intake, it for damn sure wouldn't be a stock one. That all being said, in my eyes this thread is worthless. This website has been around 10+ years and I cannot recall seeing one f-body running a truck intake. Not saying they don't exist but don't ya think that's kind of a funny coincidence?
Old 12-29-2013, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ssr intake is a good one aswell with the 90mm tb
Old 12-29-2013, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I'm sorry, my post flew over you. I have an inherent flaw where I think everyone thinks with simplicity, so I often don't explain myself which leads to confusion. I will take the time to explain so you can understand my original post of "it won't fit under the cowl, and most don't want to do that" <close enough.

What I meant to say is, that f-ing intake is ugly as sin. I wouldn't want it under my hood ever. Second, it's designed for torque, but I don't wanna pull boats, I want HP. And third, the most important, if I was gonna cut my cowl for an intake, it for damn sure wouldn't be a stock one. That all being said, in my eyes this thread is worthless. This website has been around 10+ years and I cannot recall seeing one f-body running a truck intake. Not saying they don't exist but don't ya think that's kind of a funny coincidence?

No.... I got your point, and that's why I posted - "That's why this thread are for those that DID cut their cowl or is willing to."

. And if no one has done it, fine, but more difficult things have been done so why not this. And who care if it looks like a hot log of ****.... well I guess it almost does... but as long as it produces power, that's all that matters.

This thread is obviously not for people like you
Old 12-29-2013, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

And that's the point, it really doesn't produce power which makes it even more pointless to install it. It's for a truck, it combined with other matched parts produce a powerband suited for a truck. My car isn't a truck, and I'm sure most others really would agree. In my eyes its still a stock intake which makes it the bottom of the barrel, I mean lets be honest here......the faster you go, the less and less of stock parts remain on a vehicle. What you are suggesting, that there is a reasonable reason to install this intake, does not exist. I'm not here to kill your dream, you wanna hack up your car to install that garbage that's your business, just don't be surprised when others don't follow or you get negative responses when people see it.

And all the previously BS was so artfully comprised entirely in my one sentence initial post. It's a gift really.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

And that's the point, it really doesn't produce power which makes it even more pointless to install it. It's for a truck, it combined with other matched parts produce a powerband suited for a truck. My car isn't a truck, and I'm sure most others really would agree. In my eyes its still a stock intake which makes it the bottom of the barrel, I mean lets be honest here......the faster you go, the less and less of stock parts remain on a vehicle. What you are suggesting, that there is a reasonable reason to install this intake, does not exist. I'm not here to kill your dream, you wanna hack up your car to install that garbage that's your business, just don't be surprised when others don't follow or you get negative responses when people see it.

And all the previously BS was so artfully comprised entirely in my one sentence initial post. It's a gift really.

lol... thank you for the gift

I'm not a fan boy of this mod, I just wanted to know who did it and if they got power. In the end, it's all conversation at the virtual coffee table.

If no one ever looked outside the box, we wouldn't be where we're at.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well that's why I came in, to see if anyone was willing to post up. We may have crickets however.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

What you are suggesting, that there is a reasonable reason to install this intake, does not exist.

Well someone thought they would try it...

Name:  Picture005-11.jpg
Views: 7935
Size:  86.8 KB

Name:  1025121837.jpg
Views: 8661
Size:  152.0 KB
Old 12-29-2013, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

NICE! Did they get any #s!?
Old 12-29-2013, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

NICE! Did they get any #s!?

Don't know...here's his thread...(I just borrowed his pics)...

Thread: Link
Old 12-30-2013, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you say no phuchin windshield wipers. Plus it looks like a major turd. Nothing to gain using that fugly intake. If ya like to be different phuchin go for it. Its a free country.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Actually I am pretty sure results show the FAST LSX RT intake makes a good bit more power than the FAST car intakes, especially in the midrange. I think it was Tony Mamo who was praising the FAST truck intake in comparison.

The stock truck ones though? Doubtful.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's a fast intake. No one said there wasn't a reason for a fast aftermarket intake, we are talking about stock intakes. Try to keep up next time.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slt200mph
Can you say no phuchin windshield wipers. Plus it looks like a major turd. Nothing to gain using that fugly intake. If ya like to be different phuchin go for it. Its a free country.
Some of us dont mind not having wipers....

That's a fast intake. No one said there wasn't a reason for a fast aftermarket intake, we are talking about stock intakes. Try to keep up next time.
LMAO...and that gift keeps on givin!

This thread fails at just about every level....appearance, feasibility, performance. I mean honestly, have we not skinned the cat a million different ways with the current intake set-ups out there? Just to want to explore what we already doesnt fit, looks like **** and doesnt make anymore quantifiable/justifiable power to cut the living hell out of the car?

Seriously need a facepalm smiley....
Old 12-30-2013, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

looks ugly, why bother
Old 12-30-2013, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Some of us don't mind not having wipers....

What part of "if you like to be different phuchin go for it" did you not underpuchinstand...... I'll be happy to explain the big words to you.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran the Gen 3 truck intake/TB on my H/C 383 motor for almost a year, and it absolutely fell on its face after 4000 rpms. Swapped to the ported lsxrt and that problem was solved. I don't have any numbers, however the difference was huge.

Basically, I would not use the Gen 3 truck intake for any engine build that is remotely performance-oriented.

Quick Reply: FBODY: Is anyone using the Shaved Truck intakes