Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New intake at SEMA: MSD Airforce

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 01:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Well well well....

It's amazing what information you can find out by actually picking up the phone and talking to folks...

I called MAST bc I'm trying to sort a head decision (which looks like it'll be the small bore LS3's) but that's a different topic and discussion entirely.

Chris @ Mast was talking to me about intakes and brought up the new MSD atomic... Lingenfelter was NOT the only company to conduct testing with these.

They were sent 3. They did dyno testing back to back with a regular run of the mill LS7, and the MSD simply blew the FAST out of the water, with gains EVERYWHERE, averaging about 20 over the Fast. The key is the design of the runners themselves, he said.

As we know, Mast builds a LOT of motors, and have always used Fast intakes. That's now going to change I'd imagine. They were very impressed, and the conversation was very enthusiastic, for a piece they don't even have or can sell yet.

Both intakes were brand new straight out of the box, unported and untouched.

Chris is going to talk to Horace and see if he will allow me the videos of the dynos, as well as the charts and all from the tests. If so, I'll have their full permission to post them here.
Is that against a 102 lsxr intake? So it performs close to a lsxrt but not as tall or ugly? Interesting.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it beats my fast then I would sell it in a heart beat. However the ls7s I saw with big gains were worked over with a can at least. Lingenfelter even said so idk what masts was though.

There's a BIG difference between a 427 ls7 and 346 ls1 not to mention a cathedral head won't flow what an ls7 head will let alone with a cam. I. Want to see a comparison on a cam only ls1 and then one with h/c. My thinking is it will be pretty close cam only.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im watching this closely. I have a Mamo ported FAST 92mm. It would be a big "in your face", if when the MSD units come out, they offer a swap your intake deal so guys with the FAST can send in their units and get a discounted MSD!!
Old 12-20-2014, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
If it beats my fast then I would sell it in a heart beat. However the ls7s I saw with big gains were worked over with a can at least. Lingenfelter even said so idk what masts was though.

There's a BIG difference between a 427 ls7 and 346 ls1 not to mention a cathedral head won't flow what an ls7 head will let alone with a cam. I. Want to see a comparison on a cam only ls1 and then one with h/c. My thinking is it will be pretty close cam only.
Same here. Waiting for those results too.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

I doubt the gains will be much on a 346...just a guess tho.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:42 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

A fast 102 picks up on a STOCK 346... I'd expect STOCK results to be similar between the two. I whole-heartedly expect the MSD to gain more on a modified H/C engine. The runners alone are a better shape to begin with.

Mast's tests were on a stock LS7. Lingenfelter's were on modified engines.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is all good and offers hope.

I am just a bit turned off that when I spoke to the manufacturer they couldn't provide me any information or answer any questions.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:41 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by ss performance
This is all good and offers hope. I am just a bit turned off that when I spoke to the manufacturer they couldn't provide me any information or answer any questions.
I read that statement from you... Gen4 section I believe?

Yeah I'm a bit at a loss on that myself. I don't know WHY they wouldn't know, or wouldn't discuss the information. They should've sent the most personable people they employed and really got out there and rang that cowbell.

It's odd to say the least; certainly did them no PR favors.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:36 PM
10 Second Club

I read that statement from you... Gen4 section I believe?

Yeah I'm a bit at a loss on that myself. I don't know WHY they wouldn't know, or wouldn't discuss the information. They should've sent the most personable people they employed and really got out there and rang that cowbell.

It's odd to say the least; certainly did them no PR favors.
Yeah, with vendors taking money and the product due to ship in a month, I'm surprised there isn't a half-dozen independent results from various well-known tuners plastered all over the internet already.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:18 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm sure once it hits the market, we're going to see how good it really is.

I talked to both MSD and Lingenfelter at SEMA, and they both had a lot of good info about the intake, and the Lingenfelter guys were really impressed with it. They were the ones who convinced me it's the way to go with FI.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well well well....

It's amazing what information you can find out by actually picking up the phone and talking to folks...

I called MAST bc I'm trying to sort a head decision (which looks like it'll be the small bore LS3's) but that's a different topic and discussion entirely.

Chris @ Mast was talking to me about intakes and brought up the new MSD atomic... Lingenfelter was NOT the only company to conduct testing with these.

They were sent 3. They did dyno testing back to back with a regular run of the mill LS7, and the MSD simply blew the FAST out of the water, with gains EVERYWHERE, averaging about 20 over the Fast. The key is the design of the runners themselves, he said.

As we know, Mast builds a LOT of motors, and have always used Fast intakes. That's now going to change I'd imagine. They were very impressed, and the conversation was very enthusiastic, for a piece they don't even have or can sell yet.

Both intakes were brand new straight out of the box, unported and untouched.

Chris is going to talk to Horace and see if he will allow me the videos of the dynos, as well as the charts and all from the tests. If so, I'll have their full permission to post them here.
Very good to hear.. wonder how it's going to hold up under boost compared to the FAST. I've got a Procharged C6Z now I would maybe like to try it later on after others are the guinea pigs. It's no wonder FAST came up with the new runner designs last minute to compete with MSD.

The MSD does not look nearly as good as the FAST though. Looks easy enough to sand the lettering off and then finish it with a satin wrinkle black finish however.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:15 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by djfury05
Very good to hear.. wonder how it's going to hold up under boost compared to the FAST. I've got a Procharged C6Z now I would maybe like to try it later on after others are the guinea pigs. It's no wonder FAST came up with the new runner designs last minute to compete with MSD. The MSD does not look nearly as good as the FAST though. Looks easy enough to sand the lettering off and then finish it with a satin wrinkle black finish however.
Meh... I think it looks better myself. We (Vette crowd) are gonna have a hell of time with the firewall and cowl...

Also, I've noticed in other pictures the top shell gasket looks MUCH better than Fast's rope gasket. The MSD's looks like it's made from the same material as our port seals... Very robust!!
Old 12-20-2014, 08:34 PM
10 Second Club

Very good to hear.. wonder how it's going to hold up under boost compared to the FAST. I've got a Procharged C6Z now I would maybe like to try it later on after others are the guinea pigs. It's no wonder FAST came up with the new runner designs last minute to compete with MSD.

The MSD does not look nearly as good as the FAST though. Looks easy enough to sand the lettering off and then finish it with a satin wrinkle black finish however.
That's what kills me with the MSD. The branding/logo on it really kills it astheticly. But, like you said, should be easy enough to grind it down and paint it.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I had thought the fast intake was more of a restriction on the ls7 heads (because they flow so much more) so I wonder if the gains won't be so great on the cathedral heads. I have a fast 92 on a 427 w/ TFS 235 heads so it would be awesome if I could gain that much.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Still interested to see some tests done on a modified ls1 with the new fast intake and the msd. I think the MSD intake looks absolutely horrid even with letters grinded off and painted lol.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:34 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by Bill00Formula
I had thought the fast intake was more of a restriction on the ls7 heads (because they flow so much more) so I wonder if the gains won't be so great on the cathedral heads. I have a fast 92 on a 427 w/ TFS 235 heads so it would be awesome if I could gain that much.
The LS3 Fast was the under-performer. The LS7 Fast is a good piece.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 426 Likes on 337 Posts

A fast 102 picks up on a STOCK 346... I'd expect STOCK results to be similar between the two. I whole-heartedly expect the MSD to gain more on a modified H/C engine. The runners alone are a better shape to begin with.

Do you have a link to the Mast ls7 tests?
Old 12-21-2014, 05:50 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Do you have a link to the Mast ls7 tests?
Replied in other thread as well: they're shipping my heads either Monday or Tuesday so I'll call back and see (if they can) if they'll shoot em to me so I can post. This was all relayed via conversation with them.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree but on a stock ls1 a fast 102 doesnt pick up much if anything more over an ls6 because the engine simply doesnt need the air. My thinking is that even a cam only ls1 wont benefit much because even it is not as air hungry as a 427 ci motor.

Cam only I think they'll be pretty close but as you get into Aftermarket castings or larger cubes the msd will shine more but for a simply cammed 346 either intake will be on par with eachother
Old 12-21-2014, 08:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sit back and see how it works for the Alchemist. He's going to be running one on his Procharged WS6.

Quick Reply: New intake at SEMA: MSD Airforce